High-lift bottle jacks - where to get for sensible money?

FridgeFreezer

I have a cheapo 20T bottle jack that is great - it's strong enough(!), stable and lifts to ~490mm which would normally be plenty...

However, clearance to the bottom of my diff is 430mm and to the axle tube (which is square and therefore a nice stable jacking point) is 510mm.

I've made a 100mm extension that sits on top of the jack and allows me to lift high enough to change a wheel... just... but it'd be nice to have something I don't have to faff about with.

Telescopic bottle jacks seem to be 10x the price of normal ones, Sealey want around £150-200 for anything half decent compared to around £30 for a 10T or 12T single-stage bottle jack. WTF? :huh:

Am I missing something? Anyone got any suggestions?

Me too John, me too. (For the Mog of course, the vapour requires a 0-tonne jack of 0 lifting height...)

I think I started a thread in the tools forum.

Why not just fab up a nice tall (& wide) base for your bottle jack? I think I will. Or lift it with an engine crane.

I think Andy used an extension piece on his regular jack.

Al.

:)

Al - the jack has a decent base, I welded a big plate (100x100x10mm) to the top and the extension piece that mounts on top is 50x50 box, it's just a faff having to unscrew the threaded extension on the jack and stick the extension piece on the top before jacking. A smaller (10-12t) jack that lifts to ~600mm would be perfect but they don't seem to exist. :(

BTW I've found a cheap and effective air-jack for your vapour build, it's even available in different colours for the style-conscious :P

metallic.colors.balloons.jpg

Thanks john - those jacks are a bit too heavy-lift for my project, but I'll bear them in mind if I can't find something more suited to its size.

Don't fart about. Make up a fat old axle stand stylie base/frame and weld / bolt on a nice beefy jack. I'm not in favour of putting the jack at the bottom, as any play in the jack-to-extension interface will be exacerbated by the long extension arm (i.e. for a given angle of play, you'll get a greater offset at the top of the jack due to the arm length). Better (stabler) to put the jack on a frame.

Al.

Good call, the last try was just too flimsy to support the weight:

lotus_gaysex.jpg

Ryan - well spotted, not sure how I missed that :unsure:

It isn't flimsy - its light :lol:

Why bother changing the jack setup you've got???? The one on top of the other arrangement I saw you using before very safe. Sorry, did I say safe? I meant suicidal.

Why bother changing the jack setup you've got???? The one on top of the other arrangement I saw you using before very safe. Sorry, did I say safe? I meant suicidal.

It was still much more stable than a hi-lift, bloomin' things <_<

John - why not just engine crane the front or back towing points and throw some axle stands under?

Err, carry an engine crane round if I want to change a wheel? :ph34r:

I know you like to think outside the box but that's fairly radical as solutions go...

how about making a strong box to keep the jack in that doubles up as a wider and taller base for it? you could even make it quick release on the side of a chassis rail to keep space in the cab, would also relocate some extra weight lower down? hows that for thinking inside the box eh?

How about a different extension - try a piece of box, or CHS that fits over the existing "end bit" on the ram. Part way up the CHS blank it off with a thick plate. the position of the plate should be such that the lower portion of the ram acts as a guide against the inside of the CHS.

Above the plate continue the CHS up to the desired height and finish with your choice of "cup" to bear against the axle.

Does that make sense? Thickwalled tube, "cup" on one end and internal bearing plate part the way along.

There, clear as mud :)

Doubt it. Do you know how high it goes? (Can you measure?)

The 2" lift on yours doesn't affect the diff/axle clearance. Apart from the 265s its just the standard Land Rover clearance.

Big tyres + portals = tall jack.

Al