Electric cooling fans.

Steve 90

Need to sort a new fan for my truck as I'm doing a few more alterations, Including moving the rad and its probably the best time to do a proper job of sorting it out. Previous attempts have always been last minute/in a hurry lash up's.

Ive always used whatever fan Ive had lying around but getting fed up of this as they are usually getting toward the end of their useful life. Also 99% of car fans don't even attempt to keep water out and when they do go up in smoke I can never find a direct replacement. The fact that a challenge truck spends large amounts of time running, not moving and relies heavily on the fan makes me think it deserves some attention. Plus the fact I think Ive used everything I have "lying around" and don't have either the time or patients to go trawling through the scrap yard/ebay looking for something, then spending time making brackets that could be spent on the million and one other fabrication jobs I have planned over the next few months.

So I'm looking for a decent quality electric fan that will go (easily) on the back of a 300tdi radiator. Kenlowe seems to crop up all the time. Whats the quality like? Do they have any form of waterproofing around all the bits of electricery/bearings? And what do people make of the mounting system? Its probably just me being fussy but pushing a pin through the gap between the fins then putting some sort of fitting on the back side to hold the fan just doesn't seem right! Anyone got experience of these, Good or bad?? or any other suggestions?

Many thanks.

Steve.

have you looked at Spal fans? I've one in mine and it seems well made and I believe they are quite waterproof when not running.

I wouldn't go the tie wrap thingies that Kenlowe use. I just use 3 ladder type brackets to mount the fan.

Hi Steve

I've had a kenlowe on my 90 for the last two years with no troubles and I aint shy of the water. I know what you mean about the fixings but they work fine, you can always fab a mounting bracket as you would mounting any non standard fan.

Cheers Dave :D

Hi Steve,

Have a look at the electric fans from a 200Tdi Discovery- they are 10" Spal blower fans. I picked one up for £10 from a scrappy and mounted it in front of the rad on my 200Tdi 90 with two lengths of Ali angle- very quick and easy. You can probably fit two on to one rad if there are no other things in the way.

Kenlowes seem to be very overpriced- and the thermostats supplied are scarp (I would use the one from X eng)

Pacet do fans that have the motor sealed from water etc but again you pay the price...

Hi Steve,

Have a look at the electric fans from a 200Tdi Discovery- they are 10" Spal blower fans. I picked one up for £10 from a scrappy and mounted it in front of the rad on my 200Tdi 90 with two lengths of Ali angle- very quick and easy. You can probably fit two on to one rad if there are no other things in the way.

Kenlowes seem to be very overpriced- and the thermostats supplied are scarp (I would use the one from X eng)

Pacet do fans that have the motor sealed from water etc but again you pay the price...

I only have about 1/2 an inch between winch and Radiator so fitting one in front isn't an option. I wouldn't use the thermo switch as I use the X fan housing and a switch I sourced for the correct temp.

I just want a reliable (suck) fan that's not going to give me grief and I can pick up the phone and order it without hastle (coz Ive got more than enough to do on the truck otherwise) and if I ever do need to, I can order another as a direct replacement that will bolt into whatever brackets I have to make (I really dont want to have to mess with brackets but I really don't like that malarkey the kenlowes come with)

Hi Steve,

I have a kenlowe sucking fan on my bob, and like you rely on it to keep going as I have a v8. I have ahd it on there for around 2 1/2yrs and works perfectly. Through water I switch it off and out the other side, at a flick of the switch, it comes back on, EVERY time. Very trusted and reliable.

HTH

Rhys

Steve,,a tad away from what you are looking for, but a while back, the Hybrid (V8 auto) always gave be cooling problems etc,,

Tried a kenlowe, with not a lot of success !! and even they say in the small print, to refit a viscous if you are going to work the vehicle hard, ie towing, etc !!

I cured mine with a pair of Mondeo a/c fans, and Si's, X-fan switch/housing etc,

As i have very little space behind the rad, the cowing was trimmed down, and now it will tick over all day and the temp will not move,

Steve,,a tad away from what you are looking for, but a while back, the Hybrid (V8 auto) always gave be cooling problems etc,,

Tried a kenlowe, with not a lot of success !! and even they say in the small print, to refit a viscous if you are going to work the vehicle hard, ie towing, etc !!

I cured mine with a pair of Mondeo a/c fans, and Si's, X-fan switch/housing etc,

As i have very little space behind the rad, the cowing was trimmed down, and now it will tick over all day and the temp will not move,

I've never had any cooling problems up till now (except when the fan aint working) with just one fan so I think one will be fine. Also theres not really enough room for two, especially with the intercooler etc. Think The v8's do need a bit more!

i use a facet 12" fan, had it on for a few years now, never a spot of trouble. and its been submerged more than a few times. chris abel has one on his rangie, been on for no time and it packed up. sent it back and had replacement, no questions so i'd say thumbs up to them.

i use a facet 12" fan, had it on for a few years now, never a spot of trouble. and its been submerged more than a few times. chris abel has one on his rangie, been on for no time and it packed up. sent it back and had replacement, no questions so i'd say thumbs up to them.

Do you know of a decent supplier of the Pacet fans? Google doesn't seem to bring much up!

What burns out electric fans is them trying to start them in mud.

The mud holds the fins and the motors burn out.

If you must go electric then heres another vote for Spal, but personally i would use a BIG viscous unit as they are far better suited to our needs.

Just my thoughts

Jim

Ps: My trayback did have an electric on it and i have changed back to a viscous, it did not fail i just felt it was not doing what i needed it to do and was always a constant source of concern.

I did have a Kenlowe on my truck, but that did not last long, there is nothing to stop the inside of the motor filling up with mud.

The Pacet fans have waterproof motors which makes them more suitable for what we do. you can get them from demon tweeks or go direct to pacet.

I did burn out one pacet fan motor but that was because it got jammed up with mud, i had not finished the ducting! like Simon said i got it replaced with no questions asked.

As jim said the original viscus is the best way but not posible with a radiator in th footwell!

What burns out electric fans is them trying to start them in mud.

The mud holds the fins and the motors burn out.

If you must go electric then heres another vote for Spal, but personally i would use a BIG viscous unit as they are far better suited to our needs.

Just my thoughts

Jim

Ps: My trayback did have an electric on it and i have changed back to a viscous, it did not fail i just felt it was not doing what i needed it to do and was always a constant source of concern.

Totally agree about the viscous unit Jim and if I could use one I would. Unfortunately that's one down side of running a disco 200Tdi in the defender, It wont fit. I did have plans of finding the necessary bits to convert it to defender spec then I could re fit the fan. Its not worth it now tho as the days of my truck being Tdi are numbered.

Going to have a hunt round for a spal tonight, Thanks for the advice everyone.

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Slightly OT im afraid but im about to get a leccy fan on my truck. i should imagine it will be a pacet 12" fan as im local to demon tweeks!

Slightly worried about all the mud though, would it be worth me making a big surround for it and mounting it on that, or would it be better without?

For a standard 200tdi is 12" the best size to go for?

Cheers

Chris

I have used Pacets in the past and been underwelmed by the resiliance to mud and water - oh and the amps draw is HUGE :(

Now I have Kenlowes, and these were free hence why :lol: fitted, I have already fitted one with a new motor as the old one (ok unsure how old / state of it) died, but the new motor cost was horrendous, but I was sort of in a corner.

As with the others, if I was doing this again I wouldn't use either of the above - I would try Spal as I have heard great things about them :)

Nige

Previous attempts have always been last minute/in a hurry lash up's.

Even when you sort this i bet its the same!!

heard good things about Pacet fans, i wouldn't go the Kenlowe route to much £££ for wheat you get and the mounting as you say is cr*p.

Having said all that am running twin mondeo fans on mine!

Guest WALFY
Even when you sort this i bet its the same!!

heard good things about Pacet fans, i wouldn't go the Kenlowe route to much £££ for wheat you get and the mounting as you say is cr*p.

Having said all that am running twin mondeo fans on mine!

James are they the fans from me? I ran another set on my V8 (when I could aford it) never had any problems with cooling

Interesting to see the advice on Viscous fans, this confirms my decision to keep with the viscous as the replacement for the failed unit. If this isn't as effective as I am hoping, I plan on fitting an electric fan to the front of the radiator. No immediate plans for a winch mean plenty of space, but would this effect flow of air through the radiator adversely, or would the fan make up for this if there is any effect?

[Teaser Warning]

It's probably jumping the gun a bit - as it's only a prototype (Mk3) and won't be ready for a few months but I have an alternative to viscose and electric fans which gives the advantages of both.

post-74-1212964940_thumb.jpg

post-74-1212964933_thumb.jpg

post-74-1212964926_thumb.jpg

It's a fan operated by an electromagnetic clutch. It's taken some time (over a year!) and effort to get to something which transmits enough torque and where the clutch plates last long enough - but save for a few issues with the manufacture of the coil - it works rather well!

Thanks to all the people who 'donated' old fans to me last year for the first prototype and to Nick (RogueVogue) Watts for the motor to test it with.

It can deliver up to 6 times the cooling of an electric fan (based on power consumption), but when switched off has almost no drag on the engine. You can run it with a thermostat, override it on or off with a switch - and if for whatever reason, it fails - you can lock the clutch plates together with a pair of bolts and still have cooling.

It is the same thickness as the viscose unit (which was a challenge in itself). The distance from the nose of the water pump to the front of the hub is only 15mm - so it will fit V8's where the fan is very close to the rad.

I think this might revolutionise the whole electric/viscose fan market in Land Rovers - and it will cost less than a replacement, patterned viscose hub!

[/Teaser Warning]

Si