Electronics booty fab - retro chic air/fuel ratio meter

It started as an experiment with the LM3914 and ended up as a functioning, if rather makeshift, AFR meter:

web_front.JPG

• Made on breadboard - check
  • Badly soldered - check
  • Using mostly recycled components picked up off the floor - check
  • Works perfectly - check
  • Likely to earn me a disapproving chuckle from TSD - check

web_pcb_top.JPG

web_pcb_back.JPG

With a little more finesse it might look OK stuffed into the gauge cluster, I'm tempted to do another two for temperature and voltage, just need to work out how to work with the non-linear temperature sender (my electronics design is way too rusty for a simple thing like that).

For those who are interested, it gives a dot readout from 0-1v, as you can see there's very few components to it, the circuit is basically straight off the LM3914 datasheet with a tweaked reference resistor pair.

Now theres an idea. Didn't decide to go for the solid bar flash lighty when maxed out version thats on the data sheet then.

Didn't think it was really relevant to the AFR as it's very hard to be dangerously rich. It could perhaps be made to flash when really lean but TBH it was midnight and I couldn't be arsed :P

GPS wouldn't be fast enough for traction control - not a problem though as MS already has anti-rev traction control, I've just not worked out if it'd ever be useful. The LR ETC system is actually very effective but it would need extra hardware, and having lockers I can't see a need to fiddle.

• Likely to earn me a disapproving chuckle from TSD - check

Who, me? Nah, I dont get to dissaprove of that... I put one in a standard 52mm (?) guage housing about 6 years ago, before I'd even installed my first megasquirt. I'm not bling enough to use vero though, real engineers cut the tracks directly into plain board with a scalpel :lol:

It might still be around here someplace... will have a look.

GPS wouldn't be fast enough for traction control - not a problem though as MS already has anti-rev traction control, I've just not worked out if it'd ever be useful. The LR ETC system is actually very effective but it would need extra hardware, and having lockers I can't see a need to fiddle.

It can be made to work if your GPS signal is good enough.

Retard the ignition very quick to reduce power and thats how that works.