strange engine number

Dano

Thanks FridaT. I'll stop worrying about it. lol. This one was built in late 80. Must just be a different valve cover design. On my IIa and III engines, the oil filler is midway between two of the valve cover bolts. On the 109 2.25, the oil filler is butted up against the front valve cover bolt. Must just be a cosmetic difference.

• 8 years later...

Just wondering, It's been long since someone wrote something regarding this topic but I'll give it a try.

Just bought a 1958-60 series II 88 inch truck cab and the engine number makes no sense to me, E48014001.

It's a diesel (perhaps the block used to be from a petrol)

Any thoughts about it?

Edited by DEF90PY

• 7 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I've still got questions and perhaps others do as well. My engine does not have a engine number. I've lightly sanded the vertical area and nothing. The surface doesn't appear to be smooth enough for a stamping. I do have the block casting "541874" with "AN" stamped above it.  I have a mystery head as well. The only stamps visible on it are 6 and BM on the top left side.  I was trying to find the compression for tuning purposes.

Have a look on the horizontal surface above the forward cam gallery cover, below the forward spark plugs or injectors.  That is where later engines (2.5s)were often stamped, though more typically Tdis.  My 12J had its number stamped in that same old spot behind the water pump.

Just a heads up (and I’m not trying to scare you) but back in the day it was common for stolen engines to have their number destroyed to prevent it being traced by punching over the numbers to make them illegible.

Just with you saying the machined surface isn’t smooth I wanted to highlight this but it should be obvious that the surface is peppered with dents and looks like the surface of the moon.