recommended diesels?

jameslwt

Slightly O/T so I appologise in advance, but 1)having got a new job requiring more travel, and 2) having had our vw polo squashed in an accident today, I need to start considering an extra vehicle that is 'slightly more economical' to drive on a day to day basis than my 110. (don't worry - I'll still keep it for 'fun'!) Much as I love it, I need to be looking at 40mpg +.

The requirements are:

medium to large - sort of Mondeo size I guess

Hatchback or preferably an estate

Diesel, and not horrendously difficult/technical/expensive to repair and service (ie nothing too flash!!).

Must have cruise control and aircon

Oh, and up to about £3k.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what might suit? I desperately want to avoid anything french, even though they have cracking diesel lumps, as I have had peugeots more than once before, and they tended to fall to bits - not impressed with build quality.

Cheers

James

I use a Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi Elegance estate which I have had from new in 2001. I have done 125,000 miles without major problems. In town I get 45-55 mpg and on a run I get 55-65mpg. I used to get a bit more when the mileage was between 10k and 100k. I do a lot of trailer towing too, anything from 500kg to 1300kg The only thing that have failed is the aircon pulley. It went twice, both times failing just after I had the timing belt changed at 50k and 100k. I am leaving it broke until the next belt change as it can only be done at the same time for little more money. Otherwise it is £600. The front brake discs have been changed twice so far and the next change should be at the 140,000 service at this rate. Tyres are wearing at a rate of 25k for the fronts and 40k for the rears. Dealer service at about £120 at 10k intervals. Only thing mine hasn't got is cruise control but other models do.

It is such a good car I will be replacing it with the same again but maybe with 4x4 for better trailer towing.

Hey,

Might be worth a look at a Mazda 6, generally very solid and very reliable cars though services are not always the cheapest, you shouldnt have to visit the garage for anything more than routine maintenance. Becoming cheaper now to due to the new model being released.

Only other manufacturer I can think of is VW and the Passat .. loads of engine options but I dont know much more about them sorry.

I use a Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi Elegance estate which I have had from new in 2001. I have done 125,000 miles without major problems. In town I get 45-55 mpg and on a run I get 55-65mpg. I used to get a bit more when the mileage was between 10k and 100k. I do a lot of trailer towing too, anything from 500kg to 1300kg The only thing that have failed is the aircon pulley. It went twice, both times failing just after I had the timing belt changed at 50k and 100k. I am leaving it broke until the next belt change as it can only be done at the same time for little more money. Otherwise it is £600. The front brake discs have been changed twice so far and the next change should be at the 140,000 service at this rate. Tyres are wearing at a rate of 25k for the fronts and 40k for the rears. Dealer service at about £120 at 10k intervals. Only thing mine hasn't got is cruise control but other models do.

It is such a good car I will be replacing it with the same again but maybe with 4x4 for better trailer towing.

echo what night train said- have exactly the same car as him for one of my salesman. brilliant vehicles. Comfy, reliable, easy to drive and economical. Would do what you want perfectly.

You "might" struggle to get something for £3k but a trip to BCA would probably get you something ok.

I think my one, if I was to sell it would be about £4250 as a private sale according to Parkers but the Ambient version would be about £3700. But these prices are for 70,000 mile versons. Mine is nearly double that and still no problems. So if you can find a high mileage one with a service history you might be in luck.

Hi James, DONT BUY a Peugeot 406. Looks like it ticks all of your boxes on paper, but ours is in it's thrid phase of have mystrious faults that cost a huge amount of money. 30K and 2 years, it's had:

• Engine replacement due to conrod failure
  • A repeated mis fire
  • a new alternator
  • a failed injector
  • an injector needing re-seating

oh, and a new ECU, new BIS (body ECU) and new keys.

Nice....

Hi James, DONT BUY a Peugeot 406. Looks like it ticks all of your boxes on paper, but ours is in it's thrid phase of have mystrious faults that cost a huge amount of money. 30K and 2 years, it's had:

• A repeated mis fire
  • a new alternator
  • a failed injector

Nice....

Don't worry Rich......don't want to touch another pug with a bargepole! :rolleyes:

Ive done 400,000 miles total in a couple of Mondeo estates 97 & 98, one was lpg and the other was diesel, tough cars. LPG car blew its head gasket at 150k and the diesel was the most reliable car i have ever had. Cheap maintenance and a very versatile and comfortable car available with all the toys in Ghia trim. The mondeo was the biggest estate in its class..

I would be wary of the newer Mondeos with high milage, eg, if you have to replace an injector, sit down with a glass of strong stuff before you ask the price........

The French make great cars for fleet buyers, but I wouldnt buy one with my own money.

How about a BMW 525tds (E34) cheap as chips to maintain and run. High milage cars with FSH shouldnt frighten you off. The same goes for the Merc 300td/290td W124/W210

Just my observations,

Cheers,

Neil

Have you thought about going for a petrol engine?

I know it makes your choice more complicated but they are generally cheaper to buy, cheaper to service, diesel fuel is now 5% more expensive than petrol and regarding fuel economy your right foot has far more of an effect than petrol v diesel.

I like your thinking John but it would just get modded etc etc! One Land rover causes enough problems in our house!

The petrol Vs diesel debate is a very valid point, going as far as I have just put a deposit on a petrol Mondeo. I've had the day off today so sat down and worked it out in regards to the mileage I'll be doing, and there was so little in it. Nothing special but it will serve our purpose nicely!

• A repeated mis fire
  • a new alternator
  • a failed injector

Nice....

I would like to go against that by 180 degrees: my 406 HDI is 50 mpg every time, you cant fault them, mine has 130000 miles and not one part failing to date. I agree on skodas being good cars (had one myself as a company car when I worked for them), but value for money secondhand I found very hard to beat a diesel peugeot full stop.

daan

Daan: It's good to hear you've had a good 406 experience, the only reason I still have mine is that when it works it's very very good. Be afraid though because when they're bad they can be VERY VERY bad - how about a £1600 bill from a Peugeot main dealer eventually torn up because the engineers couldn't find the cause of the fault and Peugeot didn't want know because it was 7 years old :ph34r:

James: You should of said - I have a 60K full-service-history Mondeo going up for sale very cheap as soon as the Peugeot's fixed. Mind you it is a V6....

what about vauxhalls? something the likes of an astra? dont think they cost much over there, and the later models shouldnt suffer too much from reliability...

I've just had the play of a new 1.6 petrol Astra and a new 1.8 petrol Zafira as hire cars while mine is off the road. I normally get around 60mpg in my diesel but I only got 32mpg and 33mpg out of the Vauxhalls respectively. Not sure how much the diesels would do though.

I can wholly recommend Passat Estates, get the one with the 130bhp PD engine and you're laughing, rag it hard and get 42mpg, be nice and get 52+mpg, loads of toys (auto wipers, dimming mirrors, climate, cd changer...usual stuff) as a lot were exec cars, my old one (sold to my mum) has done 120K - ive got the same engine in my A3 and ive done 160K in it and its still strong.