200TDi oil disposal...

Orange

I wonder if anyone might be ale to shed some light on this subject?

Whilst parking the car at silly angles during JSTs last event at Wellington the oil light would flicker for a few seconds every now and then. After 2 hours of the drive home, we stopped at a petrol station to refuel and when on tick-over the oil light flashed like a mad flashing thing on national flashing day!!!

Open the bonnet and there is steam coming from the filler cap and a nice spread of oil all over the engine bay, under the car and up the back end!

After a litre of oil and some hours more driving, I pulled up at home and it happened again.

Has this happened to anyone before, or can someone offer some pointers as to why it might be doing it?? The best I can do is suggest that the crank case is being over pressurized, but that's as far as my knowledge goes....

TIA

Adrian

Just in case anyone reading thinks that I am having a pop at the previous owner, I'm not!! The engine has been faultless until this last weekend.

Anyway...any suggestions, anyone??

Head gasket would be my first thought - they usually fail between 3 and 4, pressurising the block. You would normally expect to see it "chuffing" as the piston comes up though.

Matt

Adrian, me old fruit,

I've seen this a couple of times on 200TDi engines now, and both times its been the same thing :( . The rear cam bearing can twist backwards into a bit of void space between the end of the cam and the core plug :o . This exposes the oil way and reduces the oil pressure while on tick over. The way to tell for sure is to take off the little rectangular inspection plate at the back of the engine. You can then see the cam and hopefully the bearing. If you can't see the bearing, get a very thin pokey stick, something like a paper clip and see how far in it will go. Any more than a few mm and you're probably suffering from this.

Of course it may not be that bad... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Good luck

Dan

Sadly this one is closer to 200,000... :o

Bring it over Adrian, I'm getting pretty good at head gaskets now... <_<

Would probably be a good idea to check the cam bearing as Dan suggests though before we rip the head off.

Head gasket was new at about 140k and I used a good quality branded one with new bolts. That is not to say it could not have gone again but IMHO reduces the likelyhood. Have you checked that the engine breathers are clear? That could result in vapours from the filler cap...

It did the oil thing to me a couple of times, both times when the oil was REALLY hot after a long climb with a disabled 90 on a trailer and once again in the Pyrenees after a long climb. Did it get better once it cooled down? Try good quality new oil? I changed it after my incident and it was fine.

Chris

after a long climb with a disabled 90 on a trailer and once again in the Pyrenees after a long climb

Chris

i beg to differ it was fixed on the way back when the light came on and it was only for 10miles or so wasn't it......... :ph34r: :ph34r:

Cheers guys.

We did first suspect the head gasket, but there is no sign of anything around the no. 3/4 piston. I have noticed a black smear of oil running around the bellhousing now, though.......

Dan - is the cam bearing relatively straight forward to replace? I guess it would be easier with the head on the bench, so replacing the head gasket while we're doing it can't hurt...?????

Anyone got a part number for the cam bearing in a 91 200TDi Defender?? I can give the VIN and Engine No by PM if it will help...

We did first suspect the head gasket, but there is no sign of anything around the no. 3/4 piston. I have noticed a black smear of oil running around the bellhousing now, though.......

I've had the head gasket go on a 300Tdi. Failed between no 4 cylinder and one of the pushrod holes. Nothing to be seen externally, but pressurised the crankcase and chuffed like a steam loco.

What Dan described is a commonish fault on the 200Tdi and requires a line bore and new cam bearings - BUT it lowers the oil pressure big time as it exposes an oil way as the cam bearing moves forward. Something is forcing oil out of the engine. I would say it's a head gasket. Howevere are you losing water or are you using extra fule/not reading low on the dipstick? By the way the cam problem is the result of an un thrashed lump being thrashed....

What are you saying, Mr Hobbit?? You saw how little I was thrashing the engine on Saturday!! I was letting the TDS do all of the work.

No water loss is apparent, but the car is jacked up on axle stands at the moment.... There is also no sign of cross-contamination between oil and water. Also wasn't running overly warm on the run back, so all-in-all there aren't many pointers to the head gasket, but I suppose it's worth checking while I'm dismantling it...

Just thinking out loud... if you were really at silly angles then is it possible that the head filled with oil and some of it got pushed out through the rocker gasket? They are not exactly known for making a good seal. :blink: I've had the V8 a such a silly angle that the oil pressure light came on... time to think about dry-sumping that then ;) (or maybe I should concentrate on actually rebuilding my truck LOL !!)

I'm wondering if this and your oil pressure problem may be coincidental rather than related?

As for replacing the bearings I'm afraid its a full engine strip down :( . The cam runs in the side of the block and as Mr Lovepump rightly says, the block needs to be line bored. The block would need to be completely bare when you deliver it to the Line-boring shop.

I've known people go down the route of replacing oil pumps, pressure release valves and still not solve the problem, only spend money needlessly, so I'd really be wanting to check that bearing before getting too enthusiastic with the spanners.

D :)

Just to check that I'm not being silly.............are we talking Cam shaft or Crank shaft???

Cam shaft controls the valves in the head, doesn't it???......................

Tell me to shut up if I'm being stupid...it's late!!!

yeah, cam shaft - it controls the opening and closing of the valves via the push-rods. On a 200tdi it runs down the left on the block (as you look from the front of the vehicle). You really need to take quite a lot of engine apart to get it out!

Just to check that I'm not being silly.............are we talking Cam shaft or Crank shaft???

Cam shaft controls the valves in the head, doesn't it???......................

Tell me to shut up if I'm being stupid...it's late!!!

dont forget, it's NOT an OHC (overhead cam) engine, still uses old fashioned push rods.

My 200 blew the gasket at number 4 into the push rod cavity, chuffed like a train and stated bellowing oil from dipstick, oil filler and breathers. Whip the head off first and see from there.

Grem