255/85/16BFG MT's

I've had these on for a few months now and am very pleased, but more recently have had the truck well loaded up with tools and camping stuff, and need to up the rear pressures a bit - what would you recommend. It's a 110 CSW 300TDI, with roof rack and roof tent as well as all the heavy gear in the back.

It drives perfectly well unladen.

Cheers.

Steve

I always run 28psi on the front and 33psi on the rear (on my 90) but then after reading somones post on here I tried somthing different and it made a huge difference to my fuel consumption.

I've not got 33 on the front and 48 on the rear and I'm getting about 20 miles more to a tank. Also it happens to be the default preassure that the local tyre guy puts in this size of tyre for a 4x4.

Too much - and the centres will wear out

Too Little - you knack the edges.

You have to have the correct pressures in tyres for road use so as not to b*gger the tyres, and it helps with ride and handling too :)

OK

How to work out what tyre pressures you need :

1. Find a Nice quiet straight road.

2. Park up

3. On the fronts 1st -

4. With some of the yellow Chalk from your friendly Tyre shop draw a straight line from inside to outside of the tread, right across tread

5. also place a mark that identifies where this is on the tyre wall outside :)

6. Do the same and in the same position on the other front tyre

7. get in truck and drive DEAD STRAIGHT for just a few yards. (more and it will be gone !)

8. Park without moving steering - stop so you can see the marker on the wall - means you can see the tyre marking too

9. Get out and look at tyre

a - Chalk gone in the middle - pressures too high - lower - remark - retest

b- Chalk gone on outer edges - pressures too low, inflate - remark - and redo

c- If on the 1st view there is no chalk you have driven too far, just a few yards does it !

Eventually you will find 95% of the chalk gone in a few yards - write down pressures - thats what your truck should have in it

Then repeat on rear

I then add a tad extra like '2' psi for "Load" and job done

:)

HTH

Nige

The chalk rpocedure is the go....

Please note, the OP was asking about a 110....

SOME people are talking about 90s........ These are (strangely engough) DIFFERENT...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It is quite important on these vehicles that the rolling radius of the rear tyres is not less than the front. If it is, highway handling goes to hell. I'm quite serious here..... So in the end, when loaded, measure the front and rear hub center heights and make sure the front is lower than the rear. As you load up, you need more pressure in the rear tyres.....

Guest otchie1

28 psi front & 40 psi rear is standard for 7.50R16 on a 110

255/85R16s are nominally an inch taller and about 2 1/4" wider so I'd start with 28/40 and expect to drop a little post chalk-test or even up with all the load you're lugging about.

I have my 265/75R16 mayblows on 28 & 40 and they seem to wear evenly enough (allowing for my knackered bushes of course :rolleyes: )

FWIW, I run 34-35psi all round in my 255/85 BFG's on my 130 that tares out at 2660kg in 'normal' running around trim.

I drop these to 26 psi on high speed gravel/dirt roads, and lower off road.

28 psi front & 40 psi rear is standard for 7.50R16 on a 110

You must have a different handbook to me.

Mine clearly statres 28 front 48 rear.

I run 235/86 on Discovery steel rims ar 30 front 34 rear fully loaded to 3.500 kg

I'm going to try the chalk trick today if possible. Then I'll see how far out I am with the pressures.

mike

A leopard can change its spots.

Thanks, wan't sure how to compare the manual for the 235/85 pressures for the bigger tyres. They are 30ish fron t and rear at the moment - I'll up the rears to 48 next time it's loaded with the trailer on and use the chalk trick .

Cheers.

Steve

Guest otchie1
You must have a different handbook to me.

Mine clearly statres 28 front 48 rear.

I run 235/86 on Discovery steel rims ar 30 front 34 rear fully loaded to 3.500 kg

I'm going to try the chalk trick today if possible. Then I'll see how far out I am with the pressures.

mike

page 19 sect 04 LD Workshop manual

7.50R16 RADIAL 28/40

7.50-16 CROSSPLY 28/42

750R16 RADIAL 28/48

But my copy doesn't label 90 vs 110 which is kinda pants. Judging by the inclusion of 205s further up the page -

90s 28/40

110s 28/48

page 19 sect 04 LD Workshop manual

7.50R16 RADIAL 28/40

7.50-16 CROSSPLY 28/42

750R16 RADIAL 28/48

But my copy doesn't label 90 vs 110 which is kinda pants. Judging by the inclusion of 205s further up the page -

90s 28/40

110s 28/48

My handbook does :(:( Typical Land Rover...

mike