DIY waxoil. Does this work???

I dont know. I'm sure it does work but I find it hard to belive that its better than a product that has had so many years of development, feedback from users and improvments.

Judging by the description of it after application I think it will come off pretty soon when you jet wash the chassis properly (as you should do after every trip into mud)

Hmmmm...... i wonder if you could use this as a water proofer for canvas tops, like the old mesowax...... i think leaving the oily bit out could work. On the other hand i think that linseed oil might work better.

Time to give it a try on a old bit of canvas top i have......

Grem

Hmmmm...... i wonder if you could use this as a water proofer for canvas tops, like the old mesowax...... i think leaving the oily bit out could work. On the other hand i think that linseed oil might work better.

Time to give it a try on a old bit of canvas top i have......

Grem

The white spirit smell might make your eyes water... Especially on a hot day :)

Is it really worth all that hassle of making it up, just for the sake of a few quid?

Genuine Waxoyl is a trusted name & has been around for donkey's......I will happily spend £20 on a can, knowing I dont have to worry for a year or two.

C'mon!! Where there's a will there's a way! You must be able to get hold of it somehow?! Have some sent over from here.

No classed as dangerous goods, so can't be sent in small quantities.

Locally available stuff is f***ing expensive.

Getting it done profesionally, well I'd rather try it myself.

No classed as dangerous goods, so can't be sent in small quantities.

Locally available stuff is f***ing expensive.

Getting it done profesionally, well I'd rather try it myself.

I nearly bought a 90 from a guy who was Norwegian. His 90 was in great condition underneath.

Swore by this stuff here

Sorry if this is moving the thread off topic a bit but what do people think about other options (espcially if you dont want or cant get wax oil)

My chassis was painted in some kind of silver paint (you can only see small sighns of it now) and its in amazing condition for its age.

I dont want to use wax oil becuase it makes it messy for the constant changes that go on under my 90 so I am thinking of painting the chassis with something. Out here Red Led is still available so I am probably going to use that after I;ve given everything a really good clean.

So to get to the point, is painting your chassis with rust resistant paints of various kinds a good option rather than wax?

My 110 was made with a galvanized chassis, which is the best thing. As nothing much rusts here on the highveld anyway, the chassis should see in the next millenium :)

Waxoyl is not sold in this country, which is a shame because the guys down at the coast could do with it.

Waxoyl is not sold in this country, which is a shame because the guys down at the coast could do with it.

Jim, before I moved from SA to the UK, I seem to recall there was some sort of rustproofing underseal available?? Cant remember the brand name though, but it was specifically for the guys in Durbs or the Cape.

You couldn't do me a favour could you?? Next time your in a CNA, could you find the exact name of an Overland Road atlas covering the whole continent please?

I should have got a copy when I was home in January, but forgot. Tried looking online, but cant find the exact thing I saw.

Cheers

Martin

I have seen an atlas that goes up to Tanzania, I think. But not one that covers the whole continent. CNA is pretty useless, but I'll have a look in Outdoor whorehouse when I go there next. I don't go there very often, so don't hold your breath...

You could try Kalahari and see what they have. And possibly Exorbitant Books has a website?

I have seen an atlas that goes up to Tanzania, I think. But not one that covers the whole continent. CNA is pretty useless, but I'll have a look in Outdoor whorehouse when I go there next. I don't go there very often, so don't hold your breath...

You could try Kalahari and see what they have. And possibly Exorbitant Books has a website?

I think the atlas was called something like an Adventure Atlas? It definitely covered the whole continent, but the first bunch of pages were, for example, Bungee Jumping - best places to go/most scenic way to do it. I saw it in Eastgate CNA, but they never had it at Exclusive. Saw it again at JHB International (oops, sorry.....you get to call it Oliver Tambo now!!) but I was already loaded down with mountain bikes & mountaineering gear & couldn't fit it in!

I'll give this Kalahari a go though in the meantime. There is absolutely no rush, so dont go out of your way.

Martin

Waxol is available from Halfords or from www.frost.co.uk who have shipped me various paints in tins and aerosols so will also ship waxol.

Good idea and probably works - but yes, why bother unless its a personal 'anti-establishment - one in the eye - not invented here type of thing. And, there will always be that nagging thought after having done the job as to whether it really is as good?

I bought 20 litres of "rustproof compound" from Texaco, at a reasonable price (I cannot remember what I paid for it, and this proves the price was reasonable...) and I am very satisfied with it.

It is a sort of greasy wax (or waxy grease) which can applied either by brush or spraying (I had good results with an airless gun, with a small tube fitted inside the boxed sections of the chassis), since it is diluted with a solvent. The solvent readily evaporates, and the compound dries up, though it remains a bit sticky and flexible.

We bought the Mapstudio road atlas Africa atlas in Tanzania at a Shop write checkers. It gives the whole of Africa - Historical sites, games reserves etc..

We bought the Mapstudio road atlas Africa atlas in Tanzania at a Shop write checkers. It gives the whole of Africa - Historical sites, games reserves etc..

I think thats the sort of thing I saw in CNA. I'm now kicking myself for not getting it when I was there. :angry: I have seen something that may be about right on Kalahari, but not 100% sure if its the one.

I'm back home again later this year, i'll have a look then if I cant find it from here before then.

To be honest I thought it was one of those to good to be true things. I was thinking about being a cheapskate when doing things like the inside of the doors and out the way places that doen't get much wear. I will probably use bilthumber stuff as they are only a few mins down the road. I've also got a tin of zinc rich paint which I will start splashing about... :P