Speeding

Les Henson

Les,

I suggest that you and others that read this post read it as it is meant to read,not what you mean it to read.

Nobody as far as I can see condones the offenders speeding.

I and other congratulated him on what was a good result for them.

I would suggest that thoie of you who berate the driver think very carefully.What speed would you be travelling at through a town.

I know that most drivers see the 30mph sign as a 40 to 45.

These people are the ones that in my opinion should be banned as well as those that exceed the speed linmit by a 30% margin.

There is aparently one law for those who exceed the 70 limit by 30% and another for those that exceed the 30mph limit by 50%.

Yep again that magic 100MPH.

Yes that driver should have been banned.

The magistrates didsn't seem to think so so it was a good result for the driver.One thing.That driver will take a lot more care in future.

Will those who haven't been caught do the same.

The post and subsequent replies are of the nature of 'I've done xxx speed on the motorway and 'only' got (whatever punishment). Others are saying 'good'' well done', and posts of that type. People doing whatever speed over the limit should be punished regardless of the location of that offence. As I said in the initial post on LRO, bad image for us that already have a bad image (or words to that effect)

Welcome anyway Mike/margaret, good to see you both in here eventually. :D

Les. :)

I know that most drivers see the 30mph sign as a 40 to 45.

Not I :angry: I see the speed as 25-30mph

The only time I have ever driven 10 over the posted speed limit is in Canada --- Which is the norm over 10 and they throw the library at you (i.e. more than one book)............

Infact if you stick to the posted limit over there you get honked alot...

Bloody courts :angry: I bet the officers in the case were wll cuffed with that!

may as well do away with them entirely eh Ben, just getting in the way of police being judge, jury, then executioner all in one huh? Never mind the evident lack of sufficient intelligence to do what they're supposed to do without breaking the law themselves — nor to appreciate that there may be more to it than their limited little world view. <_<

may as well do away with them entirely eh Ben, just getting in the way of police being judge, jury, then executioner all in one huh? Never mind the evident lack of sufficient intelligence to do what they're supposed to do without breaking the law themselves — nor to appreciate that there may be more to it than their limited little world view. <_<

Markie, i will try and open my mind from it's limited little world view :unsure:

Maybe that was a bit harsh of me, however perhaps not. I'd rather entrust the future of society to a legal system that has evolved gradually over the centuries to put eg the House of Lords/ the Human Rights court in Strasbourg at the pinnacle of decision-making, as from there they have the opportunity to have regard to all relevant factors in seeing how to mould the law, rather than a very one-sided view that would evolve from police station canteen chatter.

Eg: A man drives elderly/disabled people every day for a living, people who live in a remote area, who need him to check up on them, etcetera. There is no replacement for him in his area. One day, while driving a disabled person, the disabled person suffers a medical emergency. He speeds up to reach the hospital. When the speed trap flashes him, he's doing 128Mph. Automatic ban? I think not.

Maybe that was a bit harsh of me, however perhaps not. I'd rather entrust the future of society to a legal system that has evolved gradually over the centuries to put eg the House of Lords/ the Human Rights court in Strasbourg at the pinnacle of decision-making, as from there they have the opportunity to have regard to all relevant factors in seeing how to mould the law, rather than a very one-sided view that would evolve from police station canteen chatter.

Oh and what a country they have built!

Markie, Have you got any expericence of the police from the inside?

As others will testify - I'm a real speed-freak on the motorway. I have reached speeds of nearly 60mph once or twice, it was awsome seeing the world flash by in the blink of an eye - then the V8 ran out of fuel :)

Generally, I drive at about 55 where my mpg is in double figures.

Staying below 30 round town without holding the traffic up is quite hard though. I agree it is important - but most vehicles I've had seem to be just inbetween two gears around 30.

I have wondered why in these days of fly-by-wire throttles they don't put in a dead spot in the throttle around 30, 40, 50 & 70 where it engages a sort of cruse control which will regulate the speed and ignore small pedal movements. If you move out of the dead spot - it accelerates / decelerates as normal.

It would make it a lot easier to regulate your speed without continuously checking the speedo - which IMHO can be as unsafe as speeding slightly. I've had a couple of people almost rear-end me around speed cameras where they were paying more attention to the speed than the traffic slowing in front of them!

Si

Eg: A man drives elderly/disabled people every day for a living, people who live in a remote area, who need him to check up on them, etcetera. There is no replacement for him in his area. One day, while driving a disabled person, the disabled person suffers a medical emergency. He speeds up to reach the hospital. When the speed trap flashes him, he's doing 128Mph. Automatic ban? I think not.

Oh so Haggis was taking a disabled person who was suffering from a medical emergency to hospitial on the back of his motorbike? Now i get it!!!!!!!!

The energy that needs to be dissipated when a vehicle is brought to a sudden stop is directly proportional to the speed that the vehicle was travelling at. If you want to get technical on the reasons why people die in collisions I am your man. I don't really think humour is appropriate in this thread and it would of been funnier if you had not of copied it off the LRO forum.

Perhaps I should check with you first before I do it again then should I? I don't think I've posted anything humorous about this, merely my opinion. I also can't see the difference between it being read on there or here. Response to the post is all and fortunately we have our opinions which we can give if we so choose.

Les. :)

Les, I was not talking about your post it was about Westerns post. Maybe I have strong feeling on this subject because it's me that has to clear bits of body's of the road and then go and tell the families that their husband/wife/son/daughter etc is dead because a third party was driving way beyond their capabilities.

The only time I have ever driven 10 over the posted speed limit is in Canada --- Which is the norm over 10 and they throw the library at you (i.e. more than one book)............

Infact if you stick to the posted limit over there you get honked alot...

I quite agree siggy up to 10kph over is the "norm" on highways unless you drive on highway 20 in Quebec and then the sky seems to be the limit...... The Sûreté du Québec Highway Patrol usually pick a speed well over the limit and then cruise the length of the highway in the "outside" lane, if the Patrol car cannot pass you at his speed then you get nicked.

Another favourit tactic is for there to be no obvious Patrol at all.....that is till you near either end of highway 20 and then you will see as many as 10 Patrol cars with a roadblock set up and an observation aircraft overhead...........they need that many cars to spell the officers off from getting "writers cramp"

On rural roads and in towns and villages the worst problem i have with the Land Rover is "tailgaters", i'm thinking of putting a 50 cal Browning on the back :)