The H.O.F.S. Ladoga 2008 Blog

its a VoldDis, built by Kim, Tapio and Tommi, Fin Tuned Td5 manual, Type R winches, Volvo portals - good car driven very, very well :)

For all the world it looks like a Tomcat ............... I guess thats where the inspiration came from....................

Is it GRP panels ?................ certainly very nice lines and a very nice finish (pun intended) :lol:

:)

Ian

Well I think it was a good trip :)

From the initial chaos of getting on our way (its quite normal so I wasn't even getting excited about it) to missing the ferry and Leo's BBQ and then to the getting home chaos - it all went as planned :lol:

Have to say a very big thank you to the cooking department, chasing/tech department and the of course the race team - we were all great !! :i-m_so_happy:

To cut the story short -

Left UK after a punishing working run at 6 am-ish.

Jez was falling asleep at the wheel so we switched drivers, John in the Disco with mouse on the back and me driving the 109

John cursing the disco - too warm and comfy - falling asleep , me cursing the 109 for leaking absolutely everywhere, Mike for making the transmition tunnel too bloomin good and now there is NO heat comming to the cabin, and the heated screen for working on the passanger side and not on the drivers :P

Missed the ferry in Harwich, met Steve who supplied life giving coffee, and then having a spy around mouses winch,saw me asleep with my mouth open and was a gentleman about it :lol: left with overnight ferry

DSCN18252008-05-24.JPG

In Holland am, drive straight to Rostock

Nice drive after we adjusted Mouse on the trailer - dont think we had brakes or steering until then :blink:

Debit cards are starting to be a problem - "for your own security" they are being stopped by the banks, after all "it is very unusual for a British person to travel abroad" hmmm. Interesting ways of trying to pay for fuel - team efforts to swap bodily favours in exchange for fuel didnt get far :o

Johns cluch starting to give up and making squeeky noises - no problem only further 240 miles to go :huh:

My Disco doing a great job - even using 5th on the nice flats of Germany

DSCN18292008-05-25.JPG

Trying to stop as little as possible to avoid cluch usage - interesing starting technique from John when stopping was unavoidable

Got to Rostok ferry with time to spare - this is highly un-ussuall - not sure - what to do with spare time so we explored the booze shop and found a place to get food - we ordered 3 different meals but all got the same thing :rolleyes:

DSCN18302008-05-25.JPG

Gettin on to the ferry - weird as we are being split from John who is being sent to the second floor

John suddenly appears on our deck - the ferry guys thought his 109 was NORMAL and WOULD fit on the second deck - luckily John noticed that the roof is he same level as his neck before he got decapitated :o

Ferry - aaaaa - nice, warm, food, sleep, shower - what else can we ask for .....

Off the ferry at 06.00 in Helsinki, met by James - Coszuki, the ambasador for all scotish things in Finland.... off to Tapios as everybody and everything is there franticaly working on Tapios car.

Take Mouse of the trailer to do some work - ehm - handbrake wasnt on - John and James do a heroic leap in to the cabin throught the closed doors while I forgot to let go of the strap as Mouse was travelling backwards at alarming speed heading directly for the pillar holding Tapios new garage roof up - brused ribs on boys and second degree burns on my hands - but the car stopped short of the pillar by a good few mm so all ended well :ph34r: phew - good start...

Ladoga%2008%20day%202%200042008-05-27.JPG

Ladoga%2008%20day%202%200172008-05-27.JPG

Ladoga%2008%20day%202%200132008-05-27.JPG

Explosion of tools on the trailer - finishing touches - yeah right - went for test drive, Mouse sounds great.... and got the looks too......

Ladoga%2008%20day%202%200162008-05-27.JPG

Leaving for Russia on Friday morning instead of Thursday due to some customs and duty problems - flying through Russia, Kai in the Landcruiser got busted by the DPC for overtaking on a unbroken line and lands himself a big fine....

Ladoga%2008%20day%202%200292008-05-29.JPG

No navigators in he cars so we have no idea where the registration is (other than St Petersberg) - it closes at 20.00 we are nowhere near - taking my first towing lesson with an oversized trailer in rush hour St. Petes at a "certain" speed.

Got there with 10 minutes to spare, quickly get everything that the car needs - stickers, log book.......pay for everything.....

Ladoga%2008%20day%202%200332008-05-29.JPG

From there to the hotel and workshop to finish Mouse - again up till 3 am with Kim, Jez and myself aiming to be at the square at 8 to do the scruiteneering.....

Ladoga%2008%20day%202%200372008-05-30.JPG

Ladoga%2008%20day%202%200382008-05-30.JPG

Rest of the crew getting stuff - especially Kimples trainers as he has no shoes to race in - left them at home in the chaos

Putting sickers on the car in the square, got a leaky coolant again! so tightening clips in the blooming square with 45 mins to go with people trying to climb under the bonnet to take spy picks :lol:

Ladoga%2008%20day%202%200402008-05-30.JPG

Last minute fetling...

3377535_bbdMv2.jpeg

Bonnet on, Of to the start line - yeeha - over the ramp and dissapear in to the crowds

Ready for 1st stage :)

img_9005.jpg

In camp after 1st stage

Ladoga%2008%20day%202%200552008-05-31.JPG

More later :)

Zuz

met Steve who supplied life giving coffee, and then having a spy around mouses winch, saw me asleep with my mouth open and was a gentleman about it

Hey, no fair! Wouldn't have stopped me...

Looks great - very interesting story Zuz, its goo to hear all the little extra bits :)

P.S - I recognise those bonnet clips too ;)

If you are to blame for those clips then i would keep your head below, many times have they been cursed with a firm request from service to have them removed before the car returns to the Finn. Look very nice but operational functionality is a little absent :P

The registration in the stadium was fun, staying with the car and beginning the misinformation early on. While sitting in the car the pokes and taps begin around the car, what happened to look with your eyes not your hands, why everyone had to tap and rattle everything on the car i am not sure?

"so is there much LR on this?"

"yes most of it is still LR of course"

"what engine are you running?"

"erm well its a.."

"Is it a V8?"

"yes of course"

"which one 3.5 or 3.9"

"oh i'm not sure i think its the 3.5 :ph34r:"

when we drove it up to the scrutineering area it drew most of the crowd again all tapping and poking?!? :blink: again more questions with vague answers "how heavy is this car" "oh maybe 2000kgs, might be 1900 though but at one point it was less than 1800" left a chap looking suitably baffled :P

Hmm, i use those catches on mine without problems altho my mate seems completely unable to operate them - they also get used a lot on racers of varying kinds, again never seen any problems! :)

Hmm, i use those catches on mine without problems altho my mate seems completely unable to operate them - they also get used a lot on racers of varying kinds, again never seen any problems! :)

Most racers & kit cars don't fill them with swamp...

yup they worked fine until they met with some grit, then stopped working without the need to poke them with a screwdriver to start the movement. thought we had it sussed when pulling the spring forward with your finger helped but even that stopped after some more poo got in

OK this isn't the most thrilling bit of video ever but it's straight from my camera unedited and gives a flavour of some gentle green laning in the Russian countryside.

A bit of in-car vid from the 109.

Windows Media format, 50Mb file.

More to come, I've got four hours on the DV cam and loads of clips on the digicam.

A few piccies, I didn't actually get on-stage properly so they're mostly background shots.

Tapio's house, two cars to finish, early-o-clock.

JU_080528-22-41-54.JPG

End of stage 1 - in one piece and going OK.

JU_080531-19-23-16.JPG

The coolest car in the camp - Gaz 69A:

JU_080606-08-32-40.JPG

A bit of scenery - there's a lot of it about.

JU_080606-10-09-58.JPG

Yuri

JU_080603-12-04-06.JPG

Zuz and Kai chatting to the DPC:

JU_080602-11-38-06.JPG

Urvo with a pair of idiots:

JU_080607-19-25-06.JPG

Splashy Splashy

JU_080603-12-57-10.JPG

Some light green laning on the way to camp

JU_080602-13-50-58.JPG

Some old heap of junk and some trees

JU_080604-07-07-44.JPG

Vroom vroom

JU_080603-12-57-12.JPG

This place was amazing

JU_080605-19-40-16.JPG

We're considering doing a HOFS calendar, Miko can be Miss July.

JU_080604-13-58-34.JPG

We didn't use all of this but it did help burn the water that was in the tank!

JU_080529-08-22-56.JPG

Priit and co singing us out of last camp

JU_080608-10-40-08.JPG

Not a bad end to an event:

JU_080607-22-31-28.JPG

JU_080607-19-42-42.JPG