The H.O.F.S. Ladoga 2008 Blog

......and sound too :P:P ....must be early on cos you seem to have a smoke going there too Jez.

..I did hear that those fatal words " i've driven a few fast motors and this is good" was a vital sentence on the fuel run :ph34r:;) ....well it happens to us all :lol:

cheers

Steveb

u1902933355.jpg

Nice photo, the LS power really makes those boggers baloon out like Drag Racers tyres :)

Did you break any axle internals with the extra torque / power from the LS, I know you have used uprated shafts and cv's but are the drop box gears and diff's really able to handle the aditional power when using the 39" boggers?

Look forward to competing against mouse, she really looks a beast.

Thats deep :ph34r:

Do you have to cover much of that depth every day, or is that the exception rather than the rule?

What is the average length of a days racing? 35km, 1000km?

Do you meet your support crew at a new camp site every night?

Thank you

Jim

Do you have to cover much of that depth every day, or is that the exception rather than the rule?

I must apologise for Jez, he's not being very helpful here. The stages were all a day long.

Personally I'd recommend a 30/70 mud/bog prep with a small to medium in-car glitterball, no less than four cup holders and Herbal Essences in wild berry & jojoba. Obviously your mileage may vary, I was only running the support route, not the race route, camp route, or supplies route, so the car was set up more for fast road / extreme caravanning with in-car laser, portable disco biro and a slightly rich fuel map. For next year I'll have to revise the fluffy dice mount though.

I've thrown some rough numbers into excel which I hope will help inform your vehicle preparations and choice of haircare products during the event:

Image5.jpg

I was going to include the Biscuit matrix in the calculations but frankly we're not about to give away a competitive advantage by revealing our Hob-constant, you'll have to run your own numbers for that as I'm not sure how well they'd map across.

I must apologise for Jez, he's not being very helpful here. The stages were all a day long.

Personally I'd recommend a 30/70 mud/bog prep with a small to medium in-car glitterball, no less than four cup holders and Herbal Essences in wild berry & jojoba. Obviously your mileage may vary, I was only running the support route, not the race route, camp route, or supplies route, so the car was set up more for fast road / extreme caravanning with in-car laser, portable disco biro and a slightly rich fuel map. For next year I'll have to revise the fluffy dice mount though.

I've thrown some rough numbers into excel which I hope will help inform your vehicle preparations and choice of haircare products during the event:

Image5.jpg

I was going to include the Biscuit matrix in the calculations but frankly we're not about to give away a competitive advantage by revealing our Hob-constant, you'll have to run your own numbers for that as I'm not sure how well they'd map across.

lmao :lol: thats brilliant :D

small to medium in-car glitterball

:unsure: Are you sure? Man you guys were living on the edge this year. My planned mounts allow for a 16" in the rear, but I could counterbalance this with a 3" on the rearview mirror... I'm a little worried about the Fu alignment though. :ph34r:

Thats deep :ph34r:

Do you meet your support crew at a new camp site every night?

Thank you

Jim

in all seriousness Jim there doesnt seem to be any averages

a SS might range from 6 - 67km with a 6km day taking waaaaaaaaaaay more time than a 67km day, each day comes with a handy difficulty number (from 1-9), 9's mean its going to be a tough day at the office, its all relative though.... ask the Ukrainian/Lebanese team that spent 37 hours trying to get out from a level 6 stage.

meeting the support crew every night is also up to the race team, if they make it out and the car is in enough of a large piece to drive to camp then yes off you hustle down the transit and look forward to a hot/lukewarm/freezing shower seeing friendly faces and coffee. If you are very late out then simply drive straight to the next SS

camp occassionally stays in the same place for 2 nights, in a way thats nice but in others its not so nice - it means that when the camp finally moves its going to be a hard day to catch them up.

the first 3 Ladogas for me were wide eyed and wondering what the hell we're going to be hit with next, now its sort of wry smiles and "come on then" its just a question of relaxing and getting used to the Russian sense of humour.

that isnt deep by the way, thats pretty normal. in terms of how much water in a stage? once again, no averages - one stage might be bone dry, another is waterworld. in the end it doesnt really matter, you cope with whatever comes.

Surreal (to me) is realising the route dictates you have to drive through a lake - not round it, you pile in and floor it, its maybe 3/4km accross so sending a navigator to walk in front of the car isnt an option, you have to have faith and hope you dont hit a car sized hole and press on the loud pedal - it adds a certain spice to the proceedings.

its as tough as you want it to be - you cant fight the terrain, only negotiate with it.

Im not sure if you get a chance to practice for this kind of eventuallity in the UK- but if the option is leave the car dead in the woods and wrestle with Russian customs when you try to leave the country then you have to get a little "inventive", loosing wheels/axles/large things can and does happen regularly.

04441931.jpg

04441924.jpg

this is Tr2 Class (equates to a standard 90 with a couple of winches, lockers F&R)