The H.O.F.S. Ladoga 2008 Blog

I have lifted the follow from the Ladoga web site as it is a classic interview that must be preserved and set in a tablet of stone :D ........... I have corrected some of the poor translation, but not altered it that much.........

Special Stage 5..............

The length of the special stage is 37 kilometers, of which about 10 km is continuous swamp. In the middle of the swamp is a lake, which lies at the bottom of huge boulders. According to the Finno-British crew 410 Kim Nikolaev and Dzheza Gudvina (Jez Goodwin) - they name themselves Finnglish team -, it is one of the most interesting stages of the Ladoga trails:

“In this machine becomes Lake boat” - Dzhez (Jez) said. –-- We drive straight in the middle of the lake, full of stones and pits. Of course, we try to go as quickly as possible, but it leads to mistakes - even very experienced crews behaved not the best way. We have seen this track two years ago and have already had an idea of what to expect from the special today - preparing for the special advance, for example, took more cigarettes.

When we finally left the swamps on the road (more accurately, something even remotely resembling it), we thought that it was Christmas. The road was between trees, the distance between them was less than the width of our car, while try to drive at 40-50 km / h and plan what we would prepare for lunch today.

Despite knowledge of the route, Finnglish team 410 turned out to the finish only fifth place. The guys explain this so that they are still poorly known its new car - they began to prepare her for only seven weeks before the launch "Ladoga".

The first was the same again Yuri Volkov and Sergei Zuyev, crew № 412 (Proto). They have gone through this difficult route in 4 hours, 15 minutes and 7 seconds.

so ............ you have a fuel tank full of water, you are up to your armpits in sh!te .............. and all you can think about is the fact you brought along some extra fags and what you are having for lunch ...................Just how chilled is that..............I think that describes Jez quite well :lol:

:)

Ian

At 15:30 BST I had an SMS from Fridge which reads............ "Bad day, fair few dead bits, not looking rosy" :unsure:

I called Fridge at 15:46 BST for an update, however, he was out recovering Leo & Benny and was about to tow them 50Km back to camp........... :(

However, he did say that its bits that have worn out rather than broken .............so there is hope..........

I will call him in a couple of hours time...........................

Ian

Would have been a great picture from the lake, just seeing Jez´s lips and a fag after Mouse has sunk :lol:

Keeping my fingers crossed that they make it to the end.

I have just been towed through 154km of special stage by my team mate in Romania, the other week, and still a bit shaky...

So long,

Robert

At 19:00 BST (10:00pm their time) I spoke with Jez & Fridge …………………

Leo & Benny have a busted clutch so I guess their race is over…………….. I feel sorry for them as they were leading the Tourist class. :(

Mouse felt strange as they came out of the stage…………….. a further investigation shows a lot of bushes have worn out ………………. They were just about to replace all the radius arm bushes, panard rod bushes……..and some other stuff ready for tomorrow………… lets hope they don’t find too much wrong………..

They were unsure of position as they lost some time today in the stage………….

Russian petrol contains caustic and burns the skin……….. that almost gave Jez an issue when they were draining the tank in the previous stage………. :(

Ian

results for today, apparently they're 4th, 2hours and 20 min behind Tapio. Their total time is 19 hours and 8 minutes against 12 hours and 32 minutes for the leaders... (that fourtrack must have wings!)

H.

I don't think its a 4track .............. looking at he listings it is a Russian car ..............maybe Uaz ?

results for today, apparently they're 4th, 2hours and 20 min behind Tapio. Their total time is 19 hours and 8 minutes against 12 hours and 32 minutes for the leaders... (that fourtrack must have wings!)

http://www.ladoga-trophy.ru/docs/results/r...s0506082000.pdf

H.

I think that is still yesterdays results (05-06-08) ..................... they usually come up on the website at about 22:00 - 23:00 BST

Ian

Well, what a week of race reporting :P , it's been edge of the sofa stuff all week and an excellent result too.

I'm looking forward to seeing more photo's and video's over the next few days, specially the front winch in action ;)

....so will Vepski Les be the next outing ? there was some talk of it on Harwich dockside a couple of weeks ago........ :P

Great work from the whole team again B)

Cheers

Steveb

The Shire contingent even got to hear about this in the communications black hole that is Eastnor. Great news. Well done team. Looking forward to seeing you back in Blighty :D

Hi All H.O.F.S. members

Congratulation with the result, well done, ;) taken in account how tight the time schedule was and the end off the build it is rather fantastic that you made it at all.

And for the coverage it has been top notch with info almost streaming in from various sources, thanks to all who contributed, so that the armchair vapour building squad also could fell the excitement.

Big thumbs up here from DK

Best regard

Ole.

The comment on my text message was: 'not bad for a test drive' :huh::lol: But also ' Amazing sunset over the lake as we site here drinking long drink by the fire' so hopefully they're having some well deserved r&r.

Excellent result B) Just coming back safely has got to be a bonus. Looking forward to seeing them all back in England for a beer or three ;)