Drilling and Taping 1/8 NPT

I'm about to fit a McNally Turbo Boost/EGT gauge to our 300Tdi and need to drill and tap a 1/8 NPT hole in the inlet manifold for the pressure sensor.

I believe to do this properly I need (1) an R size drill, (2) a 1/8 NPT Taper Reamer and (3) a 1/8 NPT Tap.

Anyone know of a good source for these items (in the UK)?

I'm about to fit a McNally Turbo Boost/EGT gauge to our 300Tdi and need to drill and tap a 1/8 NPT hole in the inlet manifold for the pressure sensor.

I believe to do this properly I need (1) an R size drill, (2) a 1/8 NPT Taper Reamer and (3) a 1/8 NPT Tap.

Anyone know of a good source for these items (in the UK)?

Cromwells should do them.

i wouldn't bother reaming.

having just fitted one, an 8.5mm drill bit does it and you need a 1/8NPT-27 tap.

i got mine from a local place, 'engineering agencies' in Dunfermline. they had to order it in though and it cost about £17. i daresay i won't have to buy another in my lifetime though. some larger tap sets have it, they had a silverline box of taps in the same place for £30, so if you don't have many taps, that might be your best bet.

i didn't need to do any reaming.

Just want to share an opinion that could save money and time

sometimes I find that it works out easier and cheaper to do the work that needs to be done at a machineshop instead of buying the tools myself and doing it myself, as an example, some time ago I wanted to hone the cylinder bores, was tempted to buy a honing tool and do it myself, but with the price of the tool I got the block done in a machineshop, and done the right way, with the right tools.

Another example was when I replaced the track rod with a stronger one, I could either buy a lefthand and righthand taps and a bar of steel to do it myself or else get it done at the shop... I chose to let the shop do it, ......30mm dia EN19 trackrod incl locknuts (without ball joints) cost me 30eur, the two taps would have cost double that.

• 10 months later...

Hi, I have just bought an EGT gauge for my 200tdi 90, and to fit the sensor I need to drill+tap the manifold with 1/8 PT (thats what my instructions say). Is 1/8 PT the same as 1/8 NPT?

Also would I need to seal it somehow, and with what?

Where abouts on the manifold would be the best place to drill the hole?

Hi, I have just bought an EGT gauge for my 200tdi 90, and to fit the sensor I need to drill+tap the manifold with 1/8 PT (thats what my instructions say). Is 1/8 PT the same as 1/8 NPT?

Also would I need to seal it somehow, and with what?

Where abouts on the manifold would be the best place to drill the hole?

No sealing compound required

put the fitting in and tighten it up.

For instance the 300TDI manifold is 3 piece and nothing is used to seal the bits together

exhaust soot /heat does the job just fine.

As for placing the Tech archive has pictures.

I am begining to think this is a bigger job than I can handle. First I need to get the manifold off and I can't see that being a straight forward job. Its never been off while I've had it. Then I need to drill and tap a tapered hole (something I have no experience of). I am thinking I might ask/pay someone (who knows what they are doing) to do it.

ive just tapped my first (8) holes yesterday tony, never done it before. m10 in 10mm steel. used normal ratchet with 8mm socket, no need to buy tap wrench, got tap (second) from cromwells, cost afew quid and took 30 seconds a hole. really easy.

ive just tapped my first (8) holes yesterday tony, never done it before. m10 in 10mm steel. used normal ratchet with 8mm socket, no need to buy tap wrench, got tap (second) from cromwells, cost afew quid and took 30 seconds a hole. really easy.

I think I wouldn't be too scared to do a simple drill and tap, its just this is a tapered tap.

I think I wouldn't be too scared to do a simple drill and tap, its just this is a tapered tap.

This is about the easiest tapped hole because you are tapping into an uneven and/or curved surface doesn't matter a F if it is square or not.

Why do you need to remove the manifold? If there is space to get you drill down in there Or a flexi drive Or a rightangle drill adaptor then just drill it in situe.

When you tap the hole get it started and wound in a few threads then remove it and try the fitting. It won't go in far enough and will give you a guide as to how many more turns you need on the tap. Keep doing this until you are happy with the depth.

When you fit the sensor it will likely turn about two more times from finger tight.

There is also nothing stopping you tapping a hole or two in some scrap metal on the bench. Use some oil on the tap. Take it easy and don't force it. The normal hand technique is to turn a bit then back of just over 1/4 turn to break the swarf chips. It's a feel thing. Steel will need this but cast iron less so.

Enjoy

Steve

This is about the easiest tapped hole because you are tapping into an uneven and/or curved surface doesn't matter a F if it is square or not.

Why do you need to remove the manifold? If there is space to get you drill down in there Or a flexi drive Or a rightangle drill adaptor then just drill it in situe.

When you tap the hole get it started and wound in a few threads then remove it and try the fitting. It won't go in far enough and will give you a guide as to how many more turns you need on the tap. Keep doing this until you are happy with the depth.

When you fit the sensor it will likely turn about two more times from finger tight.

There is also nothing stopping you tapping a hole or two in some scrap metal on the bench. Use some oil on the tap. Take it easy and don't force it. The normal hand technique is to turn a bit then back of just over 1/4 turn to break the swarf chips. It's a feel thing. Steel will need this but cast iron less so.

Enjoy

Steve

I was told I needed to remove the manifold to make sure none of the swarf (from the hole) ends up in there and consequently it would end up going through the turbo. Now I know that would not be good.

I was told I needed to remove the manifold to make sure none of the swarf (from the hole) ends up in there and consequently it would end up going through the turbo. Now I know that would not be good.

OK did not think about the turbo.

If I were doing it on my engine then I would drill the hole whilst holding a shop vac beside the drill then tap the hole with the tap coated in grease. Clean and recoat each time you stop to check if you have tapped far enough.

Personally I don't think a small amount of swarf will worry the turbo but I wait to be flamed on the matter.

Steve

I am thinking about fitting it after the turbo. I realise the temp will be lower, but surely it should be a direct relation to the temp in the manifold. If I can allow for that then perhaps it will be OK there. The reason I am thinking of doing it this way is cos the manifold has never been off so I am not likely to be able to get it off and back on again. Plus to pay some-one to do it is gonna cost me.

Does anybody know what the temp difference would be??

I am thinking about fitting it after the turbo. I realise the temp will be lower, but surely it should be a direct relation to the temp in the manifold. If I can allow for that then perhaps it will be OK there. The reason I am thinking of doing it this way is cos the manifold has never been off so I am not likely to be able to get it off and back on again. Plus to pay some-one to do it is gonna cost me.

Does anybody know what the temp difference would be??

Just did mine, shop vac + grease on the bit, very easy and simple.

PIC00008.jpg

G