Seats in a defender vs 90 Year of change ?

OK

Mine is a 1985 V8 90

The seats are a plain Black Vinyl period.

I have had seat covers on them - but they have now fallen apart - er as have the seat squabs backs and just about all the other bits, I have vinyl welded / glued them for the last time :(

Today at Hogmoor I had the seat covers (or whats left of them) off, and I decided hot day + t Shirt + Black Vinyl seat Ooooow is a bad idea :(

So

I have some options

New over seat covers - most are rubbish and the seat squab covers are shot anyway - and the nice covers are a fortune :(

New covers for the actual seats - yes but then I still have the black Vinyl Oooooooooow issue

New seat covers and new squab cover - loads a money

Today a matey srrived in his 90, he has just fitted some new take off 90 seats as his were even worse.

And loverley they are too :wub:

Not Black Vinyl - more a grey and a tweed finish / pattern on the surfaces - but vinyl and look waterproof :)

So

My questions are

What year / years are these fitted to if I wnated to track some s/h ones down ??

Are they indeed as waterproof as they look ?

Do exmoor trim do these as replacement covers ? - if so what are they

or

ANyone have a pair of decent cond ones they would like to flog :lol:

??

Nige

Guest WALFY

WOLF seats are similar think. Worth a punt but if you search for Wolf bits they come with Wolf prices :( . Not sure if they are fitted to other vehicles. I'm sure Ralph will be along in a minute ;)

The grey slightly patterned twill vinyl seats are standard in everything from somewhere around early Td5s so the last 10 years or so production, unless the cloth seats were specified e.g. in County vehicles. It is certainly tougher than the old black vinyl though it does go in the same way given time!

Nige,

On the more recent vehicles in UK spec. The Base spec vehicles have Vinyl seats, the County gets the cloth, the XS gets the part cloth/ part leather. The G4 were part vinyl/part dimple mogul.

Can't remember when the vinyl changed from black to the part you mention, but probably either with the Td5 introduction or the revivion for the 2002 model year.

Mark.

I'd agree with Mr Murphy here, probably the denim twill or G4 material would suit you best.

Er OK

I amy well trawl ebay - nothing there at the moment :(

So is the 'Demin Twill' is the waterproof vinyl seats I am on about ????????

What is G4 ????? is that vinyl / waterproof.???

Lastly anyone know if the exmoor trim do these and if so how good vs the originals are they ?

Ta all

Nige

Hi Nige

I bought a set of Britpart waterproof covers for the Ninety a couple of year ago. They are a very tough but comfy fabric and fit the seats really well, oh and they are very waterproof too. I have fabric seats and leaky door seals, if we have a heavy downpoor the fabric is always dry underneath the covers.

Judging by recent comments these must be one of the better items Britpart supply. IIRC they were only about £35 for the front set of 3, much cheaper than new seats or even seat covers :)

What is G4 ????? is that vinyl / waterproof.???

Lastly anyone know if the exmoor trim do these and if so how good vs the originals are they ?

Ta all

Nige

G4 is a vinyl two part cover in black. Centre section is smooth with round lumps called dimples, and outer section is a matt finish that compliments the inner http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/erol.html#1215X0.

I have had a full set on my 110 for ten or eleven months, and rate them both on looks and function (wipe clean with damp cloth), I would not say they would be fully waterproof as they have stiched seams.

I have fitted a few exmoor kits now, and if your handy with a pair of sissors and a few tools. Always found them good and straightforward.

I always refurbish the seat frame as well which takes longer than the fitting of seats as you have to rub metal down and spray a couple of coats of paint.

I have a set of front seats that are waiting full refurb, will be grey twill unless I get an order for something else.

The LR OEM vinyl seats seem to be one piece fronts which have stitching moulded in as opposed to real stitches so would be more waterproof (IMHO).

My 110 has bench seats, and have recently bought a set of three individual seats for the back, I will be retrimming the rear seats in G4.

I also fit seat heaters in front seats which helps in a drafty Defender !