2-POST or 4-POST??

I am planning a new garage when I build a new house. But :unsure: about whether a 2-post or 4-post hydraulic jack will be suitable to work with my 110. My main concern is, 2-post jack will save me space but will the landy be stable?? Any opinion is welcomed

True, but there is very little on the side of your average LR, and the need to remove axles is greater, I would go for the 2 post. Since they get in the way of the drive train less.

If I had the money I would get the ones that sink in to the ground when not in use, then they are totally out of the way.

I've used both a fair deal and I think that the 4 poster is probably the more practical - easier to drive onto without the need for the accurate location of the arms, you can use the side rails to give you wheels free if necessary and if it's not in use then you can raise it to waist level push the side rail in and use it as another bench :)

HTH

Mo

I use a four post with a wheel free jack, but the Bradbury with wheel free beams is the one I'd have given free choice.

As others have said the 4-post is much easier to use and more flexible , and as Mo points out it also makes an excellent adjustable bench :P . 2-post lifts are more use for car servicing/clutchs/cambelts.....I've used 2-posters with Land Rovers and other 4x4's and they are a pain.....my 1.63p( inflation n all that :lol: )

Cheers

Steveb

True, but there is very little on the side of your average LR

Well except fuel tank, sides of the chassis, doors, bulkhead outriggers, fuel tank outriggers, front radius arm inboard bushes. A 2-post lift will effectivelt make it difficult to work on the battery tray, seats, doors,handbrake lever, transmission tunnel, fuse box (anything really that's in the front). If the two posts have to be a set distance apart, then sometimes is difficult enough even to get out of the drivers door without belting the post with it.

Les.

May I just say Sicssor Lifts :)

They have no posts and can be long enough to act like a conventional 4 poster, with tracks for beam jacks. Where I used to work they have short sicssor lifts and we used rubber blocks under the chassis to lift both cars and LRs. They where both single phase as well :)

As I say no posts in the way and the short one are brilliant for working on hubs.

Long one

SP-45r.jpg

Short one

SP-7X.jpg

:):) Thanks to everyone for sharing your experience. Looks like the 4-post will be more practical to me.

The scissor is worth considering but a bit expensive on my side of the world.Tkanks again

cheers

Might be an idea to fill in your profile so we know where 'your side of the world' is ;)

Might be an idea to fill in your profile so we know where 'your side of the world' is ;)

:unsure: Good one there... Good to know where people come from..... For all U know one is underground locked up in a basement somewhere unknown for 24 years.... :rolleyes::unsure:

Well except fuel tank, sides of the chassis, doors, bulkhead outriggers, fuel tank outriggers, front radius arm inboard bushes. A 2-post lift will effectivelt make it difficult to work on the battery tray, seats, doors,handbrake lever, transmission tunnel, fuse box (anything really that's in the front). If the two posts have to be a set distance apart, then sometimes is difficult enough even to get out of the drivers door without belting the post with it.

Les.

:lol:

It's a matter of choice I suppose. I wouldn't use a ramp for any of the above, (I'd just work on it on the floor) it's not nice having to bend backwards trying to get to a fuel tank, or anything else for that matter. In the end they both have their pro's an con's. Why not have both :P

Guest otchie1

2 posters are designed to make getting a service done quick and easy. You drive it on, swing the legs out and it's up in no time.

Engine bay stuff whilst it's low down, lift it a bit, check ball joints et al, wheels off, check brakes.

Lift it a bit more, fluids out and check the underside.

In & out in no time. Easy access to everything as you'll be lifting on the chassis rails between the wheels.

Having worked extensively with both I'd always want a 2-poster but my worry for a 110 certainly though would be the SWL although I've just seen that they do 4 & 4.5 tonne units.

2 posters are also cheaper it seems.

For a 110 I would use a 4-post.

We used to have access to a garage through our club that had a 2 post

lift, and 2 be honest I only ever dared lifting our 110 or even the RRC

just a couple of centimeters off the ground, as it never felt stable.

It probably was, but I just preferred to work on the car sitting on the ground rather

than using the 2-post.