Front spot light mounting.....

chrism

I want to put four spotlights on the top of my 90 cage as most trucks do but its a challenge truck so i want them to be fairly well protected but still be able to see out of my windscreen! Anyone got any pics of their bars? Im only going to use cheap lights so it doesnt matter if they break but the main thing is making sure the bar doesnt catch on trees and branches that i go under

Cheers

I have mine mounted like so................... but it should be borne in mind that it is an MOT failure due to them being within the sweep of the wiper blade (i.e. supposedly obstructing the drivers vision )

As I am fed up with removing two of them once a year, I will go over to Simon's X-lites ...........however, It should be said that my MOT man is very friendly but I just don't want to put him in an awkward position (family friend) .............

DSCF1535.jpg

:)

Ian

By cheap i mean about a tenner a pair! So im really not fussed if they break! X eng lights do look smart but am yet to see them in the flesh and i dont really see the point in paying all that money for the sake of it since the cheap ones will do what i want.

BBC... I like that but i was thinking of a putting an extra piece of tube across the front and fit them to the back of it for a little more protection. Regarding the MOT im not too worried at all about that

Cheers

I wish I could have seen the pictures in this thread, none of them are showing unfortunately.

Can I just ask that if they are really cheap, how well are they going to work (range, spread etc)? I have a little saying I use all the time and it relates to how tyres and lights are two things you never want to go cheap on. I haven't found a lamp (unless a rare bargain is found on used items) that is worth it's salt unless you pay fairly well for it. It's a shame to spend a lot time mounting, wiring etc only to find the performance of the item is lacking. Just my opinion however.....

I believe you CAN have your cake and eat it too, there are ways if a bit of time and thought are put into lamp type and all alternative locations are considered. Be careful on roof mounting that you don't get a lot of light on your bonnet that desensitizes your eyes at night......

I think for low cost lights - somewhere like Halfords or eBay are your best bet. I've seen some 'projector' lights which are quite compact and may not light up your bonnet too much?

I agree that our lights are at the more expensive end of the scale - but still cheap compared to say KC's or Lightforce.

The design of ours was based on having something which is almost indestructable and with a built in hood to minimise the light cast on the bonnet. Prior to these I bust several sets of lights - and the performance of them was limited by the glare off the bonnet. I just thought we could do better. The lights are machined out of a solid lump of Aluminium. Unfortunately, both the raw material and the CNC machining are expensive - but I think the end result is worthwhile.

Si

I have the Same as Ian and I smashed another this Saturday gone

I have now purchased approx 3 sets and got some 2nd hand from Nick

once these go I'll swap them for xlites as in the end it'll work out far cheaper than keep buying cheapo ones

Guys,, How often do you use top lamps,, :unsure:

Mine are now quick release, and only get fitted when the truck will be use in the dark,, which it very seldom,

Maybe i am missing something,, is it a bling thing :ph34r:

Mine are now quick release, and only get fitted when the truck will be use in the dark,, which it very seldom,

Maybe i am missing something,, is it a bling thing :ph34r:

Naaah i reckon a big orange range rover sport would be a bling thing

ohh hang on i'll get my coat.....................

Guys,, How often do you use top lamps,, :unsure:

Roughly twice a week when mooching round the fields with the .22

Also use them when driving home at night as all our roads are tiny country lanes and they really help. They also come in handy 'politely asking' other drivers to dip.

mad

I've got some small cheapo lamps mounted on ears under the cage, with a short offcut of domestic downtube drainpipe as a cowl to stop them lighting up the bonnet. I wasn't convinced it'd work but I'm very pleased with the final result. It's no Picasso...

I thought they'd get knocked off (and I'd have to make some more at £0 each) but so far, so good, 2 years later.

03112007027.jpg