Ground anchor?

Stevie D

As it says^^^^

Its just a matter of time before I end up stick too far away from a suitable tree :rolleyes: The neigbours will talk about me for years if I need to go and beg a tractor to pull the 110 out of a bog hole...

Cheers Steve

The X-eng anchor has given me great results, at Cowm Quarry last weekend it was put to lots of use, the only tree I saw on the site was growing in the wall of a derelict building.

The anchor works very well in boggy ground, I have had great use out of it on clay and ordinary grassy field type ground. The only thing which seems to give trouble is rocky/very stony ground which tends to bend the spade tips, however, the anchor will still dig into soft ground with bent tips.

In its favour my co-driver loves it because he can throw it up, down or just at me with ease.

Overall, if you want an anchor which is light weight and works well on boggy and clay then the X-eng anchor is ideal, if you operate mostly on stony/rocky sites then other anchors may be less prone to spade damage.

The spade tips can always be straightened after contact with rocky ground.

In its favour my co-driver loves it because he can throw it up, down or just at me with ease.

not me this time!

Having used an X-Anchor for trg and competition work they are good and the only time it failed was in the AWDC event in north wales but then i think most had alot of issues with all types of anchors there. Slindon, Bordon, Wellington, Bampton only a small selection but its worked very well in all of them.

a great benefit is its light weight which for a little codriver like me is good news.

Kin Right too

Huge amount of hours work, think Mr Warne has one / had one Extra HD KittyGripper in the classifieds maybe ?

Nige

Yeah so long that I decided to rebuild the truck as I simply couldn't compete without a ground anchor :P

Yes, it is available as my co-driver prefered the X-anchor's weight. :huh:

The plough type anchors with the normal sized spades are actually not that good in very soft peat - speaking as somebody who is surrounded by the stuff :) it tends to bury right down to the arm and then pull along under the ground. I've not tried all the different types but have enough experience with the KG to know that what is down there is slop with zero strength and it wouldn't really matter what you put down there it would do the same, the design of the anchor works fine there is just nothing for it to pull on! If you built a massive spade (say 24-30 inches wide) they would work much better I think, but then you have to find somewhere to carry it... its a development I plan to do with my KG "one day" to see what it is like. They work better in harder peat and of course all other conditions - the problem is with the sort of stuff where you jump on the surface and it wobbles like a fat person :)

The other anchor I carry is a military tube and pin type which in very soft ground often works better (though you can still pull it out easily with the Milemarker) because it can get a bit of a "grip" on the turf mat at the surface whereas below the surface is just slop. I carry both at all times now, use the KG where I think it will work (lighter, easier and quicker to set), then the mil anchor, and if in really deep **** then both of them chained together...

I like the look of the X-Eng one of the commercially available types.

Just my 2p.

One point on the spade tyr ground anchors, they all have flat spades. Has anyone tried welding a strip of metal perpendicular to the balde at the back. If you thinking WFT bear with me

One of the modules last year involved ground anchors, which in true harper style was about half an hour of theory followe by an hour and a half of constructive playing. The main piece of quipment we were using was an old trqactor PTO winch with a built in ground anchor.

42_1.jpg

Not the best of pictures but you get the idea.

The anchor was a relativerly a flat blade, so similar in concept to the spade type ground anchors used on comps. A fter a few measured pulls a perpendiculare plate was bolted on to the top side. The result was it blocked soil from freely flow over the blade and the blade didn't go as far down in to the ground, but more importantly was the force required to drag the ground anchor through the ground was greater despite the shallower depth. Has this modification been tried by off roaders? if so what were the results?

Stevie D, how quickly are you trying to extract your self? The spade anchors appear to be the quickest for competitions, but where speed isn't so critical then there are several other types wich should be more effective in soft ground. As well as the pins through a tube/plate mentione above there are also screw type anchors which should get far more purchase in very soft ground, but obviously arn't much use on hard ground and take a relativerly long time to set up.