Advice on which wheels to go for

Hi,

I am currently running Freestyle alloys with 235 x 85 R16 road tyres (behave like slicks offroad) and will be buying some 265 x 75 R16 BFG mud terrains this weekend.

I want to ditch the alloys for something a little less 'supermarket carpark bling' and would appreciate advice on which steel rims will fit, and opinions and pictures of the steel wheels that you guys have.

I have read that I need a rim size of between 7.5 to 9.0 so I should go for 16x8 but some people run 265x75 on 16x7 with no problems. Which is recommended?

I like the look of Wolf rims and Modulars but not sure what else is out there that fits and looks good.

thanks,

mad

if you want ultra strong steels then there's only 1 choice the LR XD/Wolf steels these are 6.5 x 16 in size & will happily accept 255/85 MT's & they look like this on my 110 or the Discovery 5 spoke steels are nearly as strong & are 7.0 x 16, so would accept the 265/s without any problem, only available in silver though.

post-20-1214595386_thumb.jpg

Many Defender owners on here run 255/85s rather than the 235/85s you currently have or the 265/75s you propose. They are 10mm narrower than the 265 but 100mm larger diameter which is a terrific bonus, particularly in ruts. I would suggest considering them as an alternative to the 265/75s. The larger diameter will mean a slightly reduced turning circle, especially on Freestyles, and a slightly increased gear ratio.

Recent experience suggests to me that XD/Wolf rims are the only steel wheels worth fitting with BFGs - it pains me to say it but AJS had some recently, and may still do.

Chris

@western

I like the look of those. Nice and solid.

@GBMUD

Is there a problem with AJS? They are fairly local to me but won't go there if they have poor customer service.

@Mo Murphy

I will probably try to get shot of all 5 including the slicks in one go but all depends on so many things.

I used to have a link to a site that sold cheep steel wheels, was ex MOD stuff or related to MOD or maybe it was just a green colour :-). Can't for the life of me find it on Google any more or in my bookmarks, anybody know the address?

thanks.

That's Vass's Ralph :)

Mo

That's it, I couldn't think of the name.

Hedley, it's probably these you saw, they are not XD/Wolf like mine but the earlier 6.5 x 16 used on 130 Rapier tractors.

Michelin XZY 750 R16 wheel assemblies from

£40 each + VAT

6 ½ J Rims only£20 each + VAT

post-20-1214689143.jpeg

Guest noggy

get some disco steels, 16x7 slighty better offset than standard, very cheap, and you can paint them black:D

you can buy aftermarket ones in 16x8 and 15x8 i think in a choice of colours (silver or black)

@GBMUD

Is there a problem with AJS? They are fairly local to me but won't go there if they have poor customer service.

I suggested them as I noticed you are nearby. I vowed never to recommend them to anyone ever again after Andy was rude and unpleasant to me last time I tried to buy tires from him. It seems I made the mistake of asking him to pricematch another companies price.

Chris

I suggested them as I noticed you are nearby. I vowed never to recommend them to anyone ever again after Andy was rude and unpleasant to me last time I tried to buy tires from him. It seems I made the mistake of asking him to pricematch another companies price.

Chris

Good enough recommendation for me not to go there then. If someone is rude because a customer asked them to match a price then they shouldn't be in business. A polite 'no' would suffice.

I asked the wife (to be) what type of wheels she likes and the only ones so far are Ralph's. Looks like I'm going to have to paint some rust on as she can't stand the look of new shiny things (bless her) and wants them to look tatty and used to match the landy. Probably why she is with me :lol:

Last question to which I think I know the answer... As already said, I have Freestyle Alloys on just now, and these have 20mm spacers which I think enable them to fit on the rear axle with drum brakes? I take it these can/should come off with the tyres/wheels otherwise they will stick outside of the arch. I know the best thing to do is fit them and check but really just want to confirm why the previous owner fitted spacers unless it was just to improve looks/turning circle.

I asked the wife (to be) what type of wheels she likes and the only ones so far are Ralph's. Looks like I'm going to have to paint some rust on as she can't stand the look of new shiny things (bless her) and wants them to look tatty and used to match the landy. Probably why she is with me

Your Wife is more of a LR nut than you :i-m_so_happy::rofl:

Yep, take the adaptors off & sell them, you don't need them for the XD/Wolf steels [my 110 is same age as yours] :i-m_so_happy:

Good enough recommendation for me not to go there then. If someone is rude because a customer asked them to match a price then they shouldn't be in business. A polite 'no' would suffice.

I asked the wife (to be) what type of wheels she likes and the only ones so far are Ralph's. Looks like I'm going to have to paint some rust on as she can't stand the look of new shiny things (bless her) and wants them to look tatty and used to match the landy. Probably why she is with me :lol:

Last question to which I think I know the answer... As already said, I have Freestyle Alloys on just now, and these have 20mm spacers which I think enable them to fit on the rear axle with drum brakes? I take it these can/should come off with the tyres/wheels otherwise they will stick outside of the arch. I know the best thing to do is fit them and check but really just want to confirm why the previous owner fitted spacers unless it was just to improve looks/turning circle.

I use AJS and not a problem bought 2 sets 255/85/16 BFG muds over the past 8 years or so. I didn't question their price compared with other outlets :lol:

I have just replaced 2 off 255/85/R16 BFG Muds on the nas but used Jason and Lee who run a mobile tyre service and both are avid off-roaders, Chris knows them both, their price was £10 a tyre more expensive but Jason came to the factory which saved me a 2 hour trip and fuel to go to Reigate!

Dorking might be too far for their mobile service but if you want 5 tyres maybe a better price than 2 tyres? Can give you a contact number but PM me.

BTW this is a good site to check those tyre sizes against rim size, surprised Ralph didn't post you in this direction

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html

I have just replaced 2 off 255/85/R16 BFG Muds on the nas but used Jason and Lee who run a mobile tyre service and both are avid off-roaders, Chris knows them both, their price was £10 a tyre more expensive but Jason came to the factory which saved me a 2 hour trip and fuel to go to Reigate!

Dorking might be too far for their mobile service but if you want 5 tyres maybe a better price than 2 tyres? Can give you a contact number but PM me.

I take it they fit tyres as well as sell rims? I work in Reigate so they wouldn't have to go far. I will PM you for their details.

I have just read on the side of the 265x75 BFG's that WARNING! They must not be put on 6.5 rims. I thought this was what most people fitted for this size of tyre?

I have just read on the side of the 265x75 BFG's that WARNING! They must not be put on 6.5 rims. I thought this was what most people fitted for this size of tyre?

I think if you re-read it you will see it says 'must not be put on 16.5" rims' this is referring to the diameter not the rim width :) some vehicles (Hummers I think) have 16.5" diameter rims (apparently to stop the US army squaddies nicking tyres) but the half inch difference in rim diameter doesn't do much for the tyre when you try to inflate a 16" tyre on a 16.5" rim.

Personally I think that Modulars are the best looking rim ever on a LR.....has the strength & looks like they have a purpose. In their way, I suppose they have a certain amount of Bling?

I agree :)

post-33-1214767924_thumb.jpg

I and others have had too many slow punctures from debris between bead and rim when off roading from using the modulars with BFG Muds.

Given this I personally wouldn't recommend anyone to use them with BFG Muds. Any other tyre ok and I'm sure that some are running with BFG Mud's with no problems, but from my personal experience I wouldn't recommend that combination.

Cheers

Steve

I take it they fit tyres as well as sell rims? I work in Reigate so they wouldn't have to go far. I will PM you for their details.

I know they sell tyres, fit valves and balance.

I will ask them if they sell rims, then they can fit the tyres to new rims and drop them off to you. Knowing Jason he will change the tyres for you, he has a very clever air bag suspension unit that fits under the axle connect to compressor and up in a flash :lol:

I think if you re-read it you will see it says 'must not be put on 16.5" rims' this is referring to the diameter not the rim width :)

Oh how chuffing embarrassing is that. :blush:

<start lame excuses> the wheels are stored in the ferret shed, it's dark, I was tired... etc.</end lame excuses>

I found the site I was looking for: http://www.exmod.co.uk/wheels.html

Here are some of the wheels they have:

SilvermodularAT11.jpg

Brand new rims suitable for all Defender 90 and 110.

£27 each

Nice but would need painting as they are too shiny.

StdRim.jpg

Good used condition steel rims for all Defender 90 and 110 plus 109 Series 3.

May need painting.

£5 each

These are the ones me and the missus like the most, and not just because we can get 5 for the price of one modular. Although that does help the decision a little.

8Spoke.jpg

Good used condition 16x7 and 16x8 8 spoke steel rims for all Defender models. Will take tubeless tyres up to 265/75.

May need painting

£7 each

Discorim.jpg

Good used condition Discovery steel rims. Heavier gauge than standard rim.

May need painting

£10 each

RostyleRim.jpg

Good used condition suitable for Defender 90 and Range Rover classic.

May need painting

£10

The green pre-XD/Wolf steels were used on early 127/130's & the 130 Rapier missle tractors, they're 6.5 inch wide but not as [thick material] strong as the XD/Wolf wheels.

the Discovery 5 spokes are good & strong.

Modulars look good as do the 8 spokes [most Elect Co's fit these with 265 tyres]

Don't even think of fitting the RR Rostyles ther are not rated for a 110 & can crack.

6 ½ J Rims £20+ VAT

tyres_129_2915_IMG.jpeg

I like them a lot, but I spoke to Terry today and including delivery it is coming in at £164 for 5 second hand wheels :unsure: . I could get 5 brand new modulars from Paddocks for around that price!

The ones I liked on the Exmod site:

StdRim.jpg

are 5.5 width so no use to me.

I'm going to see how much 5 Disco ones are including delivery. It's just I really like the bog standard plain look without any spokes.

Fussy, I know.