WHich one

JST

i want something with more space than the current 90 that will sit 4 in comfort and be practical for daily use as well as longer trips.

To me a D3 fits this bill but fuel economy and cost of running make me hinge back towards a Defender - which is all i have owned in the past.

I am not particualary keen on a D2 td5 as i dont think it compares to a D3 for performance/refinement or space and if i was going for Disco it would have to therefore be a D3.

a 110 has the space but lacks the refinment, but its alot cheaper and should be better on mpg

Anyone else find themselves deciding between the two and if so what did you go for?

From a running cost perspective the 110 wins hands down as it will depreciate less and, if you get a double cab it is only £180/year to tax. If you desire more comfort the Disco is the winner. I have had a similar decision to make recently and I think I have chosen the 110 I already have over a pocket full of cash and a D2. The reason? Better the devil I know than the devil I do not, a Disco will look carp if I dent it on a green lane whereas the 110 will simply look loved and because I like being able to load stuff in and not worry too much about the interior.

The main attraction of the Disco is driver comfort on longer journeys but I am used to the 110, the driving position is OK for me and if I can do a 2300km (Naples back to home) journey in it in one sitting without huge discomfort how bad can it be? Since you are a multi car family then there is always the wife's car for long trips if the 110 does not suit. I would look for a 110 with AC though!

Chris

Cheers Mark - will do tomorrow,

Chris - everything there i agree with, not looking to off road a D3 though but you know how it is. running costs are a concern ie tyres for one - ones at work dont last long at all!

Anyone know what the space differences are between a 110 and D3?

James,

Are you thinking of buying new? If you are then I agree a 110 is cheaper than a Discovery; if you are buying used, a year + then I would say purchase price would be very similar.

A D3 is far bigger inside.

90 brochure page 46

disco brochure page 54

Fueling costs:- the Disco is far better on fuel if you drive it the same speed as a defender.

Routine servicing is cheaper and less frequent on the Disco.

Yes tyres and repair costs may be higher.

Mark

James - if you are not going to off road the D3 then why bother with a 4x4? Do you need the towing capacity? Your work doesn't require you to own a green oval product (or even a Tata) so if no towing then why not buy a car? Timbo has a few nice ones on the forecourt - a nice V70 with a D5 would ease those tiresome journeys.

If you are buying Green Oval for the sake of Green Oval then all of Chris's arguments come into play very nicely - especially the depreciation bit. Some friends of ours foolishly bought a D3 two years ago (ex Demo), it's had all the faults fixed {and boy was that a list!}, full service, low miles etc; and is now not worth selling as the PE price is less than a chip supper...

D3 has no street cred what so ever; none, nada, zilch, zero and if you put a roof rack on it and a snorkel you will become a fashion victim

Dave

But 1/2 the 90/110 that I see about Wiltshire are all fashion victims. All the gear and not a spot of mud anywhere!! And before Tim starts my new 90 does have dirt on it :P

Fair do's Walfster but what about the other half?

We have about 6 110's in the village and 5 90's - the blingest 110 is an EA jobbie in the new silver and black scheme and it looks the badgers cojones, next blingest is the Western Power jobbie, also a transit engined LR and sooo covered in muck it's hard to believe it's white. Al the other LR's are covered in muck, cow poo, small child vomit, and other exudances, none are blinged, all are used to off road/tow/get around the appaling roads we have round here. Once again Somerset holding up Wiltshire!

i've sort of been in the same boat (not looking quite as new mind)

i'm planing to change my disco out some time in the next year or so

i'm only hoping to go to a 300TDI but would like to go to a 110 but my buget isn't high enuff to get a 300tdi 110 only a disco.

with what i do the disco is very hard to keep clean in side also the 110 has alot more room in the back but the kids wont be as comfy as a disco

time will tell what i do as i've got lost of time to make my mind up

as my disco has got an MOT till may at least.

i want something with more space than the current 90 that will sit 4 in comfort and be practical for daily use as well as longer trips.

The 110 has no comfort for the driver and even less for back seat passengers on long journeys unless you are willing to change the seats and with your slim, sleek racing snake frame you will probably get away with that but what can you do about the noise, trying to have a conversation on a hands free is almost a non event, especially at 95mph on the M5.

Put three guys on the back seat and ask one of them to wind the window down!.

I guess the odd long trip would be ok but a 110 is like a brick and a D3 is like a bigger brick.

Personally, a late low milage D2 TD5 chipped is the way to go (personally).

We have a 110 for work and you cannot beat it but for long journeys with 4 blokes in, it sucks.

Speaking as one in a state of advancing old age, a knackered back, dodgy knee and shot shoulder, long journeys in a Defender are down to ones state of mind. I can happily do long journeys in the 100", which I don't find that noisy. The only thing that gets me down is the impossible to sort leak from the OS door top on to my foot.

I agree with Treebloke though that three big blokes in the second row is a joke - but the easy solution is dump the OE Maquis De Sade seats and chuck in a couple of Exmoor trim high backs with no middle seat. Put in a couple of the old style Exmmor trim fold up forward facers in the rear and then you can seat 6 in relative comfort

I also agree with TB about the D2, when I worked for James's employers the D2 was the primary mode of transport, it's a great vehicle with shed loads of room, reasonable fuel economy and an easily tweaked lump. The S/H prices have fallen through the floor so a top spec one is easy to pick up

D3 has no street cred what so ever; none, nada, zilch, zero and if you put a roof rack on it and a snorkel you will become a fashion victim

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here David, I think a lot of people will also agree that a Disco 3 is a very desirably vehicle and ones with the same kit as a G4 look even better (views on if a vehicle should only look like it's going off road if it is going off road aside).

I think the advantage of an LR product would be the added flexibility. I think you'll find situations where the load space of the larger vehicle will be useful and being able to do some unplanned off roading with that vehicle will inevitably pop up, giving you the freedom to do so. For example I know I'd like a Disco 1 as a compromise between the 306 and 90 as even though I'd keep the 90 for the planned events and the 306 is a better road car, simply because there are times when the ability to take it off road would be great and cut the hassle of choosing the right vehicle for the event.

As for Disco or 110 I don't think you can go wrong with either, for every cost disadvantage to the D3 there's a comfort or road use disadvantage to the 110, it depends if the money is the deciding factor. Maybe I should just keep quiet though!

when i say i wouldn't off road i mean no more than horse boxes in wet fields or around sites for setting up or 7S, ie similar to what my td5 does. Plus i need something to tow 3.5T easily

I think its just ahving spent a week in a d3 made me think about it more, they are more practical for space and a nice Auto box.

heart says a 110 which is reinforced by everything above.

maybe its worth waiting for the 3L one!

when i say i wouldn't off road i mean no more than horse boxes in wet fields or around sites for setting up or 7S, ie similar to what my td5 does.

So not much off road use but still a load more than your challenge truck :P !

Buy the Disco, Defenders are horrible.

Or even better, Take Jase's advise!

If i was to buy a large 4x4 as a car for comfort ,practicality and reliability It would not be of the gren oval type but some thing more robust from Toyota .

I know a few that have gone with the fashion of owning a posh green oval, Sadly most had regrets with dealer and reliability problems .

If i was to buy a large 4x4 as a car for comfort ,practicality and reliability It would not be of the gren oval type but some thing more robust from Toyota .

I know a few that have gone with the fashion of owning a posh green oval, Sadly most had regrets with dealer and reliability problems .

i'm glad you said that and not me :D!!!

think a cruiser would be perfect for what was being suggested here- although i wonder if James might have trouble seeing over the steering wheel!

So not much off road use but still a load more than your challenge truck :P !

Buy the Disco, Defenders are horrible.

Or even better, Take Jase's advise!

very true but not helping shame your due to come 2nd again at Slindon..................... :lol:

i think i would get lost in a LC. anyway Pugwash has one - enough said...... :ph34r:

Jase - why thank you for the link, i thought Steve was pleased with his?