Whats is worth ?

MogLite

Andy,

Why bother???

I think I'm correct in saying that your 3.9 is otherwise unmodified therefore the EFI system will be suited to the engine. The spares are therefore universal and easily come by. If it wont start, borrow and ecu off of a mate etc etc.

Megasquirt wont start........

Whats easier to carry? A spare ecu or a laptop, soldering iron etc etc.

Sorry but I'm just not convinced about using an ecu made by a spotty geek in his bedroom when there is an off the shelf system available. Plus with the sorts of environment we play in the wiring ends up all hacked with all sorts of joints in it etc.

As to whats it worth - simply depends where you're selling it. Ebay - probably more than you can buy on new for. If we're talking sodbury type prices not a huge amount. Bearing in mind you can buy a complete, running 3.9 rangie now for less than £500.

Jon

Andy,

Why bother???

<SNIP>

Well I'm at that stage, where I need to start the wiring, so if I'm going to go Megasquirt, then now is the time.

All your points are valid, except the laptop, which will already be on-board for in-car navigation.

The upgrade path to distributorless ignition, and nitrous control, appeal more that the basic product.

Yeah my V8 is stock bar air-filter and zorst, so the stock stuff won't be far off.

I've had a sniff around the completed auctions on eBay, and its true, the bits don't seem to go for that much, certainly not enough to make it an economic decision :(

suppose you got to size up your future plans, I didn't buy my 3.5 with the MS as I had no intentions of playing with fueling timing, performance or anything like that, while repairing a system on the side of a hill so I can limp it to the nearest garage pretty much spelt that SU carbs was the way for me :D

However, if you want to play and don't mind something like a dry solder joint or broken wire killing something then MS is possibly the best way for DIY injection :)

Why bother???

I think I'm correct in saying that your 3.9 is otherwise unmodified therefore the EFI system will be suited to the engine. The spares are therefore universal and easily come by. If it wont start, borrow and ecu off of a mate etc etc.

As Andy says, the ability to control distributorless ignition is the obvious reason. The hotwire system might not be that great by todays standards but it works and seems to be pretty reliable. RV8 ignition, on the other hand...

My point exactly. I run carbs and points for that very reason. I know I can fix them in the middle of a muddy field with a screwdriver and an adjustable spanner.

Stick with the standard stuff and use the standard rangie engine loom. You then simply need to make connections to one multiplug.

Jon

Blimey, you lot don't half talk some rubbish :lol:

If you like antique clockwork then carbs are probably the thing for you; don't go EFi, you'll hate it. The quick response, extra power and better economy will give you nightmares :P

As for MSEFI:

The MS is less likely to break than the Hotwire, and much easier to fix if it ever does.

A top cause of failure in flapper & hotwire is the airflow meter... MS doesn't use one.

The circuit diagrams, parts lists, etc. are all online, free, and all the components are available off-the-shelf from RS / Maplins / Radio Shack / the nearest old VCR.

The technology is 15-20 years younger and has been designed to work, not down to a price.

You don't need a laptop in the car unless you're tuning, or showing off.

The upgrade path is easy and cheap - to add ignition, fans, nitrous, etc. is a couple of mouse-clicks (although rather obviously you would still have to buy the hardware part)

The connection is still one multiplug, you can build an ECU into a dead Lucas one if you really want.

The MS has a much higher tolerance to wiring/sensor faults. It doesn't need a calibrated throttle sensor, won't cry if the lambda sensor dies (or if you never fit one) and can be told to ignore dead sensors. If you're really worried, spend £20 and buy a spare pair of sensors to keep in the toolbox.

Next question? :ph34r:

But if the throttle position sensor fails on either injection system = end of game.

cable operated SU and the nipple comes off, find a scotch block in your local garage or a three pin plug, put the cable through (take a pin out of the plug and use that) and screw the screw down on the cable, off you happily drive home to get on line and order a new throttle cable :D

Next ;)

But if the throttle position sensor fails on either injection system = end of game.

Errr, no.

The MS only uses the TPS for a bit of enrichment (like an accelerator pump on a carb), and will happily run without one. The newer software doesn't use it at all, works it out with maths instead.

The Lucas does indeed need the TPS not only to be present, but also calibrated, which is why Lucas TPS cost so damn much :lol:

Back to you, sir! :P

Errr, no.

The MS only uses the TPS for a bit of enrichment (like an accelerator pump on a carb), and will happily run without one. The newer software doesn't use it at all, works it out with maths instead.

The Lucas does indeed need the TPS not only to be present, but also calibrated, which is why Lucas TPS cost so damn much :lol:

Back to you, sir! :P

he he, enjoying this as learning what the new MS is capable of ;)

ah kay, how much are eight injectors gonna cost new, compared to two SU carbs, place your bets now for the cheapest :) :) :)

You don't need a laptop in the car unless you're tuning, or showing off.

I've got some cunning plans in that department :)

I've just got one of those smart phone thingummies - it won't run any of the existing Megasquirt tuning software, but I reckon it should be fairly straightforward to write some. There's already PDA software for Palm that's open source, and of course all the interfaces are published. Then I can tune the car and have pretty graphs monitoring just about anything, on the fly.

Definitely in the showing off category ;)

ah kay, how much are eight injectors gonna cost new, compared to two SU carbs, place your bets now for the cheapest :) :) :)

Well I usually pay about £10 at Sodbury for a complete EFI inlet manfold & loom including injectors & sensors.

Since injectors are fairly universal in their fitment, you can rob injectors from any car of similar power and fit those should RR ones ever become expensive. Handy thing with MS is you can tell it the flow rate of your new injectors and it will shift the fuel map to suit.

Not that injectors fail very often (when's the last time you heard of someone breaking down 'cos of an injector?), but if one does you're still at 7/8ths capacity rather than half or zero.

BTW, is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour? :lol:

Sorry, but how does something that has no idea what the airflow is into the engine, nor any clue about whether the driver has his foot off the pedal or the pedal welded to the floor, make any even remotely accurate assessment of how much fuel to stuff in...?

Easy way round this.....................................

200TDI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And no MEGADRIBBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nahhhhh, twin SU's! and Burlen Fuel Systems who make them are only 6 miles from me so any bits or tuning or advice is nay problem :D