Tragic events in Wales this weekend.

Peter

Guest diesel_jim

Hmmm... reading between the lines, was it a byway (sounds like it might have been from what the interviewee is saying), or a private foresty commission track?

should they have been there?

Hmmm... reading between the lines, was it a byway (sounds like it might have been from what the interviewee is saying), or a private foresty commission track?

should they have been there?

BBC News Wales

From the local news, it was a forestry commission track. It's also a relatively remote area.

Regardless of the rights & wrongs of whether or not they had permission to be there, this is a warning to all of us that no matter how well equipped or experienced we are, mother nature is far more powerful and more dangerous than the best equipment & experience can account for.

Trying to ford a swollen and presumably unknown depth of river, 2.3 tonnes of Disco was simply washed away. From the pictures, the car was equipped with proper off road tyres and had chequer plate along the lower edges of the doors. Presumably the occupants had been off roading before.

Obviously, we feel for the occupants and victims but we should also learn a lesson for ourselves.

From what the interviewee was saying about the track repeatedly crossing the river it sounds as though it could be Strata Florida. That is in the Llyn Brianne area and is a popular lane for camping on so seems to fit. And we know how dangerous that can be in flood.

Putting all the details I have heard together it could only have been Strata Florida. 'Forestry' track north of Llyn Brianne cris-crossing a river, legal and popular with 'off-roaders'. See the video in the original link. I am glad they found someone literate to interview, he came across well I thought. Imagine some of the people they could have found in that area to interview for television. :o

I had a near miss on that lane some years ago and met others who were not so lucky but fortunately got out unhurt. As White90 says, there by the grace of God...

My deepest sympathy to the family.

Chris

Very Sad, Goes to show you never can tell what's around the corner. I've always regarded strata Florida as no more than a rough track, To think something like this could happen is unbelievable.

As for,

See the video in the original link. I am glad they found someone literate to interview, he came across well I thought. Imagine some of the people they could have found in that area to interview for television. :o

Chris

Gary's accent is usually so strong you can only understand every other word. Must have been a shock to them to find out what happened half way through putting it back on its wheels. Seems amazing the vehicle was left un-attended after such an accident.

I said where it was yesterday on other forums. Looking at the pictures in todays papers I was right.

If you do Strata Florida from the south, headding to the abbey end, just before the first river corssing you cross another stream. It happened just after this and before the river crossing.

Paul

sad times but why were they on there own?? in such a treachrous time with all the rainfall and what not, correct me if im wrong, but you travel in groups in case something like that happens???

They were actually in a group. If you read the article, you will see that other members of the group had to go 3 miles to the nearest farmer as there was no mobile phone coverage.

Ivan

Guest diesel_jim

Shame the story seems to contradict itself....

"a group of 4x4's"

"the driver had to walk some distance to raise the alarm"

where were his mates then?