Anyone recommend any pay and play sies in Gloucester area?

Disco51Pete

Hello, i am looking for places in Gloucester area for pay and play, my 51plate disco is pretty standard at the mo, but i am looking at changing the tyres and other bits shortly. Can anyone recommend the advisable mods for doing to my disco for these sites and where these sites can be found local to me???? Cheers. Pete.

I can't recommend any pay&play sites you might have near you since I'm not from UK. But since none of the UK members here had a shot at this (you could have more luck if you would have asked this in the International section), I'll try some hints.

Check out http://www.paynplay.co.uk/ for the sites in your area published there.

After you type < Gloucester > in the box at the bottom and hit the "Center map on Town" button you will get the map in your area. Zoom out (use the "-" square box on the left top of the map) and you'll find the nearest place (click on the red up side down water drop shape marker): "Hags Hill Quarry (Tim Frys)", a.k.a "Tim Fry's Place", a.k.a "Cheltenham Quarry" (you can reach Tim Fry here: http://www.timfrylandrovers.co.uk/company.htm).

Too see what's it like there, here are some movies: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...eltenham+quarry

I did a course at Whitecliff in the Forest of Dean. Brilliant site and superb tuition. I don't know if they do pay and play, but very much worth giving them a call.

http://www.whitecliff4x4.co.uk/

TEL:

01594 834666 or 07720734192

EMAIL:

info@whitecliff4x4.co.uk

I will be booking up for their whole day recovery techniques course in a month or two

• 2 weeks later...

there is a simple green lane that you should be ok for you to test your motor , its off shurdington road Cheltenham , if you drive down badgeworth lane from the golden valley roundabout it brings you out on the shurdington road and the lane is directly in front of you

there is a simple green lane that you should be ok for you to test your motor , its off shurdington road Cheltenham , if you drive down badgeworth lane from the golden valley roundabout it brings you out on the shurdington road and the lane is directly in front of you

Mudmad,

Just been up there as a slight detour home from Cheltenham. Got the adrenalin going a bit and grounded the diff once or twice (standard 90 300TDi). I have recently started laning in the area (Fosee Way, one or two bits around Cooper's Hill). This was more challenging than much of what I have done so far , how would you rate it compared to other Gloucestershire lanes ?

Mudmad,

Just been up there as a slight detour home from Cheltenham. Got the adrenalin going a bit and grounded the diff once or twice (standard 90 300TDi). I have recently started laning in the area (Fosee Way, one or two bits around Cooper's Hill). This was more challenging than much of what I have done so far , how would you rate it compared to other Gloucestershire lanes ?

hi richard ,

its probably one of the best lanes in the area for a standard motor but there are alot that we do which are better but it would be impossable without a decent set of tyres , this was taken last sunday in wiltshire .

if you fancy doing some good laneing let me know and you can tag along with us on our next trip , also i have a set of mud tyres for sale if your looking for some just let me know .

hi richard ,

its probably one of the best lanes in the area for a standard motor but there are alot that we do which are better but it would be impossable without a decent set of tyres , this was taken last sunday in wiltshire .

if you fancy doing some good laneing let me know and you can tag along with us on our next trip , also i have a set of mud tyres for sale if your looking for some just let me know .

Thanks, that is very kind, if I get some decent time at a weekend I'll pm you. We have two baby daughters at the moment, and I am kitting out the 90 (which is my day car too) for camping next year in preparation for an expedition, so opportunities are limited. I am running Goodrich AT's, which do well for motorway commuting (Bristol when I have to) and the easier lanes, so I'll keep to them for the moment. I do need more off-road experience, so the offer to tag along is very welcome.

hi richard ,

That's the sort of photo that the anti 4x4 campiagners are looking for, to use in their case for banning green laning, you should not be 'testing' your vehicle on public rights of way.

I'd have thought as you've stated in another forum your a member of GLass you ought to really know better.

if the lanes are wet & sticky STAY AWAY. give the ground chance to dry out as driving lanes in that condition doesn't help anything or anyone & just makes other think you disregard everything, including the law of the land.

"That's the sort of photo that the anti 4x4 campiagners are looking for, to use in their case for banning green laning, you should not be 'testing' your vehicle on public rights of way.

I'd have thought as you've stated in another forum your a member of GLass you ought to really know better.

if the lanes are wet & sticky STAY AWAY. give the ground chance to dry out as driving lanes in that condition doesn't help anything or anyone & just makes other think you disregard everything, including the law of the land."

Whats wrong with you ! ? , the lane is there for all to see , and no doubt come the summer i'll be down there with loads of others repairing the damage thats mostly been done by the FARMERS with there TRACTORS go to the lane and see for yourself

if you think i'm liar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , i also see that someone has put a os map up on the other thread labelled hell lane and you ok'd it . double standards springs to mind !!!!!!!!!!! you either can put lane locations up or you cant , which is it ?

There is of course a difference between showing a map picture, without showing the condition of the lane, as opposed to showing a photo driving a lane that clearly could do with a rest :rolleyes:

that said IMHO neither maps or locations should be on an open forum(PM's by all means if its a regular poster), as it tends to point traffic to them because people think there difficult..."lets off Road"

The anti's can't do a lot with a map...they can however do a lot with a photo that clearly looks like it should belong on pay and play day !

Again if it was a pic of a bog standard pick up it could be a farmer...but a caged/winched truck starts the alarm bells with the bobble hat brigade

and this is only my opinion, I'm not forcing it on you !, but......just think how you would feel if that lane was closed due to your picture being used :o

Whats wrong with you ! ? , the lane is there for all to see , and no doubt come the summer i'll be down there with loads of others repairing the damage thats mostly been done by the FARMERS with there TRACTORS go to the lane and see for yourself

if you think i'm liar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , i also see that someone has put a os map up on the other thread labelled hell lane and you ok'd it . double standards springs to mind !!!!!!!!!!! you either can put lane locations up or you cant , which is it ?

So just to check - are you claiming that the ruts in the picture above are caused by farm tractors? If not fine, if you are then you are a liar.

Cheers

Steve

Right. Pictures now gone as far as I know. This thread can now return to topic or get closed - I prefer the former but I really do not mind.. This is not open for discussion.

You will see a new rule pinned at the top of the Getting out and about forum.

Chris

• 1 month later...

In regard to the lane just outside Cheltenham, I would not tackle it on your own, especially in a standard vehicle. Mine is on AT's and needed a tow from my mate halfway up

There is also a hellish incline with rocks poking out just to the right of the lane, maybe 2/3rds of the way up? Dont attempt it, there were 2 disco bumpers, smashed to heck on the floor nearby lol

I'd say it needs to be left for awhile, its also very busy, especially on a Sunday, we meet 2 chaps coming down it on a motocross sidecar outfit, not a good moment lol

Cheers