looking for a very cheap new toy

jules

As the RRC will hopefully be collected next week I'm reallocating the money to credit cards :( but SWMBO has allowed me £1k to find another toy...

I'm not after another LR been there done that and fancy a change so I'm looking at Toyota's LC or hylux, Nissans patrols along with a G-wagon I've been offered for around that mark.

I want something that I can use as a marshal truck and tow truck but also boy up cheaply and easily (basically tyres and lift) something with a tough drive train is important.

I've found a nice looking Patrol 4.2TD for £995 and as I said been offered a G-Wagon but I have not seen that so I'll reserve judgment until then.

There seams to be a bit of selection out there

What are your thoughts people?

Dihatsi fourtrax go for good money & ive seen pajeros knocking about for a grand some fully loaded import specs.

Adrian

Pajero's

that's a good point I can get parts cheap for those...

and some have LSD's or is it normal lockers in the rear

Jules

Unless you are lucky a 4.2TD Patrol will be an absolute POS for £995

Isuzu :lol: Torsion bars on the front - instant lift, coils on the back.

Go for a SWB and it shouldn't get hung up like mine does.

UK spec has an LSD in the back, and an Aussie locker goes in the front cheaply enough.

33's aren't a problem

3.1TD can be awkward to work on, but is a decent lump

Budget ~£100 for manual front hubs, the auto ones suck.

Andy

Jules

Unless you are lucky a 4.2TD Patrol will be an absolute POS for £995

Isuzu :lol: Torsion bars on the front - instant lift, coils on the back.

Go for a SWB and it shouldn't get hung up like mine does.

UK spec has an LSD in the back, and an Aussie locker goes in the front cheaply enough.

33's aren't a problem

3.1TD can be awkward to work on, but is a decent lump

Budget ~£100 for manual front hubs, the auto ones suck.

Andy

the Patrol was a very ugly import but looked clean and was quite old... :huh:

perfect to chop the ars off and tray back :rolleyes:

a cheap G is what you walk away from; a decent mid 80's will still cost good money. Find a 200GD or 2.8GD with a blown engine, grab a cheap Musso and swap in the 2.9 five cylinder TD

The Nissan will be tougher than a tough thing unless the rust worm has taken hold - the 4.2 is a lovely lump capable of well over 500K

Watch out for a shot chassis on the trooper and run away from the 3.0ltr 16v

Indi Fourtracks are pants and leafers are too old now

A hi-lux has a low towing weight - a mere 2.2 tonnes but the 3.0Na double cab is the dogs dangley bits

Avoid Pajero's, parts are different spec to Shoguns, look out for poor maint on the very coolant particular engines. The 2.8 is the better choice but a good vehicle will hold it's value

don't touch a 1K G-wagon, it'll be rubbish...

i'd look for a Hi-Lux, or an older Nissan Patrol.....

It keeps going back to the old patrol

I may be removing a large chunk of the body work as its only a toy so body rust is not such a issue.

there are loads of surf's around cuew cab hylux's are harder to find (I would like a Crew cab one)

It keeps going back to the old patrol

I may be removing a large chunk of the body work as its only a toy so body rust is not such a issue.

there are loads of surf's around cuew cab hylux's are harder to find (I would like a Crew cab one)

A short wheel base patrol are not too bad and they are pretty cheap and we know they are stron underneth

nissan%20patrol%20gr%20lucy%20(12)_jpg.jpg

Or what can be done with a long wheel base

3-135334_Harb_02.jpg

3-135335_Harb_04.jpg

Anyway Jules i can send you all the cheap aftermarket stuff from over here for them

Ali

Jules, I'd also say patrol. Ed had one a little while ago which I had a go in - very capable, very tough. It would be a perfect toy.

Yeah that was a nice truck , the black one if my memory serves me right. He paid about £3000 for that and it was very tidy and not too old and had factory ockers all ready fitted

I would have one but really expensive here, cheaper to buy a landy

Yeah that was a nice truck , the black one if my memory serves me right. He paid about £3000 for that and it was very tidy and not too old and had factory ockers all ready fitted

Yeah, that was the one but it was a few years ago and it was in mint condition.

Seriously! That's amazing - I'd have thought they would be cheap with you.

although i do have a nissan sat in my garage at the moment. But is an Xtrail, not too impressed with the quality of the dash but seems nice apart from that. Looking after it for my brother in law who is away and have to have it in the garage as it is a nissan and has a Welsh flag on the back and can't have the neighbours see that , now can i :rolleyes:

But bit worried about the 90 catching somthing of all the jap products in the garage as i have the nissan xtrail a Suzuki and Honda motor bikes too :blink:

PICT0008-1.jpg

A short wheel base patrol are not too bad and they are pretty cheap and we know they are stron underneth

nissan%20patrol%20gr%20lucy%20(12)_jpg.jpg

Or what can be done with a long wheel base

3-135334_Harb_02.jpg

3-135335_Harb_04.jpg

Anyway Jules i can send you all the cheap aftermarket stuff from over here for them

Ali

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of...Lockers would be nice but not the end of the world