UK•XTC

najw

So let me get this right,.... neil please correct me if i am wrong. Full on speed event over all the deferent terrains kirton has to offer? Sounds like UKs first xrra, we rock, King of the Hammers event. I am so game!!

Can I request a late start of June??? lol I wont be back from my military vacation till then.

And when can we start sending you money.

So let me get this right,.... neil please correct me if i am wrong. Full on speed event over all the deferent terrains kirton has to offer? Sounds like UKs first xrra, we rock, King of the Hammers event. I am so game!!

Like I said earlier, it's not the first UK event of it's kind because it's been done in the Ironman Challenge. It was about 3 years ago that I did that event, great fun tearing around the Scottish mountain sides in the snow and ice in January. Not saying it's a bad idea, quite the opposite, but let's not start off by claiming it's the first of it's kind in the UK when the credit for that belongs to CoR as far as I am aware - if anyone knows of an earlier challenge event to use this format please shout up.

To run it under an MSA permit...

In terms of regulations for the event, it can run under a standard point to point permit as these are already designed to allow teams of 2 vehicles and include provision for recovery of team members. As part of that you'll need to use a credible scrutineer, all helmets will need to be MSA stickered, roll cages and mountings MSA approved, fire extinguishers to MSA standards, cut off switches etc...

Marshals will need to be available at every point and only one team will be allowed at a point at one time, any footpaths or tracks will need to be marshalled and/or taped off to avoid head ons between teams travelling in opposite directions. You will also need one or more rescue vehicles on the site to handle/evacuate anyone who is injured (not sure if these need to be accredited rally rescue teams). You'll also need to supply a central first aid facility with eye wash (this can just be a standard H&S at work first aid kit).

Any competitor taking part will have to be a member of either the organising club or an invited club (can't remember how many clubs you can invite on a clubman's permit). They will also need to hold an MSA license suitable for the event level.

I'd definitely be interested in giving it a go BTW :) If there's one event my engine wants to take part in it's one where you get to use your right foot a lot, just need to start saving for the fuel now !

another format that could be good is a high speed GPS comp

you have a gps base camp/garage 1st gps point is given to you and on the sound of the buzzer you all leave the perimiter of the garage at what ever speed you like.

some cars may travel a short distance to there punch others a large distance but over the day it evens out

so once you have got your punch you head back to the garage and enter the garage area at 5mph hand your gps board in and pick up a new one leave the garage and then travell as fast as you like.

the good bit about it is that you will not know what punch your heading for and untill you get there.

i have competed in this type of event an the teams are just smile all day

and you have the added skill of gps which at present there arnt any other gps events?

dave w a thought brain hartly COR aways run an event on strict 15mph? hardly a speed event though i could be wrong

dave w a thought brain hartly COR aways run an event on strict 15mph? hardly a speed event though i could be wrong

There was no speed limit on the event but yes, on normal CoR events there is/was a blanket speed limit. If there had been a speed limit on the event I wouldn't have said it was a speed event.

The format you are rfering to Andy is known as 'Punch control' and i agree it is an excellent way of doing an event.

I have used this system many times myself when setting out events and have raced in events using this style (although without the speed camera :lol: )

And as you say, it is great and does level out during the day.

Jim

Ps: Cor 15mph speed limit Aaahhhhhhhhhhh :ph34r:

Like I said earlier, it's not the first UK event of it's kind because it's been done in the Ironman Challenge. It was about 3 years ago that I did that event, great fun tearing around the Scottish mountain sides in the snow and ice in January. Not saying it's a bad idea, quite the opposite, but let's not start off by claiming it's the first of it's kind in the UK when the credit for that belongs to CoR as far as I am aware - if anyone knows of an earlier challenge event to use this format please shout up.

At the end of the day who has done what before is of little importance. I'm quite sure that in all the years that the Point to Point regulations have been in place successive organisers have brought their own unique twist to the discipline.

I prefer to concentrate on the future than dwell in the past and my inspiration, along with many of the challenge drivers who have come to the fore in recent years, comes from the success that exciting 'new' disciplines are enjoying in the US.

If this gives us the motivation to relaunch, rebrand or repackage a discipline that has not seen the light of day for a number of years, then I believe it can only be for the good of the sport.

At the end of the day who has done what before is of little importance. I'm quite sure that in all the years that the Point to Point regulations have been in place successive organisers have brought their own unique twist to the discipline.

I prefer to concentrate on the future than dwell in the past and my inspiration, along with many of the challenge drivers who have come to the fore in recent years, comes from the success that exciting 'new' disciplines are enjoying in the US.

If this gives us the motivation to relaunch, rebrand or repackage a discipline that has not seen the light of day for a number of years, then I believe it can only be for the good of the sport.

here here

To run it under an MSA permit...

In terms of regulations for the event, it can run under a standard point to point permit as these are already designed to allow teams of 2 vehicles and include provision for recovery of team members. As part of that you'll need to use a credible scrutineer, all helmets will need to be MSA stickered, roll cages and mountings MSA approved, fire extinguishers to MSA standards, cut off switches etc...

Marshals will need to be available at every point and only one team will be allowed at a point at one time, any footpaths or tracks will need to be marshalled and/or taped off to avoid head ons between teams travelling in opposite directions. You will also need one or more rescue vehicles on the site to handle/evacuate anyone who is injured (not sure if these need to be accredited rally rescue teams). You'll also need to supply a central first aid facility with eye wash (this can just be a standard H&S at work first aid kit).

Any competitor taking part will have to be a member of either the organising club or an invited club (can't remember how many clubs you can invite on a clubman's permit). They will also need to hold an MSA license suitable for the event level.

I'd definitely be interested in giving it a go BTW :) If there's one event my engine wants to take part in it's one where you get to use your right foot a lot, just need to start saving for the fuel now !

Double bugger, that blows it then.

A combination of blind scrutineers,

marshalls who played Orcs in Lord of the Rings and did not need make up,

The chief medical officer is a vet,

The organiser walks around eating the local fauna and flora,

and to top it off event control is usually manned by some obese numpty who wears poor head attire.

Add all the above to the fact that this has been done before and I would rather go and slam my **** in a door!!

Double bugger, that blows it then.

A combination of blind scrutineers,

marshalls who played Orcs in Lord of the Rings and did not need make up,

The chief medical officer is a vet,

The organiser walks around eating the local fauna and flora,

and to top it off event control is usually manned by some obese numpty who wears poor head attire.

Add all the above to the fact that this has been done before and I would rather go and slam my knob in a door!!

LOL :)

I wonder if slamming your ***** in a door counts as an eye wash facility ? It'd certainly make your eyes water...

• 3 weeks later...

count me in, although i am still in iraq, i should be back in december...i will have to build my truck first as well.

question fro you neil, if rear steer is not allowed, what if your truck has it..can we just disable it?

also, anyone got any mog axles for sale??

ta

This looks perfect! Count me in, im all for this format of event.

Whats Kirton like? Is it the sort of site that were going to be at a serious disadvantage without portals or will it be quite fast and portals be an issue? (in other words I still cant decide what axles to go for, This might help me decide).

I dont thinjk you will have problems with number of cars, You'll be turning them away!

This looks perfect! Count me in, im all for this format of event.

Whats Kirton like? Is it the sort of site that were going to be at a serious disadvantage without portals or will it be quite fast and portals be an issue? (in other words I still cant decide what axles to go for, This might help me decide).

I dont thinjk you will have problems with number of cars, You'll be turning them away!

No need for portals at Kirton for this type of event,unless we do a bit of rock racing. :ph34r:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really wish I'd forseen this at the point I started building my truck - after all 4 wheel indipendent suspension kind of lends itself to speed! The space frame would need to be cut up and start again to come close to MSA spec sadly.

In my workshop, I've got a set of RR Sport indi running gear - perhaps an indi 100" '90' would be a good next project!

I'd love to do this. Maybe not this year though!

Si

• 1 month later...

Entries are now open for the first event scheduled for 19th April.

This event is NOT open to the general public or spectators so no further details will be posted publicly.

If you are interested in receiving the regulations and entry form you need to email me at challenge(at)awdc.co.uk

I really wish I'd forseen this at the point I started building my truck - after all 4 wheel indipendent suspension kind of lends itself to speed! The space frame would need to be cut up and start again to come close to MSA spec sadly.

In my workshop, I've got a set of RR Sport indi running gear - perhaps an indi 100" '90' would be a good next project!

I'd love to do this. Maybe not this year though!

Si

100" indy defender. ;) ls7 auto......heaven.

• 4 weeks later...

BUMP!

I guess anyone interested got the e-mail from Neil today anyway...

But, come on guys... If this gets off the ground, IT'LL BE AWESOME... king Of The Hammers style event in the UK? Sounds just like what the doctor ordered!

My entry will be in the post ASAP! (as soon as my MSA licence is back)

But we are up for it 100%

Rob B)