Thief proofing defender?

sparg

Thanks everyone - plenty to think about. Itake your point about villains scouring the chat forums, though! - I should say I'm not one. Actually, I'm a psychologist, speciallising in human perception, especially auditory and spatial. So, I'm kind of interested in finding out who actually steals these. The best way to evolve a method is to be inside the brain of the would-be miscreant. I sense the hardest ones to deal with are the pros who simply use a truck and hiab, since even wheel-clamping one's own car won't stop that. in that case, isn't the tracker the best bet?

there are several things I want out of thief 'proofing' (well, you know what I mean)

1) deterrent for casual opportunist

2)deterrent for pros

3) ongoing deterrent

4) catch the thief

5) vengeance

seems like a tall order, but a multi-stage approach seems best

regards

you could dig two trenches in your drive of about 6" deep and park it in that each night, stop them getting the hiab lift under the wheels?

or have a steel framed hoop that is big enough to park under each night (could double up as a gantry as well then for lifting tackle) cannot be lifted up then because of obstruction

mechlok that locks the brakes or clutch pedal
same with the dual mecklock, you press the brake pedal and it stays pressurised, so the brakes stay on

Is it legal to use a Mecklock on the brakes?

Can I fit the Meck Lock System® to the brakes?

NO… & YES!

EU law states that: "Devices to prevent unauthorised use preventing release of the brakes of the vehicles shall not be permitted." We are therefore unable to advertise or supply the Meck Lock System® for use as a brake immobiliser.

For vengeance you could plant a small explosive device in it?

TBH if its been joyridden and found crashed in a ditch your not going to want it back anyway are you?

And if its been nicked professionally might as well give them justice! :lol:

let them go out with a bang!! :lol::P

It seems to depend on vehicle spec. I tried to activate my 10AS for CDL and still couldn't get a pulse signal out of the correct pins on unit, some have successfully done this though.

Steve

There are two types of 10AS - the part number either ends 270 or 280.

270 is base model, whereas 280 is fitted to higher spec models - it is only the 280 that has the central locking output.

Ian

removable steering wheel is a waste of time - pro thieves know about these and bring mole grips to steer with.

personally, i would make sure its alarmed to scare off the "have a go" thieves and make sure its insured properly and to its full value for the pros. my other car (Mitsubishi Evo 8MR) is a highly desirable theft, and if the pros want it, they'll take it no matter what I try to do to stop it. As said, the HIAB is the weapon of choice now, and there's no stopping them really. The other choice is that a group of them come into your house, batter you and take your keys. you wont stop that either really.

all professional thiefs carry gsm and gps blockers these days, now they only cost around 100 dollars.

A friend of mine carries one of these for other purposes. His company car is being tracked all the time by his boss.

If he stops somewhere where he isn't supposed to, he switches on his jammer a few minutes before so his boss can't see where he is and thinks there is a problem with the signal.

• 1 month later...

:unsure: I was once fixing my door (Defender td5110 99 model) and realised how easy it could be to break in to the car. Someone even told me dropping a coin could open it. A lethal weapon at hand is a liter of Acid at my window. And the car is parked right under bedroom window. :blink:

My plan is to spray right on the fellow but at times when I have been out with the guys I get too drank. Maybe a couple of pints too much and dear.. I sleep like a beaver... No hope there. Planing on a HIAB.. :angry: And that costs a fortune!!