OOOOUCHHHH !

NegevLandRover

Yep as Mo said it is unlikely to be serious, I have yet to see a 300 need more than the bits Mo listed, its just a question of how many push rods and rockers are bent/broken.

Change all the rotator caps too, as they can crack when the piston wallops the valve, and then fall into the sump later, a Tdi with about 100 thou valve clearances is a bit rattly :)

Mine snapped at 70mph and scored the piston liners and cracked the cylinder head. But as everyone else said its unlikely to do much damage.

Dave.

I am surprised at the amount of snapped cambelt incidents reported here. Why did they snap ? Were they changed within the recommended frequency ?

I change the belt on my TDi every 80 000 km (50 000 miles), and then the belt still looks brand new.

News time.

Sent the old girl upto the garage on a flat bed to where she is serviced. I have not the skills, the time nor the availability of parts. She spent the night on the front court and was pushed in when they opened (sundays here are our Mondays) this morning. This afternoon she was out and a M8 of mine ferried her home (160 kms away).

First off time to kick myself ......and then as soon as I get my breath back I'll kick the garage as we both missed the timing belt change - by about 100,000 kms as she has done about 180'000 since the last timing belt change and we normally change them at 80'000. So the 600'000 km engine (in the 760'000 km LR) actually went by TWO timing belt changes without us noticing which is a real bummer as I service her religiously.

I got off quite lightly with a new belt, tensioners, pulleys, valve rods, and tappets - rockers un damaged and on starting she runs as sweet as ever.

Moral of the story - keep your own records of services and what is due when.

Adam

Change all the rotator caps too, as they can crack when the piston wallops the valve, and then fall into the sump later, a Tdi with about 100 thou valve clearances is a bit rattly

Anyone know the p/n for these on the 200tdi as mine also went last weekend on the way home from seven sisters.

TiA.

'Bag

I am surprised at the amount of snapped cambelt incidents reported here. Why did they snap ? Were they changed within the recommended frequency ?

My timing belt snapped a couple of years ago - and yes it had been changed according to the service schedule.

what landrover dont tell you is the timing belt covers on 300tdi's are about as waterproof as a teabag and therefore the schedule is about as much use as a chocolate firegaurd if you regularly go swimming.

i had been playing and getting muddy - wading plugs installed before i started - and then drove home. I didnt bother taking the plugs out before going home, as the motor was absolutely gopping and dripping stinking cesspit mud all over the place. Half way home and the belt snaps. When the garage removed the drain plug, about 2 liters of muddy water flowed out :o

The only small mercy is the belt didnt let go whilst on site in some stinking deep mud hole.

Moral to this story is --- dont trust your drain plugs keep everything out. And if you do go wading in gritty muddy slop and notice water coming out when you remove the drain plugs - change the timing belt. Thats of course if the belt lasts long enough for you to get home...........

Update.....

The belt had done around 200,000 kms and the thing that failed was the pulley on the back of the injection pump. Have spent the last couple of days doing my homework and have found that this pulley is often the culprit in timing belt failures and should be properly checked - it may be worth changing it out at given points in time/mileage irrespective of obvious wear. The belt itself was in good nick and had the pulley not failed it would have carried on more !!!! One thing worth noting is that we do relatively little wading being a desert here so very little water gets in there.

Adam

As a pointer for others what was the failure mode and where.

Pics would be good.

Steve

Soory no pics available - can send you a picture of my bank statement pre and post belt failure or one of the bank managers wry smile if than helps ?!

From what the guy who fixed it tells me the pulley/cog on the injection pump inside the timing belt casing gave way (wore out) and caused the belt to run off center leading to a catastrophic general failure. The engine is a 300 TDI which was overhauled three years ago which is the last time the belt was changed. The belt itself still had wear in it - or would have had it not got twisted up in the wreckage within.

Adam

I've never heard of that happening - when you say Injector pump pulley, do you mean the sprocket that the timing belt runs on?

Have you actually seen the pulley/sprocket?

Les.

Yep that is what I mean - I have not seen it as yet but the guy who fixed it is reliable - reliable enough to admit that he forgot to tell me when the 80'000 kms between belt changes went by nearly three times before this happened and he could just have easily let me do all the leg work of checking past bills to find out myself - if I ever would have.

I will try and get hold of the failed part and photo it and post here - this will take a few days if I can do it at all.

Adam

• 1 month later...

Another up-date.

Finally got my hands on the failed part and I think I may have misunderstood and hence miss lead some of you. What actually failed was the bracket that holds the injection pump to the engine block causing the cog in the timing case to run off center which lead to the belt chaffing and breaking. The new brackets come with a pressure pressed bushing in them where the three screws attatch them to the engine block. The old bracket just wore through and allowed the pump to shift just ever so slightly - literally microns rather than millimeters.

Adam