2.5TD rebuild

Hi guys,

I'm planning to replace head gasket, piston rings and big end shells this weekend and was wondering if there are any pitfalls I should be looking out for, or if anybody has any helpfull hints?

It's a 2.5TD with loads of crankcase pressure which is blowing oil and water into the air filter. White fumes blow from any exposed breathers and the dip stick tube.

Any handy hints would be greatly received (yes I know I should be transplanting a Tdi but the budget wont stretch that far!)

I have done an engine swap before and other normal service bits, and was wondering how much time to allow to complete these works, bearing in mind I've not split a head before.

Many thanks,

D.

if you are looking for an 2.5td engine i have one sat waiting to go. its just come out of my 110 and is sat in southampton waiting to go up for sale. the only reason its out is we are doing a tdi conversion.

it was a great runner ;)

give me a shout of you are interested

im not looking for a huge amount. its just had a new cambelt fitted 3000 miles ago, along with an oil change and new glow plugs.

i have video of it running too ,,,,,,2 days ago ;)

i know you are a fair way up country but it might be worth the trip??

Thanks for the response guys -

Denviks - thanks for the offer, though if I'm going to swap the engine again I might aswell go for a Tdi and do it properly.

I already have a spare engine sat my garage! - that one has a bottom end knock too, could do the shells on that one I suppose and put it back in.

I also have the gasket kit, rings and shells sitting under my desk so looks like I'm commited to an oily weekend! or do Paddocks accept returns? Back to hunting flea bay if they do.

Many thanks,

D.

Use a cheapo honing tool run it slow and use plenty of thin oil.

Those cheapo honing tools with three stones are a load of rubbish - they make everything oval. Beg, borrow, or steal one of the ones with the lots of round balls on the end of wires. Use an electronic drill and run it as slow as you can, with lots of oil as above. A mix of diesel and engine oil is pretty good.

Got a bit carried away and whilst I was tidying the garage I ended up starting to strip the beast - well the spanners were out so it seemed a shame not to use them :blink:

Having removed the injectors three of them are covered in oil and one is totally clean (apart from right on the end which is clean on all four of them with a sooty deposit around the injector whole). Is this an indication of what I will find when I pull the head tomorrow? - I'd have expected to find them all the same.

Also any body know the bore diameter of the top of their heads by any chance - it would save me hunting through the book of lies ;)

D.

Oops! looks pretty bad :)

The pistons are AE, which I think are not original items, so they may have been replaced previously.

Standard size still and the top of the bore doesn't appear to be badly lipped. If that's the case, then just new piston kits, head gasket, and some RTV sealant and it's all back together and running.

Make sure your cooling system is in good order - this problem is usually caused by over heating.

Les.

Excuse me butting-in, but can someone explain the diesel engines that have been used in Land Rovers?

This thread is a 2.5TD, presumably turbo diesel, the same capacity as 200 & 300 TDi but not as good as 200 TDi?

Now if the thread was V8............................

;)

Excuse me butting-in, but can someone explain the diesel engines that have been used in Land Rovers?

This thread is a 2.5TD, presumably turbo diesel, the same capacity as 200 & 300 TDi but not as good as 200 TDi?

Now if the thread was V8............................

;)

Yes, all 2.5 diesels are 2495cc, the earlier diesel engines are 2.25 sometimes refered to as a 2.3 & before those the 2.0litre diesel,

most of these can trace their liniage back to the 2.0litre diesel engine, the tdi block is very similar to the 2.5n/a & 2.5TD blocks.

Yes, all 2.5 diesels are 2495cc, the earlier diesel engines are 2.25 sometimes refered to as a 2.3 & before those the 2.0litre diesel,

most of these can trace their liniage back to the 2.0litre diesel engine, the tdi block is very similar to the 2.5n/a & 2.5TD blocks.

So whats the big difference between a 2.5TD and 200 TDi and why leave out the 'i' on the 2.5TD?

Presumably the 200 TDi was the first Diesel to be used on RR or Disco 1 apart from the diesel used in RR late 80's which I have forgotten the engine name and wasn't a LR unit anyway?