3 bolt, 4 bolt, 6 bolt????

smo

I was looking at this on mine recently, ive got a 4 bolt that I want to fit inplace of my 3bolt. The mounting is the same but Im not sure about the pipe connections. The uj is different from 3 to 4bolt, so will need the latter. IIRC the splines & diameter are the same regardless of column age.

Adrian

One issue with the 3-bolt is that it shuttles from assisting one-way to assisting the other way so it seems to hydraulically "jam up" slightly if you saw at the wheel. I didn't like that, so went for a 4-bolt when my 3-bolt died... I think I needed new hoses too.

Do you mean if you flick the steering one way quickly then the other it responds slowly / lazily? mine (3-bolt) has always done that, i just thought it was a normal LR thing :lol:

doesn't the 3 bolt use imperial threads where the 4 and 6 use metric and can be swapped without having to get custome hoses made up (you will need metric one end and imperial the other if you do a 3 to 4 bolt swap).

I am running a 6 bolt without much issue but I can see reciepts for 3 replacement boxes in the paperwork I got with my landy which does seem to suggest they aren't that tough

• 2 months later...

Can someone confirm that you can swap a 6 bolt for a 4 bolt without changing anything to the hoses? What about the drop arm?

I have a 110 200Tdi (1991) defender and my 6bolt box is seriously leaking. I wanted to replace it together with the PAS pump but apparantly it became more dificult to find a 6 bolt box.

I know the 4 bolt box is stronger than the 6 bolt box.

For the 200Tdi there are 2 PAS pumps depending on the engin no. What's the difference?

connections at the pump

But at the box they are all the same? (And also the same as a 4 bolt box?)

but what ever connections you have at the box/on your hoses a good hydraulic hose supplier will have adapters that'll get you out of trouble , try a local agri spares place that deals with tractors/loaders etc

Could be a problem here, I wouldn't count on that...

What about the drop arm? I'll have to use the drop arm of a 4 bolt box?

3 Bolt have different threads on the unions. 4 and 6 are interchangeable.

So I can change my 6 bolt box for a 4 bolt box. It's just a bolt off, bolt on swap then? So I get a 4 bolt box with drop arm and the piping will fit?

I've searched the whole internet for an answer but I never found one who told that it's possible... :(

They are quick !

Thank you for your email. The mountings and pipe fitting from your 6 bolt

gemmer gear are the same as our (68200DS) 4 bolt steering gear and so will

fit straight on.

We can supply you with a re-manufactured (NOT re-con) steering gear for

£205.51 + £58.75 surcharge (refunded when you send your old gear back) +

£17.25 P+P all incl of VAT. The gear comes with a full 12 month warranty and

brand new droparm and ball joint.

I supose this will work.

anyone know what size the nut is on the drop arm of the 4 bolt box? its bit bigger than 32mm i recon 34mm Im going to have to make a trip to halfords dont want to buy the wrong size.

My 6 bolt nut is 34, I guess a 4 bolt is the same... Don't shoot my if I'm wrong :unsure: