Kin DVD Copying problems

Hybrid_From_Hell

HELP !

I recently swapped my CD rom and CD RW for a DVD ROM and DVD RW

Now the fun has started.

I bought them they came with no software, connected them up and windows XO loaded the drivers.

They both read and play, but heres the problem.

I Have tried Nero 7 DVD Software, it will NOT copy a DVD its says "error Copying" and hangs

I have tried U Lead DVD Facrtoey - same problem, just hangs when it seems all is going ok.

Any ideas, this is doing my head in.

I have even tried copying a simple word document to a DVD RW, it won't with Nero making a Data disk.

or even using XP software :blink:

Any ideas please before I give my PC Flying lessons ?

Are DVD RWs generally iffy for copywork ?

Nige

HELP !

I recently swapped my CD rom and CD RW for a DVD ROM and DVD RW

Now the fun has started.

I bought them they came with no software, connected them up and windows XO loaded the drivers.

They both read and play, but heres the problem.

I Have tried Nero 7 DVD Software, it will NOT copy a DVD its says "error Copying" and hangs

I have tried U Lead DVD Facrtoey - same problem, just hangs when it seems all is going ok.

Any ideas, this is doing my head in.

I have even tried copying a simple word document to a DVD RW, it won't with Nero making a Data disk.

or even using XP software :blink:

Any ideas please before I give my PC Flying lessons ?

Are DVD RWs generally iffy for copywork ?

Nige

Google for "Mac The Ripper".. works first time, every time, no problems.

Oh, but of course, you need to get a proper computer to use it.

Here are a couple of links that might help explain your problems.

DVD copying issues could be either copy protection on the source DVD, or the DVD is larger that the destination DVD, see here:-

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/5540

Your problem with copying files to a DVD RW could be the wrong DVD format for your drive, see here:-

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardwa...tsExplained.asp

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but I thought I'd start with the basic stuff first. Unfortunately, burning DVDs is not quite as straightforward as burning CDs.

Hope this helps,

Ok,

Much beer, and work.........

Uninstalled Nero, seems to be having a complete hissy fit :(:angry:

My Windows XO "Click on file and send to CDRW" type link works, but now won't copy, ballon comes up saying "Files to copy" when I then follow the route it just plains fails :angry:

But.

Ulead DVDDVD Movie Factory, now lets me

Copy a simple data file to CD or DVD

Copy a music CD to a CD

But I have a DVD I am trying to copy and still no go.

I have dropped the speed to 2x on a DVD RW

Had a look at the DVD I am trying to copy, its not copyrighted but WTF are "VOB" files ????

Fridge,

The software you mention is it freebie ?

Nige

Had enough of Piggin PCs for 1 day thank you very much, but it is now "Sort of working" ish :angry:

Nige

Nige

What drivers are you using? Are they the "standard" ones installed by XP when you first turned it on after fitting the DVD? If so then try downloading the correct drivers from the DVD drive manufacturers website, unistall the DVD drive and re-install with the correct drivers. This will give you the best possible chance IMHO.

Chris

Make sure you are using the right media

DVD-R is not the same as DVD+R

DVD-RAM is different to DVD-RW ISTR too.

Use the info tool supplied with Nero to find out what your drive will actually read and write.

My current favourite is TDK DVD-R - available in packs of 25 from HMV etc for a tenner. There are cheaper, but that media is 90% reliable for me.

Echo MogLite, make sure you have correct format discs, +R or -R for the rewriter.

NB: DVDshrink needs Nero to burn. (full licence code for Nero too, IIRC)

Another (free) program to back up DVD discs is '1 Click DVD Copy' but is quite limited and you will need a program called 'DVD 4 3' to remove the encryption. Perfect for backing up you own DVD collection. Personally find DVDShrink much better.

If you are copying from disc to disc, you need to have both drives on seperate ide cables, so the dvd rom on the same cable as your hdd ( primary ide cable, unless using sata cable ) and the dvd rw on the secondary ide cable. Can recomend dvd shrink, i found most copying errors are re clycic redundancy errors, meaning it is having trouble reading the disc.

Hangover - the bit about IDE cables isn't really true these days with Buffer Under-run protection on drives, and I've found it's almost as fast to let the software copy it to HDD before burning back to the other drive.

True, but if you are copying a copy from drive to drive it can cause reading errors, most copying will be done to hdd first as you said for shrinking or decrypting.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr DVD Decrypter is no longer available as free download

Nige

Nige, DVD Decrypt has changed owners. Due to that, it has a new name "Imgburn".

Image Burn can be downloaded here

Still free, basically, the same program...... :D

Todd.