emergency number

bobtail4x4

This is a standard procedure all paramedics follow at the scene of an accident when they come across your mobile phone.

ICE - 'In Case of Emergency'

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these

numbers belong to our closest family or friends.

If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know

who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence the 'ICE'

(In Case of Emergency) Campaign.

The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell(mobile)phones are

carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be

contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency).

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with

patients, but they didn't know which number to call.. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally

recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly

contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as 'ICE.'

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc.

A great idea that will make a difference!

Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our Mobile phones today!

Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this . It really could save your life, or

put a loved one's mind at rest .

ICE will speak for you when you are not able to.

thankfully never had to have it used!

I think this would be a prudent point in the proceedings to add a little note about calling for the emergency services on a mobile phone

USE 112

112 uses every signal mast around you regardless of network operator. It provides the operator with your identity and a triangulated position of reasonably high accuracy!

any information you can then relay such as meeting points, access, vehicles on site, making the site obvious etc, is then extra helpful information to them, they already have enough to mobilise straight away.

112 saves time and saves lives

I too have heard of this concept for quite a while, but an occasional repeat mention is worthwhile, as there are always 'newbies' coming along.

My concern about this revolves around what happens when the phone is in the possession of someone else, not a paramedic or other 'Good Samaritan', but someone with no regard for you, or your nearest and dearest.

(Can't help but think of two BBC radio presenters at this time. Other negative people do exist.).

The phone owner has highlighted the people most vulnerable to receiving negative news about them.

This could be in the form of an abusive call, or a more sophisticated caller who is aiming to establish if the called person is local, and can 'come to the scene', leaving the home address open for entry.

Similar to posting your home address in clear view on holiday luggage, or in the case of certain high profile footballers, leaving no-one at home when you play.

Another parallel is putting 'Home' in a free standing Navigation system. A thief knows where the system was, and therefore your vicinity. There's a possibility he can reach your home before you can.

Lastly, in practical terms, what good is it?

There are other methods of saying if you have special medical needs, are allergic to penicillin, subject to diabetic attacks, etc. Methods which are probably more reliable than someone being at the number you have given, and being able to react coherently when faced with a strong personal shock.

Personally I'd rather the Good Samaritan deal with the injured party, and the nearest and dearest remain in ignorance until the situation is stabilised. IE It's known which hospital is dealing, not we are doing our best but we shall be moving in 20 minutes.

The original post is a standard boiler plate text on this subject.

I'd be interested in first person accounts of where this ICE facility has helped, or not helped. They might act against the concerns I've just posted.

I am NOT saying this facility should not be used, the example of working alone is a good one, where the ICE person may well be a work colleague. However, I am highlighting some concerns that I think helpful to the user if these are considered before invoking ICE, and before selecting who the ICE contacts are.

I do recognise that while this social discussion does have a relevance to the sort of activities LR users get up to, the topic is not 'LR Technical', so could be considered outside the terms of reference for this forum.

In that context, if the topic gets prolific, especially with non-constructive or un-reasoned responses, I won't complain if the topic is stopped as soon as it goes into Page 2 (say).

Cheers.

A bit of rumour control, from a paramedic:

Contrary to the opening post, it's not standard procedure for ambulance staff to access next of kin contact numbers from mobile phones. It's quite rare that there is actually the need, and ambulance crews would rarely call the emeregncy contact to the scene (just like David Sarkes said) and it is generally best left to the police or hospital staff. BUT it is a sound idea, and I'd encourage people to do something like it just in case. But think to yourself, what do I have with me all the time? It might be a wallet, or a watch or a handbag. You might find that it is better to carry a card in your wallet than add this info to your mobile. Or you might go for both! Don't tattoo your partner's name on your chest. That's not medical advice, just taste.

112 uses every signal mast around you regardless of network operator. It provides the operator with your identity and a triangulated position of reasonably high accuracy!

112 is no different to 999.

Some ambulance services do run a system using CLI (Caller Line Identification) where details about the caller and the number are automatically identified as the phone rings. However, triangulation is not routinely used. It probably has a place in rural and semi-rural areas, but the technology isn't quite as honed as the providers suggest - though somehow it seems to work for the AA/RAC!

Where CLI comes into its own is when you use a land line. The address attached to that landline number will automatically enter the ambulance computer dispatch system and the nearest ambulance can be deployed before the phone is even answered (although 95% of calls should be answered in 5 seconds, it can sometimes take minutes for the location to be relayed.) Consequently, whenever possible DIAL 999 FROM A LAND LINE, not a mobile phone.

Cheers

Blippie

Triangulation is not required on a digital system such as GSM ………… the cell sizes are quite small and is all done by RSSI and indicated received antenna sector. However some areas are fraught with difficulty as somebody on the North Devon /Somerset coast would appear to be in South Wales…………but that would also be true if triangulated from the received antenna sectors. ………. ;)

The emergency services use EISEC - Enhanced Information Service for Emergency Services. If a call comes from a landline, it will give the operator the address of the phone and the subscriber details if it is residential, if the call is from a mobile they get the service provider (3, Vodafone, etc) and the co-ordinates of the mast that is picking up the call.

As one who used to work in a police control room answering 999 calls, I would ask people, especially us Land Rover owners who may be off green-laning, to try and keep a track of where you are. It can make a big difference to being able to find you or running around like headless chickens. Even if it the last village you went through and a general direction, or the last junction on the motorway you went through and which way you're headed, that would make a huge difference - especially if there is life at risk.

A handy tip if you are using a number that is already on your phone that is saved under another name. Rather than having ICE pop up each time as caller ID, if you put a star at the end of the number that is saved as your emergency contact it will show the original name of the number rather that "ICE"