Tyre deflators, which one?

Tris Cocks

I have the stauns too, and as above they are very good. If you feel that you are going to be airing down to different pressures then go for the ARB, if not then the stauns are easier.

If you have on board air, then you could buy a Teng race air inflator which has a guage and release valve like the ARB built in. Then you have both options.

Steve

My take on this is "Keep it Simple".

I have tried several types of automatic deflators and none of them seem consistant and none of them are easily adjustable if you want a different pressure. Some you even need different sets for different pressure ranges.

I prefer Sun Performance Quick Air Deflators, quick and easy to use and you can do all four tyres at once, just dont stop for a chat or all four will be flat.

post-134-1228213101_thumb.jpg

post-134-1228213130_thumb.jpg

I have Stauns. They have always worked consistently and accurately for me. Interesting to hear of problems. Aledgedly, scrapiron copied the design and started selling them whilst still advertising Stauns. The troublesome ones weren't copies were they?

Regards,

Diff

For convieniance...the Stauns get the vote but they are prone to sticking and need adjusting from time to time.

For accuracy and consistancy.....the ARB Ez-deflator is good, but it is slow because only one wheel can be deflated at a time.

For reliablility...the simple Screw on Sun Performance type that Roger has pictured above but remember to keep an eye on them or you risk four flats tyres.

Removing the valve and using an air pressure guage is not a good idea. Disturbing the valve increases the risk of damaging it and getting a slow flat. Taking it out also increases the risk of you losing it!

it seems a good idea for us - TBH we have never encountered a problem doing it that way, a steel cap with a core tool is capable of sealing the valve stem even if the core is missing - when you air down put the cores in your mouth, that way when you refit them they are always nice and clean and you wont loose them :)

really must get the CTIS fitted for next year :ph34r:

I have Stauns ('cos I got them for free :D )

and they work ok.

But for those who want another alternative have a look here

Trailhead

Apart from the bling colour they they are adjustable via an hidden screw with a 5/32” allen wrench (included)

and not with external ring as the Stauns.

fullkit_web.jpg

I hope it helps.

Spec for my ideal pressure control system...

A digital gauge where I can enter the desired pressure, simple up/down buttons from the last setting you used.

An air hose from the unit that clips on to the valve stem. The unit would be permanently plumbed into the on board air.

The system automatically adjusts the pressure by either inflating or deflating the tyre to the entered pressure and maybe bleeps at you when it's done so you can stop chatting and move the hose to the next tyre.

For my vehicle a single air line would be fine as I use flush valves so can only do one tyre at a time anyway, well, two if I use the emergency spare stem.

The deluxe version of the above has 4 outlets and the desired pressure can be set for the outlets in pairs (front and rear) as I normally run more pressure in my front tyres. Optionally you could extend each outlet to the bodywork near each wheel and have 4 short quick connect hoses. This system will deflate all 4 tyres at a time if applicable and will inflate one tyre at a time choosing the one with the biggest differential first.

The single version would cost me around 50 quid in parts, the 4 port version around 120 quid (the solenoid valves are expensive).

Anyone fancy making some ? - it'll be months before i can even think about turning the plans into reality :)

IIRC Some Unimogs are fitted with a tyre inflation/deflation system that can be operated from inside whilst the vehicle is driving along!

most protos and Tr3 do as well, ours is still in a collection of boxes in the lab, 3 preset buttons - no slowing down :)

most protos and Tr3 do as well, ours is still in a collection of boxes in the lab, 3 preset buttons - no slowing down :)

Most of them were removed a few years back when the rules changed IIRC. Under current MSA regs you can't run them on any vehicle in any area of motorsport and I think that reflects FIA rules as I remember them being removed from the Paris-Dakar too.

I think they were removed due to current reg C 15

• The fitment and/or use of pressure control valves

to wheels and/or tyres is not permitted.

Which is why my "vapourware" design has 4 short removable pipes :)

Maybe they could be used if you argued that the valves weren't actually fitted to the wheels or tyres but I assume if works teams couldn't find a way around it us mere mortals have got no chance !

Most of them were removed a few years back when the rules changed IIRC. Under current MSA regs you can't run them on any vehicle in any area of motorsport and I think that reflects FIA rules as I remember them being removed from the Paris-Dakar too.

The only exceptions being T4 trucks and 2wd buggies (Saluki III) which still uses them. There used to be a T3 prototype catagory that allowed CTIS but that got ditched a few years ago when the FIA combined the T3's into the T1 catagory.

We were looking at getting CTIS fitted to our T4 Unimog...but the price didn't justify the need.

There some cheaper systems on the market these days (a French one springs to mind) but because of MSA and FIA regs they would only be for recreational use and are generally classed as a gimmick.

We were late arriving for the special stage start once in the Mog....so we put the Stauns on the wheels to save deflating time and drove the first few KM's with them on...deflating as we drove :P

Tris, ez deflator for me as you know. Thought you had used mine :unsure: Think the cap style deflators are a recipe for disaster if they were on my truck. Guaranteed to forgat about them. With the ez deflator you can do the whole truck in a few minutes & the accuracy is superb. Could always buy yourself a box of matches or find youreslf a twig if the others prove to costly :lol: