Land rover branded mobile phones

daveturnbull

They don't guarantee it is waterproof though, which is why I didn't buy one, too expensive for a "might be ok"!

Seems odd that plenty of people can make a radio or a GPS which is IPX7 rated to use on a boat, but not a mobile phone... mind you I suppose there is no money in doing away with the most common cause of phone failure!

"Land Rover and Sonim share a brand spirit: products fit for purpose. The Land Rover phones will be submersible, Bluetooth-compliant and certified to withstand salt, fog, humidity, transport and thermal shock and a 1.6-metre drop to concrete from any angle." - Taken from the article on the next page

I wonder how it compares to the Casio G Zone phone? I would genuinely like a phone that takes a kicking :)

"certified to withstand salt, fog, humidity, transport and thermal shock and a 1.6-metre drop to concrete from any angle."

No mention of Slab common oil-soaked-sandy-grinding-paste or Sidbury Hill chalky-clay-clag. Or even general workshop grinding dust and weld splatter.

If only they'd done their research into what people actually wanted...

it reminds me of a std phone which has had some bizzarre rubbery bits stuck to the side of it - all looks a bit odd to me tbh - plus i have this vision of having it in your jacket/overall/trouser pocket - it ringing, and your not being able to get it out quick enough because all those rubber fins are catching on the way out of your pockets - which means you miss the call - and end up having to call them back (I know - I DO squeak when I walk - tight as a ducks ***)

Don't know if the Land Rover version is going to be better but the standard XP1 is only IP54 rated which is "protected against dust, limited ingress permitted, no harmful deposits" and "protection against water sprayed from all directions, limited ingress permitted". Limited ingress into a mobile phone is usually not good though my old Nokia has been submerged in salt water and after a couple of minutes under the cold tap and a night on top of the hot water cylinder it is still working :)

If it is submersible I'll be very interested :)

Mine will be a proper MANS PHONE though ;)

My brother in law has one of those, he's a landscaping contarctor and reckons it's very good, had it six months (the life expectancy of his phones usually) and it's still good. I think the default ringtone is the rattle of a JCB diesel :blink:

it made by the same people as the JCB one.. if it anythink like that one...

it rubbish.. as the jcb one is..

The question about whether it is rubbish would seem to be a subjective one. I know a guy who has a JCB phone and adores it - in particular it's simplicity and, as a function of that, battery life. If you need to compensate for other 'short' comings by having the latest gizmo laden, camera, lazer, super PDA, touchscreen, smartphone then the JCB is probably not for you.

Chris