brakes

suveer

hi all,

i am sure the very knowledgable members of this forum will be able to assist me with the following two queries:

1. why does the front right wheel brake on me series 3 109 lock when the brakes is applied. It does not gently brake but rather grabs quite viciously. I have checked the linings and they are fitted correctly. There is an adjuster nut on the backing plate which pushes the shoe away from the backing plate. Does this need to be positioned properly perhaps?

2. when my series 3 ist ravelling uphill laden, approx 500-750kg and and when the brake is depressed, the wheels start binding. The brakes does not release. i vitually have to reverse to release it slightly.

I dont know if any forum member has experienced this before.

any help wil be appreciated.

thanks

It sounds like the springs aren't connected in the right order. Or the cilinder is on it's way out with rust in the lining which prevents a supple movement of the cilinder. If you brake without the drum on it and watch it closely you should be able to spot problems with the cilinder.

With the manual nearby you should be able to check the spring layout.

Regards

Bowy

Its worth making sure that the ends of the linings have been bevelled. This prevents the leading edge grabbing the drum and pulling the shoe into contact with it.

You can cut the leading edge with a sharp implement - I use an old and regularly sharpened wood chisel and if necessary will do the shoes in situ.

Its worth making sure that the ends of the linings have been bevelled. This prevents the leading edge grabbing the drum and pulling the shoe into contact with it.

You can cut the leading edge with a sharp implement - I use an old and regularly sharpened wood chisel and if necessary will do the shoes in situ.

thanks guys will start the checks, but i know the linings are bevelled at the edge. Will check for rust in the cylinder though.

any ideas on why the brakes bind when the landy is laden. Most notable uphill.

cheers

You may well have a leaky wheelbearing, causing greasy shoes. I have had both symptons happening as a result.

Daan, thanks. but no grease at all on the shoes. All are perfectly dry. what i cant understand is that only when laden, the brakes bind.

thanks

It might be the shoes not pulling back from the drum when pressure is released from the wheel cylinders. Check for correct fitment of the pull off springs to the brake shoes. Also, are the pull off springs effective? They may be stretched or worn from use.

This can also have an impact on how the brakes come on.

It might be the shoes not pulling back from the drum when pressure is released from the wheel cylinders. Check for correct fitment of the pull off springs to the brake shoes. Also, are the pull off springs effective? They may be stretched or worn from use.

This can also have an impact on how the brakes come on.

ok, i'll check. any idea where i can see a diagram for the correct fitment of the springs. But then again, only when laden. Mystery!!!

Your first post reports the front wheel binding, but the later post reports it as a rear brake binding. can you clarify which it is, and what vehicle and brake system you have (88 or 109, 10" brakes or 11", dual circuit or single, etc...).

For what it's worth, if it's only happening when the vehicle is carrying a load, it could be a failing flexible hose that is blocking the return flow when the suspension is squatting slightly, or a failing wheel bearing that is seizing under the increased weight.

Your first post reports the front wheel binding, but the later post reports it as a rear brake binding. can you clarify which it is, and what vehicle and brake system you have (88 or 109, 10" brakes or 11", dual circuit or single, etc...).

For what it's worth, if it's only happening when the vehicle is carrying a load, it could be a failing flexible hose that is blocking the return flow when the suspension is squatting slightly, or a failing wheel bearing that is seizing under the increased weight.

snagger, sorry if i didn'y come across clearly. The landy is a series 3 pick up, LWB 109. it has 11 inch brake shoes in the front. It has a servo. Dual circuit??? i am not sure what this is. How will i know. But to the best of my knowledge there is no fancy valves etc on the brake lines.

Basically there are two seperate issues:

1. during normal driving, when i press the brake, the right front wheel locks. Basically it does not gently stop. eg if i am travelling on a dry dirt road, the wheel will drag when i press the brake no matter how gently i press the pedal.

2. when the landy is laden, and on an incline, the back brakes bind when pressed. I virtually have to reverse to free the brake, otherwise i wont be able to continue uphill.

With regard to failing bearing, these have been renewed recently. Hose failure, how do i test? Will it not be the servo adjustment.

i hope this gives some insight as to my woes.

thanks for all the responses so far guys. i am isolating them one by one.

after checking all the pointers given by the knowledable people on this forum, my front right brake is still locking. It has become quite annoying as in wet weather it goes like a sledge. I dont know if the nut on the backing plate has something to do with this. The one that pushes the lining away from the backing plate.? ( not brake adjuster nut)

after checking all the pointers given by the knowledable people on this forum, my front right brake is still locking. It has become quite annoying as in wet weather it goes like a sledge. I dont know if the nut on the backing plate has something to do with this. The one that pushes the lining away from the backing plate.? ( not brake adjuster nut)

Is the front left working?

Not sure about your front brake locking but you also say your rear ones are binding and you can tell which it is by the noise. I found when my brakes where binding (after fitting britpart shoes - which later got thrown away) that the drums got very hot, have a feel round and you should be able to tell if it's one or both which are binding from the heat generated. If they aren't getting hot then I would suspect the wheel bearing.

As Snagger suggests though the flexi hoses could be causing a blockage when the suspension moves down, they are cheap and not too hard to replace (if the connectors haven't corroded)

But it sounds like you're best not to drive it until you get it fixed