Picture required - Defender military bonnet catches

FridgeFreezer

I'm hoping the pair for sale in the classifieds will sort the rubbish bonnet pins on my 109, but I don't know exactly what a proper Defender bonnet catch looks like and google is no help - anyone got a photo or illustration?

Not sure if this is any help but if you click on the photo for the large version you can see them on mine - if you want something a bit clearer you'll have to wait until it's light :)

normal_23rd_257.jpg

They are sprung loaded and hook onto a plate on the wing. Never had any problems with mine. They are also useful for holding the front of the bonnet net !

Excellent, ta! That's what I thought they were, just wanted to be sure before raiding the PayPal account ;)

The same as series ones then, I took mine off in exchange for home made bonnet pins. Didn't think they were that fantastic, I have two different types here. One type is ready for the bin unless I can make a catch for my split rear door...

• 4 weeks later...

hopethat helps but late sorry

I bought some similar ones from an american cat that is meant for a jeep. This will go on my lightweight.

I was considering some really sweet rally type that flush fit on to the bonnet for my disco.

Cheers.

I was considering some really sweet rally type that flush fit on to the bonnet for my disco.

Don't, they're rubbish.

I've now bought the MOD type ones (not fitted yet though, and not going to in this weather!) and they are what's been posted above.

Are you referring to Areocatches? Something like this i was thinking off. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Yes I am, and they really are not designed with dirt ingress in mind. They stick/jam when muddy or gritty, hold dirt inside the body, and are a total PITFA generally. Stick with normal pins / latches / catches / straps / bungee / duck tape.

MoD ones are truly great... Especially when snow melts and gets into them and then freezes. :rolleyes: Other vehicles with these latches have them mounted the other way around - no problems.

The way they are mounted on a Land Rover at least keeps them away from getting clamped between bonnet and fender.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...