Military Range Rovers.

kingdong2

Hi guys

i am normaly on the series section but today i saw a rangr rover on the back of a recovery truck which looked like it had been painted to look military and then got thinking about the billing shows as you tend to see them there on the military club stands and would like to know what were they used for and when were they used ?

graham.

RAF & RN used the 6 wheel fire engines, RN also had some RR crash/rescue ambulances at their various airfield, SAS used to have RR 2 & 4 door vehicles I used to see these coming in/out of Lyneham airfield at very wierd times of day when they had been on a job somewhere by Herc transport aircraft.

RAF & RN used the 6 wheel fire engines, RN also had some RR crash/rescue ambulances at their various airfield, SAS used to have RR 2 & 4 door vehicles I used to see these coming in/out of Lyneham airfield at very wierd times of day when they had been on a job somewhere by Herc transport aircraft.

There is a article about these cars in the Land Rover Owner International January Issue. They were used by the SAS or something

when you say military, do you mean by ground troops as opposed to MOD top brass?

as already said, SAS used them along with discos, but mainly as what is called white fleet as day to day vehicles to and from Lynham along with other places, but I dont recal or even seen a rangerover on an operational tour on the front line, doesn`t mean they werent used in the rear though

One of the mags ran an article on an SAS Range Rover a while back. One of the forum members used to own one. 3.9 manual with various mounting points added for kit such as access platforms over the bonnet etc. They also had a covert lighting fitted - blue lights behind the grille etc and (I think) discreetly armoured. They would have been used for things like hostage situations, aircraft access etc etc.

On an aside, James Taylor's book on the Range Rover had some pics of green fleet militarised Range Rovers - including a carawagen type conversion for use as a comms vehicle. I'm pretty sure than Land Rover also did at least one demonstrator vehicle which was around at the time of the launch of the vehicle back in the early 70's.

There were also a number of discreetly armoured vehicles around - not necessarily used by the military - I know that the Met Police used them for close protection duties and such like. They were distinctive in that they had steel wheels and double rear doors instead of the standard tailgate. I'm sure I've seen pics of similar vehicles in use somewhere like the Balkan conflict a few years ago too...

Matt

They were used in Kosovo for top brass and were painted in black and green some found there way to units for general run a rounds, also i think even though it was before my time some were used in the first gulf war. Also on another note the unit i am with use Discovery 300tdi ;)

iforrr.jpg

Pux is right enough with the GW1 bit - I saw one over there in green/black. It was while 7 Armd were there, but before 4 armd tipped up so prolly Oct-early dec 90? It was down in Aljubial Port, Saudi and then I saw it again but by Whadi-Al-Batin on a concentration Ex later after 4 Armd had turned up. It was still green/black.

Prolly a staff officer run-about or 'Op Cygnet'............

Slightly off-topic but very related.......

I've got an AESP for a Discovery in the attic!

Now I had a 200TDi Disco as my company car in NI in the early 90's, but it was a 'white fleet' i.e. more or less a rental - kept for 3 years then sold on, but as there were so many different types they were never taken on fully and AESPs written for them.

So, the question is, how come I have a Disco AESP - I never came across any fully military Discos in my (just recently finished) 23 years in the Army, so where were they?

Any ideas anyone?

Like these ones -

post-148-1232105985_thumb.jpg

there was a black one of these that a mate in Cornwall owned about 3 years ago

its was decidedly NOT discreetlyt armoured- stood out a mile away and handled like a complete pig- any corners needed serious consideration.

It had some very odd fixings- we decided the external ones wre for moutning ladders to get into windows/trains/planes etc etc. Little opening flaps were clearly for returning fire and the boxes bolted down were clearly arms safes.

Pretty sure this topic cmae up a few years ago on here and someone had looked at buying such a range rover, when A.N.Other government agency decided that actually these vehicles REALLY shouldn't be sold to the public!

Slightly off-topic but very related.......

I've got an AESP for a Discovery in the attic!

Now I had a 200TDi Disco as my company car in NI in the early 90's, but it was a 'white fleet' i.e. more or less a rental - kept for 3 years then sold on, but as there were so many different types they were never taken on fully and AESPs written for them.

So, the question is, how come I have a Disco AESP - I never came across any fully military Discos in my (just recently finished) 23 years in the Army, so where were they?

Any ideas anyone?

We have two discoverys in our fleet and were bought from new and these are L regs ;)

there still loads in service by different units including rr sports but now most get sold on to the security companys working in afghan and iraq by the time they finished there scraped life spanof about 6-7 years there was loads cutting around the camp in afghan battle scarred and busted up and not very old :( they were all painted the standered desert yellow

• 1 year later...

There was very heavily armoured range rover classic when i visited Sarajevo with my boss and he was using 2 300 tdi soft skinned discos when we was out there in 95/96-the R/R belonged to commander of ARRC a british general if i remember, the disco's were painted in nato green and black as per U.K. 110's etc

Funny enough i just cut up a Range rover lse that was L reg and full armour in white -

had a RPI engine with 110 axles and wolf wheels, full weight was just under 3 ton

I was told it was used by SAS ? looked the same as any other R/R until you got close

there's a black disco in the yard where i bought it - the same full armour