Tray back or tub

jules

Thats a 110 I'm not too keen to go longer I know racers have for years with bowlers being 106-7 and the desart worrior being 111 but I'm not racing the truck I am keen to find out why the increase in lenth is felt nesessary as the 100 inch is suppose to be the optimum but mainly for racing as any less is simply unstable at speed and can cart wheele which I have experiance twice at speed in a 88" racer.

why go from 90 to 95 or up to 100(with portals I could see this being needed but as I trashed the truck my portal budget is no longer avalible.)

Thanks guy's now I'm raely confused.

Agreed, but its the best I've seen yet. Just imagine it shorter :D

Thats a 110 I'm not too keen to go longer I know racers have for years with bowlers being 106-7 and the desart worrior being 111 but I'm not racing the truck I am keen to find out why the increase in lenth is felt nesessary as the 100 inch is suppose to be the optimum but mainly for racing as any less is simply unstable at speed and can cart wheele which I have experiance twice at speed in a 88" racer.

why go from 90 to 95 or up to 100(with portals I could see this being needed but as I trashed the truck my portal budget is no longer avalible.)

Thanks guy's now I'm raely confused.

For someone who's just had the sort of roll you've just had I would have thought you'd be contemplating going longer

For someone who's just had the sort of roll you've just had I would have thought you'd be contemplating going longer

Everyone is saying it was a hard roll it was nothing to what I have been through before in the old 88" racer

I am thinking on it as this thread unfolds I don't like the idea of increasing the brake over angle as well

I'm not saying it wouldn't have flipped with a 100" but longer wheel base vehicles do seem to be more stable and less likely to flip on very steep accents and decents. Although they do have drawbacks, the main one being breakover angle. When I had Alf I used to find the 88" was an advantage in some situations and a drawback in others. I think either 93" or 100" are a good compromise for challenge type events. With a bit of lift and 35" tyres the breakover on a 100" isn't really that bad.

:lol::lol:

How do you get on with the storage in the back of your truck what do you carry

(I posted that is cool as XXXX on the Member truck forum for the orange RV)

Storage is a bit of an issue although there is a large area behind the seats, stuff in constant use whilst off-roading lives in the spare wheel under a net, this also allows the winch rope to be tucked under.

land-rover-pics-036.jpg

Every thing on that truck is nicely done, I have not seen Ian for years he and his mates from Chichester 4x4 have some very good trucks and all know exactly how to use them.

Last time I spoke to them which must be well over two years ago they were very unkeen on the 35" tyres

i have co driben with martin leiws and his tray back and i think its the way to go his is 100" hybrid with nothing over speacil in the parts fitted and i wouldnt bet against it on tough ss though trees it comes into a world of its own tray it its the way forward

Anyone able to link to some pics of Martin's truck?

Traybacks are very popular in comps here and have many advantages over full bodied trucks.

I don't know if you could achieve a good looking trayback 90 though.

I've seen good and bad trayback conversions on rangies and discos.

Traybacks were optional on rovers here until recently when Rover dropped them in another of their succesful moves to boost Nissan and Toyota sales.

That truck (Frankenrover) of Bill's started life as a v8 90 defender. Now has a 110 chassis and 300Tdi (and it is not a trayback).

Longer wheelbase is a definite advantage in steep climbs (and decents).

The rangie that I mostly use for long trips, will soon be converted to trayback because it allows a much better layout for the gear I carry, improved departure angle, cooler in the back (without all of the glass)...

I think the tray back will win all I need to do is come up with a good design that works for me and my short co-driver

I'm trying to do that at the moment. It'll be a lot easier with a vehicle in peices.

I'll be interested to see how yours goes. I'm itching to get going on mine but I don't really have the time to do it at the moment... :(

Good man Jules. Come up with a really good design then we can all copy you :D

:lol::lol:

Don't hold your breath :unsure:

All I need to do now is talk to Jim about winchs :rolleyes:

Chassis is sorted 90 still I'm not convinced in the UK going bigger is wise. :huh:

Charge systems of some sort :blink:

and work out how I'm going to pay for all this :o

Just get a disc cutter cut the back off then go in the house and start drawing,I looked at a tray when i bobed mine first time but changed me mind version 3 still unsure about tray so went for what you see a bit of bent tube stronger than rangie panels fingers crossed, not as mad as rouge vouge I'm not tall enough to get in.

I think the tray back will win all I need to do is come up with a good design that works for me and my short co-driver

cool Chris going to co drive for you then.always up for weight saving :lol: . All you have to do is get him out of that Mitishbushy clothing and you will be set :lol:

my two penneth,i like the tray back and can see the use of a 93" or 100" chassis with a space type frame over it aka moglite etc becoming more popular.

The bodywork on a 90 etc is very expensive and easily damaged so why not cut out the dear bit.

something akind to the tomcat,but IMO there ugly,bowlers look good but tooo long.

So i'd go 100" chassis (cheap as) defender bulkhead,tubular front end to resemble 90 etc,tubular rear end incorperating roll cage and storage, winch points etc and if you could do the bending /welding yourself then not that expensive.