Auto or Manual?

Drizz

i love my manual boxes too much!! i know that the serious off roaders use auto boxes but its just personal preference for me!!

think autos are probably better for the reason that if you try to change gear in the sticky stuff in a manual you will probably get stuck.... you will never have this in an auto!!

still i only have 200tdi motors and i have never come across an auto 1 yet!!

Depends on the use really. I have until now been manual however my d-lander is auto because it seems to give additional control needed in winch challenges. On the other hand Jez and the HOFS gang are positive that manual is the way for them - its a totally different type of comp tho and the manual gives them the control they need.

You need to drive both to make a judgment. I converted from manual to auto and I think it's improved the car's driveability - especially offroad (and in traffic) but I might have rethought the decision if I'd known how much of a hit I'd take on my fuel consumption.

How much harder has it hit?

Each has it's advantages.

I would not neccessarily agree about not getting stuck changing gear in the slippy stuff.

I found that using second gear for trials wasn't such a good idea after failing a dusty hill climb. The box changed down into first halfway up, and the increased torque broke traction.

Just a case of re learning an appropriate gear for the terrain. Didn't make the same mistake again, and would never to back to a manual box.

I like manuals, and I like automatics. The only thing about automatics that I'm not particularly keen about is how they can sometimes disengage on overrun during a descent, a quick dab on the throttle soon sorts that out mind.

I started offroading in a manual Defender, so I am biassed. But have since driven a mate's RRC with auto and got a P38a 4.6 auto myself, both on and offroad. For me, the automatics lack a certain degree of control, when you aplly the throttle I find it difficult to judge how much power is being used by the torque-converter and how much is making the wheels spin. I'm sure this would get better with practice. To gain a bit of control, I usually put the autobox in 'manual mode', to lock it in the gear of my choice (in the P38a, when in low, you can not only prevent upshifting, but also downshifting, making it behave much like a manual except offcourse the inevitable slip of the torque converter)

Onroad, it's quite comfortable, especially with a nice V8 to compensate for the losses. My dad used to have a 2.0 Merc auto, and thet was quite gutless compared to the smaller engined 1.8 manual I drove at the time.

Furthermore, the fuel consumption and less direct engine braking puts me off. With the trailer, it's nice not having to worry about downshifting on slopes, but I still prefer the added control (or at least the idea of being more in control) of a manual.

So much so, I have now gotten a P38a 4.0 manual and am planning to switch the engines, keeping a 4.6 manual and selling a 4.0 auto.

I'm fitting a 2.8td to a 110 but I'm not using the auto its comming with as I was told on other forums that the Auto is not realy up to it so I going to us the 5sp V8 box up against the new engine. not I deal but I have a 40k manual which will be strough enough but a auto which is iffy so I'm going for the safe bet of a manual (although I don't really want a manual)