Fuel Range

Coddy

Hi, I average 32.5mpg, the tank holds according to the handbook 89ltrs=19.5gallons or thereabouts which equates to 630+ per tankful. Having said that i usually keep to 60 mph. The disco is manual and has the egr blanked off. Regards, Rocky

Alright mate, I was wondering this about other peoples miles.

I've heard people say they get 550-600 on a tank.. But I'm never sure if they actually mean a full tank or just until the light comes on.

I was getting 450 miles from full to when the light came on, and on the motorway 3000 revs in 5th was 70mph

I just spent £7 to blank off the EGR valve, scraped the carp out of the hose going into the engine, it drives much better, pulls from lower revs and feels like a diffferent car.

I nowget 490 miles from full to when the light came on, and on the motorway 3000 revs in 5th is now 80mph

Hope this helps, mine is a manual too

Don't forget that speedos normally over-read by 10%, the only accurate way to measure is use a GPS - this is why real mpg is often much less.....

Add on changes caused by the use of different tyre sizes etc and GPS is the only way to go.

...on the motorway 3000 revs in 5th was 70mph...

I just spent £7 to blank off the EGR valve, scraped the carp out of the hose going into the engine....

...on the motorway 3000 revs in 5th is now 80mph...

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Explain to me how blanking the EGR has gained you 10mph for no increase in engine speed, in the same gear... (I'm hoping there's a typo somewhere in your post :P )

Don't forget that speedos normally over-read by 10%

Yep, mine overeads by 5 mph, so the 70mph on the clock is 65mph on GPS

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Explain to me how blanking the EGR has gained you 10mph for no increase in engine speed, in the same gear... (I'm hoping there's a typo somewhere in your post :P )

Well (I'm sure a better, more experienced and more thorough explanation will be along shortly) the egr vale when open takes some of the exhaust gas from cyclinder 4 and puts it back into to combustion process, that's right it puts hot dirty air back in.. I can only guess this is to help with emissions and to possibly help burn any unspent fuel??

What you get is a horrible gunky tar like substance build up in the hose that take this air back into the engine, which means it takes this tar like carp back into the engine. I scraped all this out and blanked off the egr so that none of this hot dirty air is passed back into the engine anymore. So it burns better and as such responds better.

It used to be a bit of an effort to keep it at 70mph on the clock, as you were driving you relax, less force on the peddle and oit'd pootle along nicley at 60... Now it pootles along nicley at 70...

Sorry for waffling but I am so glad I read about it one here and other forums and then did it.

Don't forget that speedos normally over-read by 10%, the only accurate way to measure is use a GPS - this is why real mpg is often much less.....

Add on changes caused by the use of different tyre sizes etc and GPS is the only way to go.

Please let me know how a GPS can help calculate a vehicle's mpg. <_<

i get 450 miles from a full tank till the reserve light comes on. but i havnt been filling it right up for a while, only 50 quid at a time and i get 250miles. i have a snorkel fitted along with insa turbo dakars, 235/85. nothing else that will affect fuel. standard tune engine etc.

The last 2 disco's ive had ( 97 & 98 300tdi manual) have both done approx 550 miles to a full tank.Thats 200 miles on the first quarter & then the needle drops faster.This is on a full tank until the light comes on with every day driving.

So, to anyone who had a Disco that gave over 500 miles from full to when the light comes on, what mods did you have??

Would de-cat pipe helps this, how about bigger intercooler (providing you're not lead footed obviously, would this help imporve the mileage if the cooler air going in helped it to burn more efficiently???)

I dream of 600miles between fill ups..

Cheers

On my first disco i removed the cat ,removed the viscous fan,blanked off the EGR valve & turned the fuel up.On my present disco i have done all the above except removing the cat (at the moment) & also moved the pump diaphram pressure feed from the turbo to the inlet manifold.

Oh, sorry mate.

I don't know then, I just know it's happened

And I'm glad it has

A fixed gear train will give a known number of revoultions out for a certain number in. Therefore, in 5th, if your engine does 1 revolution, your wheels will turn a precise number of times. This remains fixed for whatever the power of your engine.

So if you do 3000rpm at 70, you will do 3000rpm at 70, regardless of whether you have upgraded your engine or not. In fact (mating problems aside) if you took out your TDi and put in a V8, you would still get 70mph at 3000rpm on the new engine.

The standard gearing on a TDi disco will give 80mph at around 3000rpm. 70mph equates to a shade over 2600rpm.

The only way to alter this is to change your tyre size, or the gears in the gearbox.

And as for fuel consumption, I normally get about 500 to a tank, and that is from full until the light comes on. It does vary depending on what fuel is put in. Whilst in Greece I used boat diesel, which was different to the stuff sold in the pump (no it wasn't illegal!) and managed 563 miles. I have no idea what the difference was though.

Some fuel additives can give better consumption. The stuff off the shelf certainly works, whether or not you are quids in after buying it I am not sure. The high performance diesel that some stations sell works too - however I haven't crunched the numbers to work out if it ends up cheaper in the long run.

Acetone is an interesting one - I have had some good results and some atrocious ones. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tried it.

I get 520 (speedo) miles from full to light on and have done no matter how I drive or what kind of load I take. This was also before and after I blanked the EGR. I did notice the engine pull slightly better afterwards but fuel economy did not change.

I have had 575 miles from full tank to light on but I was driving at 50mph and had hardly any load. Still haven't been able to reproduce that since though!

I'm driving Insa Turbo Dakhars, EGR blanked, Silicon hoses (though before and after economy did not change) and have MSS lockable draws with full Halfords Professional tool kit and other odds and sods in the back.

Typsey

A fixed gear train will give a known number of revoultions out for a certain number in. Therefore, in 5th, if your engine does 1 revolution, your wheels will turn a precise number of times. This remains fixed for whatever the power of your engine.

So if you do 3000rpm at 70, you will do 3000rpm at 70, regardless of whether you have upgraded your engine or not. In fact (mating problems aside) if you took out your TDi and put in a V8, you would still get 70mph at 3000rpm on the new engine.

The standard gearing on a TDi disco will give 80mph at around 3000rpm. 70mph equates to a shade over 2600rpm.

The only way to alter this is to change your tyre size, or the gears in the gearbox.

Fair enough, I was convinced I was getting more speed at the same revs.. And what you said about where 70mph equates to is bang on with my rev meter too

I stand corrected ;)