opinions on roll cages

My truck cab cage was liftable by one strong person, or 2 normal people, so 75kg?? Dont forget not all of that is high up as the legs and diagonals run down. probably only 50% of the weight is above the COG, maybe 60% at a push so its really not a huge ammount, its the difference between driving with a full tank of fuel, or an empty one but at the top of the vehicle rather than the bottom if you get my drift!

Thanks for that, I get what you mean, I just dont want to fit something that will make the 90 more likley to roll over on the trials? if you get what I mean? My 90 is a 1998 300tdi and all the panels are straight except for the drivers side wing but I would need to replace that anyway due to the safari snorkle holes. Is this just 6 of 1 half a dozen another? No rollcage = less likey to roll at trials but more damage to body if it dose roll? Rollcage fitted = more chance to roll/tip over at trials but less body damage? What is the answer?

I got a 97 90 hardtop with a P&P half external/internal cage, again like others I have an OME 2" lift and 35" simex. It doesnt feel any different in terms of handling/stability offroad.

DSC02908.jpg

Cheers, is that a southdown snorkel you have fitted? does your cage go all the way to the back of the truck internally? Does your cage have an inside cross brace behind the drivers seat? That looks a nice 90 in the snow, was that in the uk?

I have a 90 Hard top with full cage OME suspension and it handles perfectly ok on road

I wouldn't want to roll over ever without a cage

having done so with a cage it was water of a ducks back

had I had no cage I'd have had a Huge repair bill for sides/roof/screen etc etc

What is the rear section of your roof like after a roll? any reason you chose the 50/50 rather than all external cage?

if you want a cage just to save your life - then go for an internal roll hoop.

weighs alot less than a full external, cheaper, doesnt add drag and reduce your speed/fuel economy, doesnt look like a kids climbing frame and wont trap branches and stuff when offroading or greelaning and can make insurance ALOT easier to get. Also means that when you do damage a panel, you dont have to remove the whole cage to replace the panel.

I accept the fact that if i roll i will damage panels. But as most of them are already dented i dont care. To me the cage is there for one reason - to save my life. If the car is written off, i dont care.

If i was doing challenge stuff, then yes i would get a full external. But as i use it as a daily drive and RTVs, i wanted something easy to live with and gives the protection i need if it does all go wrong on a trial.

Cheers, is that a southdown snorkel you have fitted? does your cage go all the way to the back of the truck internally? Does your cage have an inside cross brace behind the drivers seat? That looks a nice 90 in the snow, was that in the uk?

yes southdown snorkle fitted - used to have a safari before so had to ditch that. I mounted the snorkle inboard as far as I could so that it doesnt catch on too much - might cut a couple of inches off the top too so the the intake is a bit lower.

There is a full hoop and cross brace behind the driver then two stays down the sides bolting through the tub and into the rear Cross member.

Piccy was taken in Loddington Woods Northants during the recent snow - it was where they did the AWDC challenge event a couple of years ago.

After reading through this I think I will fit a cage, looking at the options I think it will have to be a full external cage as I have got quite alot of stuff already bolted down in the back of the 90 (tool chest, sub box etc,etc).

I know some people think they look like climbing frames but I think it will look ok on my white 90, it will match the tube winch bumper, the black tree sliders and the black wolf wheels!

The next question is who to I buy one off? and how much should I be spending?

I want one fully welded, powder coated and ready to fit!

Do they just bolt onto the tub and front wings or do you fit internal bits that go down to the chassis?

Any pics of full external cages fitted to your trucks would be good!

My truck cab cage was liftable by one strong person, or 2 normal people, so 75kg?? Dont forget not all of that is high up as the legs and diagonals run down. probably only 50% of the weight is above the COG, maybe 60% at a push so its really not a huge ammount, its the difference between driving with a full tank of fuel, or an empty one but at the top of the vehicle rather than the bottom if you get my drift!

Another way to think of the change in CoG and mass, given the quoted weight and the overall weight distribution, is that it is equivalent to having a small adult male passenger in the centre seat. Not very much interms of vehicle dynamics.

After reading through this I think I will fit a cage, looking at the options I think it will have to be a full external cage as I have got quite alot of stuff already bolted down in the back of the 90 (tool chest, sub box etc,etc).

I know some people think they look like climbing frames but I think it will look ok on my white 90, it will match the tube winch bumper, the black tree sliders and the black wolf wheels!

The next question is who to I buy one off? and how much should I be spending?

I want one fully welded, powder coated and ready to fit!

Do they just bolt onto the tub and front wings or do you fit internal bits that go down to the chassis?

Any pics of full external cages fitted to your trucks would be good!

I bought my cage From North off Road, it came as a flat pack which needed to be welded together. for a full external cage with an internal cross brace behind the bulkhead it cost just over £1000 including VAT and delivery. However they also fit the cage to your truck and paint it if you are able to leave your truck with them at Stockton-On-Tees for a week.

The cage goes through a hole in the top of the wings and are then welded onto a bracket what goes over the outriggers. The rear two hoops have a bracket that bolts either side of the bodywork and then goes through the seatbox and onto the chassis and the rear cross member.

If you want any pictures i just ask and i will take some at the weekend for you.

Tris

The P&P "expedition" full external cage is all bolt on and is supplied powder coated and with all fittings, it's all bolt on and is braced to the chassis. I'm looking at fitting one to Pam's 90 when I rebuild it later this year. It won't provide the same level of protection as a motor sports one but it also doesn't take up any internal space.

I'm a little concerned about any increase in fuel consumption but what the hell, it's only money.

This one from P and P is on ebay at the moment...

0da4_1.JPG

for me i use and recomend sean at north off road.

we rolled (well my driver did ) quite hard at the muskoka event last year.the car dropped 10 ft onto a hard track on the drivers corner of the roof and then rolled a wee bit more.

cage was damaged but no welds broke.

driver walked away with only bruises and bent pride. without a decent cage my driver would not be here.

have a look on the midland off road club site for piccys of the car before and after.

the cage was taken off and cut up and a total new one fitted to a rebuilt car along extra x brace on the roof.

I saw this from pp on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-Defender-...A1%7C240%3A1318

I like the look of the cage but im not sure about the hassle of welding it up then getting it powder coated, I can mig weld quite good (got a city & guilds a long time ago) but I also know how much metal can distort with the heat.

How much would it cost to get something that size powder coated?

Is it worth the hassle welding it together or do I get this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAND-ROVER-Defender-...A1%7C240%3A1318

Fully welded and coated ready to fit and get dirty!

hmm let me think a mo here

toothache------go to a dentist

haircut-------- barber

weld a cage that could save your life-----pay a man that can weld.

if you plan to use your cage as tree bars / sliders etc then i would paint it i.f not then powder coat it and there are many places that will shot blast and do this but its not cheap .

Bear in mind that neither of those are true roll cages - hence why they are billed as "safari" cages.

You need a hoop behind the driver with at least one diagonal brace in it. In fact, you would probably be better off with just that hoop than the whole safari stuff.

Of course, the safari stuff looks the part and will protect the bodywork from trees but will fold flat in a proper roll.

P&P will make you a proper cage, just give them a call they are extremely helpful.

Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs, but better safe than sorry. :)

Oh, and avoid powder coat if you are going near trees.

The thing i would say with powder coating is that it does look great but as soon as it get scratched and scuffed the water will find its way in behind the coating and as it expands and contracts due to head it will cause the powder coating to peel off.

Those cages on ebay are fine, they are sold as roll cages not safari cages and will certainly help in a roll over and provide protection upto a reasonable speed/force. Admittedly an internal is better or at least some bracing inside but any cage braced to the chassis is better than none at all.

My money personally goes to Shaun at North offroad, always provided excellent service, very helpful chap using top quality tube and welding.

Has anyone got any pics of a full ext cage with int cross brace fitted, I understand what the cross brace dose it is just space inside the truck is limited due to where my tool chest is bolted in. Do north off road and p&p have stands at most of the shows, I would like to see both there products in the flesh before I part with any hard earned! I phoned my insurance this morning to see how much extra it would be to have a cage fitted, they said nothing apart from an admin fee to update the mods record!

Yes they both have stands at the major shows however you might not find the configuration you want on display so its problably best to try and find someone local who has one and is willing to show you it - either through here or through the suppliers themselves.