anti roll bar removal?

crofty

I run a 1998 90 CSW which has been lifted etc. (all the usual things you just cant help doing when you get into the Landy experience!)

Im toying with the idea of removing the anti roll bar but unsure of the effect as I mostly use the 90 on the road, will this affect the handling much ? whats the benefits of removing it?

I've never had a roll bar on mine so I couldn't speak for the before & after, but I find that despite rolling a bit on sharp bends or roundabouts it's fairly civilised and I still get round them faster than many of the "hot hatch" drivers seem to dare.

Some people notice them when they've been removed, others don't. I suppose it depends on your driving style and springs / shocks.

They are simple to remove so why not try it (carefully!!) and put them back on if you get sea sick...?

If the ARB was on the vehicle when it left the factory, it may fail the MOT if removed, I recall.

I am sure others on here more knowledgeable will advise.

In the meantime try doing a search of previous posts to see what comes up.

My 110 which started life as a hardtop without an ARB, then became a CSW with ARB, which I since removed when fitting OME 500kg springs on the rear to increase load capacity. No MOT issue for me.

I do not notice the loss of ARB at all.

In fact the vehicle handles much better, but thats down to the springs, which surprisingly don't give too hard a ride, even when lightly loaded.

Aided no doubt by OME shock absorbers.

John

i took the arb's off my 90csw - didnt notice a bit of difference! But then the ARB on a standard 90csw is about as thick/stiff as a drinking straw and pointless.

after fitting new suspension and proper gas shocks, handling was drastically improved all round, even from before removing the arbs.

Regarding the MoT, I took advice from my usual chap when I was putting in a 2nd fuel tank, which needed ARB mounts to be fabricated. His view was that if an ARB were fitted then it needed to be sound, have good bushes etc. But it did not haveto be fitted. So I just took the whole lot off for the MoT and then replaced it when I had fabricated the mounts.

I have found noticeably more roll with rear ARB off, but the articulation is clearly less and have not found either ARB on or ARB off a problem for normal on-road or relatively mild off-road driving. I have not yet taken the front ARB off which will affect the cornering.

The rear ARB mounts under a TD5 fuel tank are susceptible to off-road damage.

I have Gwyen Lewie's kit on my 90.

With the ARB on, if I articulate all the way (that's alot), the ARB will flip over it's self at the L join.

So I tend to keep them on, as with an 07 model it is a insurance no no if the ARB is off, MOT wise it kinda depends where you go as some of these places just don't know if it should be on or off? With them on body roll is reduced quite a bit.

When going on a long off road trip, I tend to take them off 'Just in case".

I think it depends on your suspension set up, as with a ARB on, you can still get pretty ok articulation.

Usually the people who say they don't notice have fitted significantly over-sized tires so they get roll just from the tires flexing like mad. I'm a big believer in anti-rollbars (and quick disconnects) but also acknowledge that most of the ones fitted are too soft as well and the fact they're not tunable (well some are but none for Land Rovers I've seen yet) makes it hard to balance them with the spring/shock stiffness. It seems people just assume they should handle poorly and accept it.

<snip> and the fact they're not tunable (well some are but none for Land Rovers I've seen yet)

<snip>

Trust me, that's a good thing. ;)

Most people can't adjust tyre pressures, can you see Joe average adjusting an ARB and knowing what he/she's doing and how they affect the balance of the car ? :hysterical:

my 2003 110 XS did not have any as standard but did have uprated springs.

It rolled like mad, I fitted some uprated ARBs front and rear, amazing difference. If you do take them off, keep them.

I believe the main reason for removing them is to increase axle travel? I guess you need to weigh up on-road and off-road capability and comfort