Quick question for you winch techs

landrover598

suppose the only thing to check is if it is grease lubed or oil lubed, grease shouldn't cause any isses, but oil may! Problems that may arise with oil is that your breathers go submerged, your lvel plug is now wrong, the filler maybe below the correct level, the gears go above the oil level towhich they are meant to be submerged, oil seals that were designed to just swipe the oil off the shaft now become submerged and may leak et cetera.

Other than that, have a look at the mountings and see if they have any particular pattern on strengthening ribs, it may show that you are sending the stress loadings 90 degrees to the designed path :)

I'm pretty sure it's greased lubed as there is no filler/drain for the oil

I think the mounting on the wing will be stronger this way as instead of trying to shear the bolts off, it will be in compression.

ok on the lube then :)

shearing botls is not an issue generally, we figured out at work between my lead mechanical designer and me that we could mount my winch using four 5/16" bolts with ease, let alone that it's mounted using eight 3/8 (M10) bolts, but then the housings on mine (SW 525) are designed to be mounted only one way :)

Without having a look over the casing, I'd say that the load transfer should be ok as your still trying to pull and compress though the same axis of the mounting holes (front compress, now top, rear under tension, now bottom).

However if you break it, you fix it :lol:

Dave,

The GEW is a copy of the Ramsey RE8000

Yes you can mount it like that - no worries

You can turn the clutch/gearbox by 45/90/180 degrees to place the clutch action in a better area (does that sound right)

If you need the correct webbing designs for what you are doing, I have them at work

You can turn the clutch/gearbox by 45/90/180 degrees to place the clutch action in a better area

I didn't know that <_<

That was the whole point of turning the winch through 90 degrees so i can get the clutch lever in a better position, so that i can get the winch and bumper as close into the chassis as possible.

Any idea how to move it around, before i give it a go and end up with cogs etc all over the floor :lol:

I've got to go and buy some more steel before i can make the bumper, just getting the design sorted for now. The web designs would be brill, thanks

It's starting to co-operate now :D

After a bit of advice, i've managed to move the freespool lever around by about 30 degrees. The winch will now sit in tight to the bumper with it's feet downwards.

The face of the new bumper will be 7" from the chassis crossmember, exactly the same as it is now with a standard bumper. :D

finished.jpg

Don't remind me <_< so far i've got to do

Winch bumper

winch wiring

front recovery points

Rockslider sills

rear wiper

complete exhaust system

cubby box

Snorkel

On board air

Quick release jump leads