Top speed

at 70'ish with the overdrive disengaged [out]rpm is around 3000 with overdrive engaged [in] about 2500, IIRC. my overdrive drops the revs by 500 to 600 for any speed when engaged.

for example ---

at 60 overdrive out rpm 2500

22.jpg

at 60 overdrive in rpm 2000/2100

23.jpg

:ph34r: iv had my E reg 110 300tdi on a 1.410 tbox at 93ish (and it wasnt down a hill)not 100% on figure as speedo has the typical defender woble, could of gone a wee more, but not much and there were brown stains starting to appear in undergarments as shes a bit of a restle at the best of times. not reconmending anyone tries this, nor will i be doing it again. 10k after nearly complete engine rebuild so i new engine was a1(and still is). the result of a freaking transit van being stuck on my arse for x miles, so i gave it some beans and off she went. was running new 235/85 at the time

So why won't mine go past 74 :angry::angry:

Have you got correct cog in the gear box for the 235 tyre or have you got the one it might have come out if the factory and that wold be one for 205 tyres

When i put 235 , 85's on my 90 i had to change the cog on the speado cable in gearbox to a 110 one . Becasue it rmake the speado read 10% less than i was doing because of the bigger tyres.

This could be your problem and their is nothing wrong with your engine

Borrow a GPS to check real speed against indicated speedo, speed

Hi guys,

Sorry to hi-jack he thread but I was just wondering if anyone knows how accurate a GPS is in terms of speed? I figured it should be accurate as I assume it is calculating the speed by trigonometry and should therefore be very accurate.

Once again apologies for hi-jacking the thread.

Thanks in advance, Mark.

Hi guys,

Sorry to hi-jack he thread but I was just wondering if anyone knows how accurate a GPS is in terms of speed? I figured it should be accurate as I assume it is calculating the speed by trigonometry and should therefore be very accurate.

Once again apologies for hi-jacking the thread.

Thanks in advance, Mark.

Well it depends how many satellite fixes you have some times you can get wildly varying results of location and speed if you only have connection to satellites over head rather than from the horizon as well that is why some units running OS based maps need about 6 fixes for true 1meter accuracy.

If you use TOMTOM I don’t think there is any measure of accuracy to compare but with the more anorak (I own one so I can say that!) orientated gps units it gives you the current accuracy of location this must be the same for speed over land as that is how the gps works (I think) timed position and timed movement calculated form the atomic clocks onboard the satellite and compared to the signals from your handset .

Cheers

James

:blink:

It was GPS speed :( The speedo is actually almost smack on :blink:

Ok then where do you buy your fuel

If you buy the carp you get at supermarkets then that would be your answer

And when was the last time you added some addative to the diesel to clean the injectors and lub up the fuel injection unit.

Ok then where do you buy your fuel

If you buy the carp you get at supermarkets then that would be your answer

And when was the last time you added some addative to the diesel to clean the injectors and lub up the fuel injection unit.

Fuel from the shell petrol station, fuel addative about 3 or 4 weeks ago, major service about 6 weeks ago.

Anyone know the top speed on the flat of a tuned V8 90 B) with 235/85 MT tyres ?

I started to back off at 114 (gps) as a 3 lane motorway was seemingly too narow ! ............... also about 90 in 4th.............

It will only pull to just over 98 (gps) with 35 x 13.50's on............................

:)

Ian

I started to back off at 114 (gps) as a 3 lane motorway was seemingly too narow ! ............... also about 90 in 4th.............

It will only pull to just over 98 (gps) with 35 x 13.50's on............................

:)

Ian

Jules had a 4.2 90 on 35" simex extreme treckers. I was following him in a Pug 406 and i lost him at 120mph . That was the max of the pug and he kept going into the distance . That was on the M3 between winchester and southampton . So never did know what he got up to in the end . Plus a bit difficult to him in the distance becasue of the rain :unsure: