Firefox and Java support

BogMonster

I've recently started using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer and it is much quicker for forum access - but it doesn't support Java which leaves me with a lot of pages with the "Download plugin to display this" message :angry:

I presume the fact it isn't included is some sort of licensing issue as I've never had to download anything for IE, but a couple of aborted attempts at installing the plugin only added a few hours to my phone bill and got me nowhere.

I've just been searching around and you can download the offline Java installation which is probably what I need to do (cos its going on 4 different computers, 1 at each job, 1 at home and my laptop) but it's 15MB which is a non starter on dialup - it'll probably fail half way through and leave me with nothing (big downloads usually seem to).

So does anybody else who uses Firefox have any bright ideas on installing this please? It must be on the computer somewhere - IE has support for it - is it possible to copy the plugin thingy (no idea what that is) out of IE and into Firefox...?

Ta :)

Stephen

Movies are nowt to do with Javascript, although you may find Firefox's security prevents some Java from running - have a look in the preferences.

As for movies, downloading and installing the plugin usually helps ;) you need to install it for Firefox, it won't work if you've already got the plugin installed for IE.

I use firefox for everything and I've not found anything it doesn't do yet.

Movies are nowt to do with Javascript, although you may find Firefox's security prevents some Java from running - have a look in the preferences.

As for movies, downloading and installing the plugin usually helps ;) you need to install it for Firefox, it won't work if you've already got the plugin installed for IE.

ditto, also justed noted, go to the "Help" tab and you will find an option "For Internet Explorer Users", might help explain a few confusions :)

Don't think it is prefs because this is FF displaying a message saying it needs to download a plugin, which is the problem because I've wasted hours and quite a few £ on the phone bill and the stupid thing doesn't download "automatically" and the manual multi language install everything download is too big.

Not sure about movies, not worth trying those really as you can't even think about playing them live and downloading for offline is 'kin expensive!

Stephen, most common use of javascripts on commercial websites is for links to other pages or sites via a button or similar - using script rather than a hyperlink. Newspapers frequently use them for 'latest news' tickertapes. Without java, you will never be able to use these websites to fullest advantage.

Try this - go the Daily Telegraph website - telegraph.co.uk - and you'll see an empty box towards the top 'News Latest' and you will presumably see a green clover leaf in centre asking you to download an update - this is for the Java Runtime Environment - download took under 30 seconds under broadband, so should be do-able on dial up.

I couldn't locate the java update either in Firefox or in the Windows java folder, so not sure that someone could download to a CDR.

Neil

Stephen, most common use of javascripts on commercial websites is for links to other pages or sites via a button or similar - using script rather than a hyperlink. Newspapers frequently use them for 'latest news' tickertapes. Without java, you will never be able to use these websites to fullest advantage.

Try this - go the Daily Telegraph website - telegraph.co.uk - and you'll see an empty box towards the top 'News Latest' and you will presumably see a green clover leaf in centre asking you to download an update - this is for the Java Runtime Environment - download took under 30 seconds under broadband, so should be do-able on dial up.

I couldn't locate the java update either in Firefox or in the Windows java folder, so not sure that someone could download to a CDR.

Neil

Erm

no

the latest news thing works ok :unsure:

I do get the cloverleaf thing on some sites though, as you suggest

I spent 2 hours trying to download it the other day with no success and gave up in disgust :angry:

Anyway Mo has offered to send it to me on a CD if reqd, thanks Mo :)

It's probably the flash plug in that you need.

I use Firefox and half the time there is a video to watch it won't play it - I get the plug in required message and when i click to download the plug in I get a message saying plug in not found.

I have the java plug in and the flash plug in already downloaded so it cant be them (downloaded them from the FF site). It seems to be something to do with Windows media player because it seems to be pictures that use media player that won't work? They work fine on IE or Avant but no go on FF...?

I use Firefox and half the time there is a video to watch it won't play it - I get the plug in required message and when i click to download the plug in I get a message saying plug in not found.

I have the java plug in and the flash plug in already downloaded so it cant be them (downloaded them from the FF site). It seems to be something to do with Windows media player because it seems to be pictures that use media player that won't work? They work fine on IE or Avant but no go on FF...?

TimeBandit,

I have no trouble with any films or pages on Firefox.

Have you tried installing the media player plugin for Firefox ?

get it here

TimeBandit,

I have no trouble with any films or pages on Firefox.

Have you tried installing the media player plugin for Firefox ?

get it here

I already have Media Player on the system (XP) do I need a seperate version for Firefox? The media Player works fine in IE and Avant already and I had seen the Media Player download on the Firefox plug in page but just presumed it was meant for it you didn't have Media Player installed on your system at all?

So do I just download it from that page again and it overwrites my current version of media player?

Sorry if this is a numpty question - but me and 'puters don't get on at all.... :(:huh:

I've recently started using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer and it is much quicker for forum access - but it doesn't support Java which leaves me with a lot of pages with the "Download plugin to display this" message :angry:

I presume the fact it isn't included is some sort of licensing issue as I've never had to download anything for IE, but a couple of aborted attempts at installing the plugin only added a few hours to my phone bill and got me nowhere.

I've just been searching around and you can download the offline Java installation which is probably what I need to do (cos its going on 4 different computers, 1 at each job, 1 at home and my laptop) but it's 15MB which is a non starter on dialup - it'll probably fail half way through and leave me with nothing (big downloads usually seem to).

So does anybody else who uses Firefox have any bright ideas on installing this please? It must be on the computer somewhere - IE has support for it - is it possible to copy the plugin thingy (no idea what that is) out of IE and into Firefox...?

Ta :)

Stephen

Stephen,

What you can try is the Firefox add-on called Web Developer - current version is 1.0.2 - it allows you to disable CSS, show table cells/borders, validate HTML, resize windows, see form and cookie details etc etc etc

Web developer add-on from FF Mozilla website.

This gives you alot of control. After downloading, your will need to close Firefox then restart it.

Under the 'Tools' button there you will find an option to start - Java Console.

You can turn it off, in the first 'Disable' button frop down.

Hope this helps someone esle too.

Peter

I already have Media Player on the system (XP) do I need a seperate version for Firefox? The media Player works fine in IE and Avant already and I had seen the Media Player download on the Firefox plug in page but just presumed it was meant for it you didn't have Media Player installed on your system at all?

So do I just download it from that page again and it overwrites my current version of media player?

Sorry if this is a numpty question - but me and 'puters don't get on at all.... :(:huh:

Yes, you do need to install the plugin - the Firefox plugin will just be a small bit of software that hooks the browser up to Media Player (Microsoft only hook it up to Internet Explorer).

This link is not to a plugin but to the complete WMP 10 software [which is extraordinarily good kit, if anyone is not using it - very versatile and audio quality is fantastic]

Neil

Stephen - plugin issues aside, it would be well worth your while downloading the Firefox extension called 'Fasterfox'. It's pretty small as all it really does under the skin is tweak some of the more advanced browser settings (you could do it yourself, but you'd be into serious techy stuff). It makes Firefox even quicker :)

Anyone have a link to the plugin or know how do I configure WMP to work with Firefox?

Timebandit, have you tried downloading the complete media player and reinstalling it OR have you tried this and it's still not working ?

Edit - this copied from mozilla site, it seems to me that the plug in is already embedded in firefox

"Windows Media Player

Version: 7.1 and later

Firefox 1.5: Automatic

SeaMonkey 1.0: Automatic

Important! Known Issues

SeaMonkey and Mozilla Firefox will automatically detect and use the Windows Media Player plugin if it is installed.

Note: If you are using Windows Media Player 7.1 or later, Mozilla will detect and use the Windows Media Player plugin if it is installed.

Note: To use the Windows Media Player ActiveX control, see the Embedded Windows Media in Firefox thread at the MozillaZine Forums, written by Vectorspace. "

So I'd suggest reinstalling media player 10

Good Luck !!! :)