Big Blunder...forgot to Disengage the handbrake

Hello all....

Last night in an emergency i forgot to disengage the handbrake....and put me landy in first gear(high range)....and let her go....she moved a few centimeters...with a thud and a clunk...realised me folly and disengaged the handbrake... :ph34r:

she moved fine since...brake holds fine too.

But am still anxious....what damage if any occured should i look out for and where?

Thanks all

Hello all....

Last night in an emergency i forgot to disengage the handbrake....and put me landy in first gear(high range)....and let her go....she moved a few centimeters...with a thud and a clunk...realised me folly and disengaged the handbrake... :ph34r:

she moved fine since...brake holds fine too.

But am still anxious....what damage if any occured should i look out for and where?

Thanks all

the handbrake operates on it's own drum which is on the back of the transfer box...thus is not connected to your brakes in any way.

G

You mean the handbrake actually offered any resistance?

I forgot to release my handbrake a while a go. Drove about 4-5 miles, doing nearly 50mph at one point. Only noticed my error when I parked up and went to put it on. The drum was red hot so let it cool with hand brake off (let it in gear, level ground anyway) and has been fine since, well it drives OK and still holds when used.

quite some years ago, I was near Boston for my employer. My company car was a 1974 series, got quite a few looks from the locals, jaws dropped with a matching English (nearly, Bristolian :lol: ), accent. Anyway, one day did a swap for a few miles with a local. I drove his Camero, he drove the series. When we got to the bar, ;) , he said, It dont go very well? on investigation, he had driven up the interstate with the handbrake on!!! thats when he realised it had some pullin power!! I was already in the bar pullin!! :lol:

I could tell when my handbrake was left on in the hybred as when slowing down/coming to a halt the front prop(sounds from the front anyway?) would start making a clattering sound and the LR would shudder a bit.

As I have n LT95 I guess the constant forgetting helped to kill the transfer box bearings. :(

If it was a one off probably no real damage caused.

Marc.