HID lights

Bluemoon

I replaced my old lights a few years with HID Xenon (look) lights and they were a bit brighter than the standard halogen lights( I think, unless it was the placebo effect)., any I was wondering if anyone had fitted the real HID lights with the ballast etc and what they thought of them, or the none legal 100w Xenon lights,

cheers Brian

Brian.

I have installed the HID auxilery driving lights and was so impressed with them that now I want to replace my head lights with HID items.

Be aware that the results will change between various cars because of the differences found in the lens pattern. From what I've learn't the HID lights fitted as original fitment on modern cars utterlise the reflector pattern more than they do the basic clear lens (which is just for protection).

IE. Just because the HID lights give good performance on a Range Rover doesn't mean the same lights will perform as well on a Defender.

What car did you want to fit them to? I am looking for the same answers for my 300 series Discovery.

In the UK at least, it would be illegal to fit HID lamps to a Defender without a load of other modifications. IIRC the lamps need to be self cleaning and self levelling. If you fit without you will spend a lot of time dazzling people I guess, and that will not win you many friends.

Chris

It was to fit into my Defender, but looking at the previous post looks a bit out of the question. or maybe not! Does it mean "self" or operatered by a switch?

Self cleaning ? jets and wipers

Self leveling? horizontal hinge with a scrap adjuster or counter balance and damper or mercury switches, could be a nice little head scratcher

Brian

In the UK at least, it would be illegal to fit HID lamps to a Defender without a load of other modifications. IIRC the lamps need to be self cleaning and self levelling. If you fit without you will spend a lot of time dazzling people I guess, and that will not win you many friends.

Chris

I have seen an ad for Xennon lights for a Defender but could see no "Self Levelling".

When the lights are turned on the lights should be self levelled by a motor to ensure that they don't dazzle. They don't do it as you drive. They start low, move up to a high possition then return to a lower "Levelled" position.

Not convinced about the self cleaning, my BM only had manual electric water jets.

Marc.

...Self leveling? horizontal hinge with a scrap adjuster or counter balance and damper or mercury switches, could be a nice little head scratcher

Brian

These requirements are included in the SVA manual.

Automatic self leveling.

Wash system (Does not mention wipe)

Accompanied by evidence that the installed system complies with UN ECE reg 98, 99 and 48.01.

As you say there are plenty of vehicles on the breakers with either motorised or vacuum mechanisms so it should be possible to Heath Robinson something that would work but you will fall down on the compliance bit.

Steve

These requirements are included in the SVA manual.

Automatic self leveling.

Wash system (Does not mention wipe)

Accompanied by evidence that the installed system complies with UN ECE reg 98, 99 and 48.01.

...you will fall down on the compliance bit...

Not necessarily - surely you just need a copy of the regs, ensure that you meet them and then write down why. Certification doesn't need to be long, tedious or scary, just documented.

i dont understand why they need to be self levelling.

surely if the beam is directed properly via the headlamp aim - its exactly the same as any other light fitted to the defender? I know when i bent my wings up on some trees, the headlight aim was a touch high and it did annoy a few people until i bashed them straight(ish) and reset my headlight aim..... so whats the difference between my 55w headlights being badly adjusted and blinding oncoming motorists to badly adjusted HIDs?

Not necessarily - surely you just need a copy of the regs, ensure that you meet them and then write down why. Certification doesn't need to be long, tedious or scary, just documented.

not according to dft...

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

Taken from dft site (google: dft HID)

Fact sheet: Aftermarket HID headlamps

December 2006

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.

Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6

Department for Transport

Zone 2/04

Great Minster House

76 Marsham Street

London

SW1P 4DR

Telephone: 020 7944 2078

Fax: 020 7944 2196

Email: TTS.enquiries@dft.gsi.gov.uk

I've looked into fitting HID's to our A4, and while i could fit the bulbs and ballasts to fit the stadnard halogen headlights, or even purchase the correct Audi HID units, the problem is the washing system and the self levelling.

The self levelling on the A4 uses two little sensors on one front and one rear suspension arm, then an ECU to control the normal levelling motors in the lights which on our model are controlled by a 3 position switch on the dash. None of this is present in a non-HID equipped model, so i'd have to find the parts and fabricate a wiring loom. The washers is just a case of finding the correct bumper with the washer jets and fitting the appropriate pump tank and relay. They wash when you wash the windscreen if the headlights are on.

The big problem is that MOT stations have been told to look out for these retrofit kits, and i would also imagine your insurance company would frown on having illegal bulbs fitting were you to have an accident.

The other major issue with the HID light is the beam pattern, HID bulbs produce light in a different location and the beam pattern produced as a result from this is fairly annoying to oncoming traffic and not very focused on the road.

check out;

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu...onversions.html

which I'm sure has been mentioned here before.

On top of all this negativity - a couple of years back, I imported a kit from the foreign to convert regular headlamps into HID. They bore a remarkable similarity to some slightly more orange ones available a while later.

They worked brilliantly - and were very bright and clear - but during the adjustment process - one of the lamps gave me the most unpleasant electric shock I've had (and I've had quite a few!). It was raining at the time and it appeared that the cable seals on the wiring were not particularly water (or electric) proof!

I 'carefully' removed them and sought a little revenge on them with a club hammer! I thought it was quite ironic when they appeared in Orange!

I dare say most of the kits are fine - but some of the cheaper ones could potentially be dangerous!

Si