Can this be replaced....?

Me again,

Here's a picture of my badly rusted and poorly repaired rear body crossmember (if that's what it is called..?). It's the same all the way across, and someone has tried to plate it previously (badly) and the weld is giving way.

DSC_4128.jpg

I have tried looking for one of these online, 24/7 spares etc, but no luck. Am I destined to trawl the scrappies for a part :(

Is this an unbolt and bolt in part? There are no details in the Haynes book of lies......it looks as if it is a bolt on item, but hoped maybe you guys who know these babies well could provide some enlightenment.

If so, anyone got one in reasonable condition they'd be willing to send, or I can collect within reasonable distance, I'm at Carterton, Oxfordshire?

Drop me a line, with a price. :P

Cheers everyone for your comments so far.

Many thanks.

Have you tried your local main dealer ? (Mine in Canterbury can also get Britpart/OEM stuff as well as genuine). I have it as RRC6278 or NRC4171. The NRC number comes up with price around £30-40.

Whats the rest of your chassis like ? (try tapping with very small hammer to get nice metallic noise)

Have you tried your local main dealer ? (Mine in Canterbury can also get Britpart/OEM stuff as well as genuine). I have it as RRC6278 or NRC4171. The NRC number comes up with price around £30-40.

Whats the rest of your chassis like ? (try tapping with very small hammer to get nice metallic noise)

According to my MicroCat the NRC number has been superceded by the Puma Defender version KVB500230 at about £80 (see attached).

Failing that it might be as cheap and easy to get one made up as it's only a rectangular tube with a couple of brackets on it.

Colin.

post-12380-1239880114_thumb.jpg

According to my MicroCat the NRC number has been superceded by the Puma Defender version KVB500230 at about £80 (see attached).

Failing that it might be as cheap and easy to get one made up as it's only a rectangular tube with a couple of brackets on it.

Colin.

Just Googled KVB500230 and found this: http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php?xProd=88312

I have an old fashioned part number book and also an old copy of microcat...

Yep, you can't beat the old part number books (pity I haven't got any:() and ideally an up to date version of MicroCat to cross-check with.

But I find that you can get by with MicroCat and these Forums :D

Colin.

Now you've found the part, prepare yourself for the world of pain you are about to enter when you try and fit it!!

There are several threads on here giving tips and tricks on how to get the new one into position, even going as far as cutting the replacement part in two to install and then re welding it!!

Not being a barge owner myself :P I cannot give first hand experience, but by all accounts it is a pig!

Good luck!

Now you've found the part, prepare yourself for the world of pain you are about to enter when you try and fit it!!

There are several threads on here giving tips and tricks on how to get the new one into position, even going as far as cutting the replacement part in two to install and then re welding it!!

Not being a barge owner myself :P I cannot give first hand experience, but by all accounts it is a pig!

Good luck!

I've heard that one and the guy who eventually unbolted (including shearing most of them off) the whole body & lifted it an inch or two with a JCB.

I'm sure they can't all be that bad though, fingers crossed for you mate.

Hi mate if you have a CSW you can fit it by removing the rear passenger floor if you remove the two L shaped brackets drill bolt holes in them before you cut the welds and they will go back in the correct position and then it can be put into position there might be a coulple of unused brackets on the top of the chassis that might get in the way but you can cut them off as they dont get used.

hope that helps

Iain

if you live around wiltshire iv got 1 proped up in my shed, decent second hand, 15 beer tokens

andy

BigBlue - thanks for the offer, but I reckon by the time I have driven down and back, probably cheaper to buy a new one, at £42. :huh:

However, having seen the nightmare about to ensue, I may have a go at repairing the repair.... :o

Thanks for all the help. I'll have a chat with my welder and see if the cut in two/three option is a goer. I reckon in its current state its gonna fail the MOT, but I've got until July to get it sorted. :)

Homba - I reckon I'll lift the floor panels anyway (it is a CSW). I could do with a look underneath, and may help matters on their way. Cheers.

So basically, cut the new one in three - lift the rear floor panels, slot in place, weld back together and bolt in place...sounds easy..... :(

Now then, about this Microcat...... :D

BigBlue - thanks for the offer, but I reckon by the time I have driven down and back, probably cheaper to buy a new one, at £42. :huh:

However, having seen the nightmare about to ensue, I may have a go at repairing the repair.... :o

Thanks for all the help. I'll have a chat with my welder and see if the cut in two/three option is a goer. I reckon in its current state its gonna fail the MOT, but I've got until July to get it sorted. :)

Homba - I reckon I'll lift the floor panels anyway (it is a CSW). I could do with a look underneath, and may help matters on their way. Cheers.

So basically, cut the new one in three - lift the rear floor panels, slot in place, weld back together and bolt in place...sounds easy..... :(

Now then, about this Microcat...... :D

MircoCat courtesy of Retroanoconda:

Anyway, for those who don't use torrents etc. here is Microcat on a normal server. With full download instructions too, including the crack and the microlaunch executable that was floating around.

http://www.retroanaconda.com/james/microcat/index.html

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought but don't you think it's a little ironic; The same forum where the slightest irregularity in the registration of a vehicle creates a bombardment of emails to the DVLA and endless threads about SVA, followed by debate about the difference between a rebuild and a VIN swap.

But post a link to a piece of pirate software and everyone is happy to download.

Honest I'm not just bitter because it doesn't work on a mac. I have work with a company which supplies software very like this (not Microcat) these companies are not huge and I am sure LR has paid them for the work done but that isn't the point really.

Just a thought but don't you think it's a little ironic; The same forum where the slightest irregularity in the registration of a vehicle creates a bombardment of emails to the DVLA and endless threads about SVA, followed by debate about the difference between a rebuild and a VIN swap.

But post a link to a piece of pirate software and everyone is happy to download.

Honest I'm not just bitter because it doesn't work on a mac. I have work with a company which supplies software very like this (not Microcat) these companies are not huge and I am sure LR has paid them for the work done but that isn't the point really.

What would life be Philip? Without a sense of irony.

Howard.

2X300TdiDef. And a genuine parts book (£55). No Microcat: Would take too long to download.

i have been offered an early 110 that needs this cross member replacing! can it not be replaced with a length of box section?

Now there's a bright idea - after-all, B) its not much more than that really. I guess looking at it, with a bit of artistic welding license, could be done.

Now there's a bright idea - after-all, B) its not much more than that really. I guess looking at it, with a bit of artistic welding license, could be done.

I don't really want to find myself disagreeing with Ralph (he is normally right about most things) but I would have thought it would have been quite possible with a bit of cutting of access holes for any nuts/bolts.

Whether it is worth the hassle when the right part is available is another debate <_<.

If anyone does attempt this, I and I'm sure many others would be interested in how you get on & ideally with lots of pictures of exactly how you did it.

Cheers,

Colin.