td5 dash into older 90

Hey guys.

I have a 1984 90 and wanted to know how easy it would be to fit the centre console dash bit (radio) thingy to an earlier agon or would i need to transplant the whole dash into it?

Cheers Guys

Jamie

I'm no expert in this but have heard that it is a right PITA and expensive to do whichever way you do it.

Much better (unless you are determined for it to look exactly like a TD5) & cheaper to go for one of these: http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/MUD_defender_console.shtml

Hopefully someone who actually knows what they are talking about will either confirm or deny this shortly.

Colin.

Looks like I should either learn to type quicker or stay in my box & leave it to the grown ups' ;)

:rofl:

don't stay in your box, all replies are good info even if the links are the same. I just got to it & knew the websites I wanted for my reply, so no worries :i-m_so_happy:

I'm in the middle of adding a MUD console at the moment. Seems to be a good quality bit of kit - the plastic fascia is suprisingly thick.

I've fitted my stereo, CB and fag lighter into it so far so have done all the cutting out I intend to do for the minute - might add an extra 12 volt socket sometime.

I'll let you know how I get on with the actual mounting if you like.

Martin

I'm in the middle of adding a MUD console at the moment. Seems to be a good quality bit of kit - the plastic fascia is suprisingly thick.

I've fitted my stereo, CB and fag lighter into it so far so have done all the cutting out I intend to do for the minute - might add an extra 12 volt socket sometime.

I'll let you know how I get on with the actual mounting if you like.

Martin

I'm sure there are a few here (me included) who would appreciate a few words & if possible pictures on how the actual mounting of your MUD console goes :D.

Colin.

I don't have a step-by-step but if you chaps have a look here you'll see that the console back and sides are made of steel, these screw to the metal subframe of the dash. The plastic console fascia then screws to the metal sides. It really is a piece of cake to do, the only time consuming bit is marking out the fascia panel to suit what you want and cutting the holes and then running the wiring for your switches etc.

I have a photo of my own somewhere if anyone wants to see it but there are plenty of pictures on the Mudstuff website.

HTH

Mo

I'll be putting a Mud console in my at some point this year; looking at having radio head unit, CB, some Carling switches and a few status LEDs in it. Combine one with a Td5 speedo and some new VDO gauges and you've basically got a Td5 dash for far less faffing/effort.

From what I see/hear it's a very good piece of kit.

:o We have been directed to mudstuff's site. But some of us :huh: want to see the cabins, dashboards or a situation where pictures are taken from a defender. I am the type who always supports words with pictures :wub: Can't someone just show us some pics.. (not the p##$no type though) <_<

We all got itchy eyes don't we?? B)

You got it all in now then Martin?

Lets have a look then mate, get some picies up!! :D

Yes mate, put it in this afternoon - took me a couple of hours (no assistants to hand!).

Went in dead easy with excellent, clear instructions and good quality fittings. I'll add a picture tomorrow if you like. :)

I have only one piece of advice - I fitted my CB in the top angled bit and my stereo in the bottom - they touch at the back! This makes the wiring really crushed in so make sure you measure up better than I did! It's going to be really tight if I ever decide to fit some switches in between the two.

Also, they say you should be able to fit the rail back on top of the dash when you put it all back together - I couldn't, I had to chop a lump out of it and put it back in two separate bits - of course, this could be because of the afore-mentioned cb/stereo problem but that has more to do with my own stupidity than any shortcomings in the console.

Overall - well chuffed, looks really good!

:o We have been directed to mudstuff's site. But some of us :huh: want to see the cabins, dashboards or a situation where pictures are taken from a defender. I am the type who always supports words with pictures :wub: Can't someone just show us some pics.. (not the p##$no type though) <_<

We all got itchy eyes don't we?? B)

Oh stop whinging :rofl:

WOW loads of replies. Seems like a very good bit of kit if Most people are fitting it.

As for the radio cb issue do you think its cause you put the cb in the top and radio in the bottom. Would it have fitted better if the other way around or do they just touch naturally?

Cheers Guys

Jamie

WOW loads of replies. Seems like a very good bit of kit if Most people are fitting it.

As for the radio cb issue do you think its cause you put the cb in the top and radio in the bottom. Would it have fitted better if the other way around or do they just touch naturally?

Cheers Guys

Jamie

down to the amount of space & angle of the LR bulkhead, not much can be done about the 2 units touching, only way to prevent touching is use a spacer on one or fit them stacked with any switches/gauges on the angled face.

loads of pictures of various customers installs on the mudstuff website.