It's not Christmas but...

Guest diesel_jim

I just counted the rings.... about 31..... does that mean it's 31 years old?

or 31 times stronger? :rolleyes::D

OK, the shaft is 30 spline - so, my guess is either that yo are running a Toyota diff, front shafts and CV's into custom drive flanges, or you've had new front inner shafts made to use with toyota CV's with standard diffs and custom flanges?

Close?

Either way - good idea!

Si

OK, the shaft is 30 spline - so, my guess is either that yo are running a Toyota diff, front shafts and CV's into custom drive flanges, or you've had new front inner shafts made to use with toyota CV's with standard diffs and custom flanges?

Close?

Either way - good idea!

Si

OK, my turn now: Toyota 30 spline diffs, Longfield 30 spline shafts and their latest CVs (sorry, the falts sides are a give away) plus drive flanges. :D

A series II or a LWT by the looks of the grill

:lol:

That's not mine

:(

OK, my turn now: Toyota 30 spline diffs, Longfield 30 spline shafts and their latest CVs (sorry, the falts sides are a give away) plus drive flanges. :D

Just CVs and custom made axles.

I'll keep my ARBs

:)

You guys are too clever,made it the shortest game ever

:P

Your Cube is really taking shape. Post up some pics when you do the CV swap.

Anyone care to guess how this compares with the stregthened CVs Ashcroft now supply (which would run with stock shafts)?

Your Cube is really taking shape. Post up some pics when you do the CV swap.

Anyone care to guess how this compares with the stregthened CVs Ashcroft now supply (which would run with stock shafts)?

Both are VERY strong, you get to the point where the inner shaft is going to be the weak link of the axle. Ashcroft get my money, though, as I'm only an hour or so from them and there's no machining or conversion parts are needed.

Surely not.... Toyota parts in the best 4X4 BY FAR........... :o:o

You just need one of their engines with VVTi and your' smokin........(or at least your tyres will be..... :lol::D

Nah mate

:rolleyes:

no way.

The only 'yota thing is the pattern,they're not even made in Japan,get the point?

:lol:

and the bushing will serve as reference for in-house machining (or whatever it's called).

As to strenght...the scientific way would be to put them to the test using one of those custom made machines...

This should give accurate numbers to make engineers and scientists happy for a while

:)

For the Longs it has been done already,I will link the graph...

As to the average user (me) I'm happy enough to know they're up to far bigger tyres I will ever be allowed to run...accordingly to reports and threads they're stronger than R&P.

The Cube is not going to be a Yankee rockcrawler so I don't really bother,I just liked the idea and it's a good chance to tinker on my own truck...which I like more and more as it gets (the tinkering...and the truck obviously!)

:wub:

And learn something in the process!

I have a spare pair of 110 type (oil bathered) sviwels I'm cleaning in the workshop,I will take pics of the various steps and hopefully be able to start soon...I'm contemplating the idea to modify the chrome balls to correct castor while I'm there and this could slow things down a bit.

Ben (isuzurover) is kindly guiding me so not to forget anything and keep things clear (I'm a bit :wacko: sometimes).

Originally Posted by camo

................................................ft lbs * degree * inner axle used * failure

stock toy birf..............................3700 .....30........long 4340.......birf exploded

randys birf elimn kit......................5000.....40........randys ...........ujoint broke

long treated oem birf....................5100 .....45.......long 4340.......stub broke

newfield 4340 birf........................7000......80.......300 m.............inner axle broke

longfield 4340 birf........................7000......80.......300 m.............inner axle broke

longfield 30 spline birf...................8900.....120......4340..... .........inner axle broke

stock toy 27 spline inner axle..........4000....20.......................... ..axle broke

stock dana 44 30 spline inner..........5200....25......................... ...ears broke

pig toy 27 spline 4340 inner............5500....90....................... .....axle broke

yukon dana 44 30 spline 4340 inner..5800....48............................yoke broke

longfield toy 27 spline 4340 inner.....6500....80............................ax le broke

stock dana 60 35 spline stub..........8300......80 ..........................ears broke

yukon dana 60 35 spline 4340 stub..12000....90..........................shaft broke

Referring to the Gen I Longs.

Looking good Michele. I am now wishing I had waited a year to buy mine, but the overall strength should be the same, just yours should last longer with the bigger balls. :lol: Especially since you are using yours in a DD application.

Hey All the cool kids are doing it!!

You know how it is... You see a new board and there is something new to see.. Some of the other boards are getting tiresome..

I thought about "sneaking in to see what you where up to..:) but I'm too up front for that... Plus in a forum I can help you out if you like..

K

Wait till Ben starts asking us to measure our balls!! :unsure:

You mean you haven't done it yet??? :lol:

I am happy with my early model CVs - since I will be fitting them into series housings. But I have been toying with the idea of fitting some 80 series Longfields instead... Apparently there is enough room, after some mods to the top swivel pin... But I come up with lots of crazy ideas, so I will probably forget about it...

Keith, I am interested in the 30 spline 300m salisbury axles you mentioned. Any more info/prices (feel free to email/PM).

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy