Calling all Td5 Gurus

My 2000 D110 is gutless off the blocks and I need to rev it to 2000 rpm to get it going.

The thing has an Allisport intercooler, Allisport re-chip, Td5 Alive EGR bypass, turbo booster box, Td5 Alive exhaust and it seems to have less power than a stock Td5.

Everything seems to work fine and I have no fault codes.

Is there any adjustments that need to be done.

By thew: I'm in the US so any help is a big help.

It is a MY 2000 engine.

Thanks.

When my MAF sensor went US I had the same issue within a 30 second window of starting the engine. Are all your sensors reading within limits as well as not reporting a fault? My MAF did not show any fault codes, just a constant reading of 4 (cubic feet/min IIRC) regardless of engine speed.

Chris

Try disconnecting the Airflow meter,this will make the engine ecu run a default value.If it restores the performance you have a dead one.Replacing it will give a bit more top end "shine" but lower down they make little difference.In todays financial situation there are lots of TD5's running around with them disconnected - and TD4's too.

On Testbook they should show 55-60Kg/Hr at idle hot,A/C off and about 330Kg/Hr at 3000rpm running free.

When my MAF sensor went US I had the same issue within a 30 second window of starting the engine. Are all your sensors reading within limits as well as not reporting a fault? My MAF did not show any fault codes, just a constant reading of 4 (cubic feet/min IIRC) regardless of engine speed.

Chris

I have a brand new MAF sensor in there.

Is thie lack of performance new or has it always been like this since you had the vehicle?

Is the US diesel the same grade as UK ? (I understand that you might have different types of fuel to UK)

What altitude/temperature are we talking about here ?

Has it had a service recently (air filter etc)?

If you have diagnostics check the transfer box sensor as I have seen a couple which have failed which means you end up with a throttle that thinks its in low range. You could try shorting the switch if you dont have diagnostics.

Ben

If you have diagnostics check the transfer box sensor as I have seen a couple which have failed which means you end up with a throttle that thinks its in low range. You could try shorting the switch if you dont have diagnostics.

Ben

You can check this by setting part throttle on the pedal and cycling between high and low range; if its working the revs should change even if you hold your foot still because of the different mapping of the pedal.

Never completely discount a brand new part just because it is brand new :)

My 110 is a new build from a NAS 110 and and Td5 hi-cap engine with 75,00 miles.

Don't know how it was before but everything was checked and triple checked. Anything that was working properly, was replaced.

I think diesel is similar to UK.

I'm running it at sea level.

Is thie lack of performance new or has it always been like this since you had the vehicle?

Is the US diesel the same grade as UK ? (I understand that you might have different types of fuel to UK)

What altitude/temperature are we talking about here ?

Has it had a service recently (air filter etc)?

the turbo doesnt really start to produce boost until around 1800-2000rpm... so is it not kinda to be expected that it wont really do anything below that point?

Have you driven any other TD5's as a comparison?

Bogmonster is right,I dont trust new parts - even genuine,so if you cant see its output as live data on Testbook I'd try disconnecting it.No cost and no harm,its worth a try.BTW under full load the turbo on a TD5 can be at full boost by 2100rpm and need to start wasting boost.A tired fuel pump can show similar results,so you could hook up a pressure gauge where the pipe enters the cyl head at the back.The pump should be capable of maintining 4 bar constant.

Check also that the wastegate arm is closing the flap fully,if the engine has been sitting around it could be sticking - they need to be totally sloppy in operation.

Yes. And the others I've driven have a lot more punch.

the turbo doesnt really start to produce boost until around 1800-2000rpm... so is it not kinda to be expected that it wont really do anything below that point?

Have you driven any other TD5's as a comparison?

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Many many apologies for dragging this back up, but I'm trying to find all info about getting a bit more power from my Td5.

Real interested in this Volvo mod. Presumably 15% more air = a little more power, but the part is a mystery.

Was working on my mother's Volvo V50 this week and noticed that the MAF looked very similar to the Td5 one. Her car has the D5 engine (2.4 5cyl). Detuned in the V50 to around 174bhp

Anyone know who 540is is, he made that one intriguing post and did a Keyser Soze???

What I might do, if I can sneak it, is pinch her MAF and see whether it A. fits, and B. does anything nice to my Td5. Unless someone knows any reason why these two should not be wed?

EDIT: Hey Surf110, is that what I think it is on your roof?