Land Rover Mobile phone.

Les Henson

Remember the Land Rover S1 - the phone from the car manufacturer that promises the same levels of ruggedness and reliability in the palm of your hand as you would expect behind the wheel? Well it's just been released! Read on for the full details… Land Rover 's spin-off branded mobile phone - the Land Rover S1 - may look like the kind of 'Army' walkie-talkie you nagged your mum to buy you when you were ten, but is in fact a 'rugged' mobile phone designed to keep you talking in the most extreme conditions and/or during the school run.

The Land Rover S1 has been designed and built by Sonim Technologies, who have some form in this area. Rather than just slap a bit of padding on the outside and give it a smaller screen, Sonim have created the 'Rugged Performance Standard' - a twelve-point set of features that it believes all such devices should adhere to, including 'Fully submersible to a depth of one metre', 'Survives being dropped onto hard surfaces from up to two metres' and 'Extra-Loud speakers for use in extremely noisy environments'.

2-metre drop and damp to 1- metre? No good for you challenge boys :)

http://www.itpro.co.uk/608865/land-rover-r...ed-mobile-phone

Les :)

It should be OK if it is a rebranded version of the JCB phone aka Sonim XP1. Not apparently 100% waterproof but somebody at work has one and seems to spend most of his time wandering around in the rain and mud yakking on it so I guess its OK.

The new XP3 is IP57 waterproof (IPx7 is submersible to 1m for 30 minutes so even OK for Ladoga...!) - it isn't clear which LR phone is based on which Sonim model so maybe/hopefully they are based on the XP3 version.

I thought about an XP1 but in the end went for a Samsung M110 for half the price - also waterproof-ish but not submersible but its been wet, bashed, dropped etc and apart from light scratching on the screen still looks good. Very basic though, but if it dies in a bizarre winching incident it won't cause too many tears at the price. I've nearly had it for long enough to justify replacing it :ph34r:

A good list of the current available rugged models is here http://www.mphone.co.uk/rugged_tough_phone.html

Edit ... found this http://www.landroverphone.co.uk/ :)

The pictures look like the XP3.

Great phone... Waterproof, great bettery life, LOUD and very rugged.... You get a belt clip with it which is very useful too...

But...

Bluetooth is pants.. Drops call after about a second. It doesn't share the phone book with the car like it should etc.

Texting is "weird" but you do get used to it.

It's very rugged.. Mines got tooth marks where the kids were throwing it for the dog !!!

Well worth it if you use the phone out of the car in a noisy environment. Can take what ever weather you throw at it etc.

Neil

PS. You can get an unlocked Sonim XP3 for about £100 less than advertised in the links above by shopping for it on Ebay.. It won't say Land Rover, but does the job.

Bluetooth is pants.. Drops call after about a second. It doesn't share the phone book with the car like it should etc.

The Samsung is like that - can't use phonebook/voice recognition etc, just the basic answer/hang up - but it doesn't drop the calls. Seems to be a risk of small-volume phones - I never thought about compatibility till after I had both the phone and the Parrot. Moral of the story is that "Bluetooth is not Bluetooth" ...

Hi Folks

I have been using the XP1 now for more than a year and I am very happy and I am hard to please with mobiles, ( I used Ericson 250pro before, just for ref, have killed Samsungs, Siemens, and Nokias all ment to be "working" ones) The XP1 was the forerunner to XP3.

As far as I know the LR phone is the XP3 Quest, as stated elswhere the text is carp, but you get used to it, is is a phone nothing else!!!!

And Sonim offers 3 years warranty.

Regards

Ole.

Hi Folks

I have been using the XP1 now for more than a year and I am very happy and I am hard to please with mobiles, ( I used Ericson 250pro before, just for ref, have killed Samsungs, Siemens, and Nokias all ment to be "working" ones) The XP1 was the forerunner to XP3.

As far as I know the LR phone is the XP3 Quest, as stated elswhere the text is carp, but you get used to it, is is a phone nothing else!!!!

And Sonim offers 3 years warranty.

Regards

Ole.

The Sonim XP3 Quest is yet to be officially launched... but the U.S will be the first to get it. I just flew into Dubai from New York this morning and was looking for it there with no joy :( . I have the regular SONIM XP3 and have to agree with most of the comments on here. As a phone it works really well...but the yuppy brigade won't like it.

My only gripe so far is that some of the buttons get stuck in after dipping it in lager to amuse the ladies :lol: and being a Land Rover phone it sometimes leaves an oil stain if you don't pick it up & move it around every now and again.

Battery power is great, texting is frustrating though, speaker volume is brilliant, Blue tooth works fine with my Alpine BT unit and Motorola headset, I love it because it's so easy to clean after getting back from the desert or the beach.

If you are looking for this phone then do wait for the Quest XP3. It has GPS & compass on top of the usual Milspec 17 features.

Looks like the Land Rover one has a built in GPS and Camera with flash, I cant see that on the "standard" Sonim XP3 - which is a bit strange if its in the same shell / case etc...

Edit: Update, the Land Rover phone is based on the Sonim XP3.20 "Quest" phone which has all the same features (rather than the standard XP3) .

I can imagine that we would need a separate forum for that:

- There is a slight squeeky noise comming from the "3" button; but only if I use the phone outside and its raining. can anyone help?

- What's the part No. for the rear battery cover? 2010 xp3.20.002 model (NAS?)

i hope its not the JCB phone or atleast its an updated version, because mine was carp, broke within 2 weeks, the droppable from 2 metres is a myth/lie mine broke from a .5 metre drop from tractor steps, sent it back got a new one. Three weeks later it decided that it didnt like making calls, sent it back. Got a new one it did the same thing so i bought a cheap used unlocked nokia off ebay and retired the JCB that was it, nokia survives. Father broke/drowned his in the parlour so sent the JCB back, got a new one, it decided to not take incoming calls so sent it back, new one arrives and survives till end of the contact which was 3ish months!

so in reply to the first post, yes it will break down alot, generally be a nuisance and try and not do what its meant but atleast it wont leak oil on your drive

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm... it seems the Land Rover phone is locked to Orange (and only provided on an Orange tarrif)

www.landroverphone.co.uk sells them as "SIM Free" so if it wouldn't work with any SIM I would think you could sue them for a false description!

Orange would be about as much use to me here as a set of Orange springs so it's just as well I had no intention of wasting three hundred quid anyway :)